Even more union thugs about to lose their jobs!

By zzyzzx   Follow   Thu, 15 Nov 2012, 6:38am   892 views   12 comments
In Baltimore MD 21230   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

http://www.kwch.com/business/kwch-hostess-ceo-gives-striking-workers-thursday-deadline-20121114,0,2860295.story

Hostess Brands CEO said Wednesday the company will liquidate unless striking workers return to the job by the end of the day on Thursday.

"We simply do not have the financial resources to survive an ongoing national strike," Greg Rayburn said in a statement.

Workers are protesting a contract imposed by a bankruptcy court. The bakers union has called the contract "outrageous."

A liquidation would result in more than 18,000 workers losing their jobs.

Over the weekend, workers in the Bakery, Confectionary, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union, or BCTGM, went on strike at Hostess-owned plants in several states. The strike includes workers at the Dolly Madison plant in Emporia.

Hostess filed for bankruptcy in January, the second time it has done so since 2004.

Union employees in Emporia say in August of last year the company stopped giving them their pension earning. They say it now wants to cut wages by eight percent.

"You put in the time, you put in the years, I mean, we all have dedicated our lives to the company and they just don't appreciate it," said one striking worker.

Steven Blakey says he he was looking forward to retiring from the company. He says what's going on now hurts not just him, but his family as well.

"I spent 30 years of my life, missed a lot of time with my family, now it's time for me to enjoy that time and I have to keep working, I'm missing out on a lot." said Blakey.

The Dolly Madison plant in Emporia is one of the city's largest employers.

Tuesday, Hostess said it will permanently close bakeries in Seattle, St. Louis and Cincinnati. Those three plants employ 627 people combined. The strike is in effect at 24 of Hostess' 33 plants.

Viewing Comments 1-12 of 12     Last »     See most liked comments

1. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    170 threads
    3,943 comments
    Premium

1   8:13am Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike   Protected  

We really need to put pensions under "Wages and Salaries" in the Bankruptcy process, since many people take a lower paying job with benefits over a higher paying job with less benefits; that shouldn't be penalized.

Taxpayers should not be on the hook for unpaid pensions.

2. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    50 threads
    3,646 comments

2   8:46am Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Ah yes- typical right wing response: Automatically blame the unions. Yes indeedy.

3. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    764 threads
    6,558 comments
    Baltimore, MD

3   11:41am Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

When the union thugs are making well above market wages and that bankrupts the company, it IS the union's fault.

4. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    50 threads
    3,646 comments

4   11:50am Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (3)  

zzyzzx says

When the union thugs are making well above market wages and that bankrupts the company, it IS the union's fault.

Without Unions we would be working 12-14 hour days, have no benefits, no safety regulations, have to work weekends, have no worker's compensation, and be getting paid diddly-squat. So perhaps instead of blaming unions for anything and everything, those who whine about them should be thanking them instead.

The only reason right wingers go after unions is because the GOP doesn't like the fact that unions tend to lean democratic, hence they have obviously succeeded in filling the heads of their followers with a generic mantra that all unions must be bad. Nothing more to it. Right wing propaganda.

5. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    713 threads
    8,745 comments

5   12:07pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

edvard2 says

Without Unions we would be working 12-14 hour days, have no benefits, no safety regulations, have to work weekends, have no worker's compensation, and be getting paid diddly-squat. So perhaps instead of blaming unions for anything and everything, those who whine about them should be thanking them instead.

6. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    713 threads
    8,745 comments

6   12:10pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

zzyzzx says

Hostess Brands CEO said Wednesday the company will liquidate unless striking workers return to the job by the end of the day on Thursday.

"We simply do not have the financial resources to survive an ongoing national strike," Greg Rayburn said in a statement.

Workers are protesting a contract imposed by a bankruptcy court. The bakers union has called the contract "outrageous."

A liquidation would result in more than 18,000 workers losing their jobs.

Companies that are held hostage by their employees NEVER WIN... these union guys should be happy they HAVE a job...

Excellent decision by the CEO...

7. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    764 threads
    6,558 comments
    Baltimore, MD

7   12:14pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

edvard2 says

I'm sure that was true 100 years ago, but not in my lifetime. Get with the times. I see unions pushing jobs out of the US and closing businesses. Every time I go to the store and can't find a made in USA product, I think of unions.

Or do you still drive a horse and buggy?

8. everything

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    3 threads
    720 comments

8   2:04pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Lol, and with death of unions so goes the 40 hour workweek. Health benefits, who knows what those are anymore, health care is a monopoly.

In your end game that's how this society takes the last of your money if you have any.

It is true we have federal laws to protect employees but not much real oversight, that's what the union was for.

That's why popcorn employees are screwed, industrial workers, same, heck with contract employees you are signing a contract that says you cannot sue the employer for anything.

Lots of red tape has come along since he death knell of the union. Sure, unions are not perfect, nor is humanity, it's the competition of the non union shops, private industry, doing more for less, or giving you less for more to feed the 1% percentile that destroy the unions.

It does not matter to me really, I am no shill for unions, they are operating with a really old set of rules, where they eat their own and those that come after always get less as the older union leaders give concessions out to protect what they already earned.

It's just kind of cool watching it all slowly come down, the reduction in living standards, and how even the employed become more dependent on government in the long run anyways vs. self dependent.

9. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    764 threads
    6,558 comments
    Baltimore, MD

9   4:05pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

everything says

with death of unions so goes the 40 hour workweek

Umm, we have things called "laws" that cover this.

10. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    44 threads
    1,629 comments
    Dublin, CA

10   4:20pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

zzyzzx says

everything says

with death of unions so goes the 40 hour workweek

Umm, we have things called "laws" that cover this.

What laws? There are slaves in high tech and finance that work 60-100 hr weeks. And the companies get away with it with impunity.

11. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    44 threads
    1,629 comments
    Dublin, CA

11   4:21pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Whoever hates unions ultimately hates America. The corps won't stop until everyone is working for bare minimum to pay for necessities, and their supporters enable it all in the name of some utopian dogma like the taliban.

12. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    764 threads
    6,558 comments
    Baltimore, MD

12   5:10pm Thu 15 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

dublin hillz says

What laws? There are slaves in high tech and finance that work 60-100 hr weeks. And the companies get away with it with impunity.

They are morons for not going home after their 40 hours are up. Either that of they goof off so much at work or are just plain slow. I've never had a problem getting everything I'm supposed to do and much more in a regular 40 hour work week..

zzyzzx is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 59 milliseconds to create.