Intern Just Happens To Be Beautiful 22-Year-Old Woman

By Dan8267   Follow   Thu, 15 Nov 2012, 8:35am   1,699 views   16 comments
In Boca Raton FL 33433   Watch (2)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

http://www.theonion.com/articles/intern-just-happens-to-be-beautiful-22yearold-woma,30356/

I've worked at companies that did exactly that.

Viewing Comments 1-16 of 16     Last »     See most liked comments

1. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    35 threads
    6,732 comments
    San Jose, CA

1   4:02pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

I once interviewed a smokin' hot early 20s woman for a position as a research assistant. Every technical question I asked she would just shrug and/or giggle. Later I met with the VP to review. He pointed out how smokin' hot she was. I agreed 100% but also pointed out she had no brains for the job. He agreed 100%. She was not hired. Instead we hired another kid who actually knew his shit.

I'd rather work at a company that hires brains over beauty any day. I get enough gorgeosity at home.

2. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

2   4:33pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Dan8267 says

I've worked at companies that did exactly that.

Yeah, I have too, sort of...

I remember, many years ago, sitting waiting to be interviewed and a stunning woman walks out of the interview room. I figure, "ah, well might as well go through the motions, I am not getting this job."

To my surprise, I got the job. I was not so surprised to later learn that the middle aged manager who hired me was gay.

I am sure that his gayness helped him look past the beauty of the other applicant, and hire the person who was most qualified for the job.

3. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,074 threads
    13,800 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

3   5:11pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

leo707 says

I am sure that his gayness helped him look past the beauty of the other applicant, and hire the person who was most qualified for the job.

Absolutely. If he had been straight, you'd been fucked.

Also, this kind of thing seems to happen in certain industries more than others like marketing and finance.

4. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    35 threads
    6,732 comments
    San Jose, CA

4   5:39pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Dan8267 says

leo707 says

Absolutely. If he had been straight, you'd been fucked.

Also, this kind of thing seems to happen in certain industries more than others like marketing and finance.

Not a chance!

If the manager had been straight Leo would not have been hired. Assuming Leo is male and given the hiring manager was gay Leo MIGHT have been fucked.

Gotta work for those promotions boy!

5. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,666 threads
    6,353 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

5   5:55pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

Several times over the years I've gone through the motions of asking for money from the vulture capitalists on Sand Hill Road.

Never got to second base with the VC's, but several of the receptionists there were so stunning I would get dizzy. My conclusion was that those VC guys have so much money and so little political correctness that they just go straight for the male fantasy type.

Or maybe it was actually some rational economic decision on their part. I don't care.

6. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    35 threads
    6,732 comments
    San Jose, CA

6   6:00pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Patrick says

Several times over the years I've gone through the motions of asking for money from the vulture capitalists on Sand Hill Road.

Never got to second base with the VC's, but several of the receptionists there were so stunning I would get dizzy. My conclusion was that those VC guys have so much money and so little political correctness that they just go straight for the male fantasy type.

Or maybe it was actually some rational economic decision on their part. I don't care.

No, your first conclusion was the correct one.

7. ducsingle5313

Follow
    Befriend
    4 threads
    205 comments
    Redwood City, CA

7   6:43pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Patrick says

After a few six-figure sexual harassment settlements, most professional firms figure out it's not worth the trouble and turn away the really hot applicants for admin positions.

8. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,666 threads
    6,353 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

8   7:34pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

I could believe there might be a culture of sexual harassment in those firms. There was a high-profile suit recently, but filed by a partner, not a receptionist:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/05/30/the-end-of-an-era-on-sand-hill/

9. mell

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    306 threads
    3,854 comments
    San Francisco, CA

9   7:59pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Patrick says

I could believe there might be a culture of sexual harassment in those firms. There was a high-profile suit recently, but filed by a partner, not a receptionist:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/05/30/the-end-of-an-era-on-sand-hill/

I don't believe much in those. Attractiveness is part of human nature and gives you an edge which you naturally use, but you are also naturally more often pursued or 'oogled'. Also the opposite happened to me once and as soon as you don't requit or - if you start an affair - stop requitting, you have to be very careful regarding harassment allegations. The industry is almost paranoid these days and male execs have to leave their doors open when talking to female employees. I draw the line at physical harassment which is inexcusable, but I find the verbal stuff too subjective and find any area of political correctness which turns 'innocent until proven guilty' into 'guilty until proven innocent' highly disturbing.

10. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,074 threads
    13,800 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

10   8:47pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Patrick says

My conclusion was that those VC guys have so much money and so little political correctness that they just go straight for the male fantasy type.

I think the attractive women are a status symbol for the firm. It's like saying, "look how rich we are; we can afford models for receptionists".

11. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    35 threads
    6,732 comments
    San Jose, CA

11   6:34pm Tue 20 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Dan8267 says

Patrick says

My conclusion was that those VC guys have so much money and so little political correctness that they just go straight for the male fantasy type.

I think the attractive women are a status symbol for the firm. It's like saying, "look how rich we are; we can afford models for receptionists".

That tells me they charge too much. Kind of like a realtor who drives a brand new S class Mercedes

12. exflirt

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    49 comments
    Chandler, AZ

12   1:09pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Exactly right, we all like nice looking things/people. And fundamentally there's not anything wrong with that.

The implications here are that the only reason attractive people would get hired is because they are pretty - heaven forbid we consider that a good looking person might make equal contributions in a work environment. Let's all just assume that pretty people are dumb and the "less pretty" are obviously more qualified candidates.

Not to say that plenty of lecherous men don't hire women based on their looks, and obviously the fewer qualifications required to do the job well the easier it is to just hire based on physical attributes. However, if you're a boss and you hire an unqualified candidate for that reason you're shooting yourself in the foot. Their job performance will not measure up and it will reflect badly on their boss (you), and that doesn’t translate well when it’s time for a raise!

Given a car that is well designed in every respect and an econobox that gets me from A-B, I'd chose the nice looking car and pay a bit more for it, too.

Assumed two people for a job with equal or near equal qualifications and attitudes, I'd go with the one that's easy on the eyes. And I bet you would too, or at least science says you would. And you’d likely pay them more than the plainer person :-)

mell says

Attractiveness is part of human nature and gives you an edge which you naturally use, but you are also naturally more often pursued or 'oogled'. ... The industry is almost paranoid these days and male execs have to leave their doors open when talking to female employees.

13. BayArea

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    59 threads
    407 comments
    Oakland, CA

13   1:31pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Interesting topic.

This sort of thing is definitely more prevalent in certain fields than in others.

Take engineering for instance (I'm in the Telecom field myself). When I was a student at UCLA, the engineering program was about 75% male. Of the 25% remaining, maybe 5% of that 25% were average to above average in the looks department.

From my experience in engineering field as an employee now, those numbers haven't diverged much. And therefore it's not really a big problem in my field. I've been working for 8+yrs and never once suspected any company I have worked at to be swayed by looks. And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they wouldn't, but more so the option isn't common since bombshell female engineers are rare.

However, once you get into other fields where the ratios start off leaning more to the female side compared to engineering, it starts to become more of an issue. Some fields that come to mind are business/finance, medical field, sales, etc.

One thing is for sure, if you are good looking (woman or man), generally you have more options than someone who isn't. To be fair, a new set of problems does typically arise (particularly for women) that probably wouldn't be experienced by the less good looking individuals. I.e. getting hit on, getting preferential treatment with the expectation of having to give something back, having your qualifications/IQ for rigorously questioned, etc...

I guess I am unique in that I have a slight prefer NOT to have the distraction of a hot unqualified 22yr old female intern in the work-place. If she is qualified and effective, I'll just have to live with it ;-)

14. BayArea

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    59 threads
    407 comments
    Oakland, CA

14   1:38pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

exflirt says

The implications here are that the only reason attractive people would get hired is because they are pretty - heaven forbid we consider that a good looking person might make equal contributions in a work environment. Let's all just assume that pretty people are dumb and the "less pretty" are obviously more qualified candidates.

Although I agree with you, isn't the world typically balanced?

A fraction of the population is great looking. Call it 10% or 20% or whatever "great looking" means for you.

And a fraction of the population is very smart. Again, call it 10% or 20% or whatever your IQ threshold is.

And a fraction of the population is extremely qualified. Again, call it 10% or 20% or whatever your definition is.

Now, if you consider the fraction of the population that is great looking, very smart, and extremely qualified, it's going to be very low that all three bullseyes are nailed. As a result, it's not difficult to understand that if a bombshell gets hired for a highly skilled position, many people are going to question her IQ or qualifications, generally speaking.

Of course there are people out there that have all three characteristics, and those people generally do very well (I'd throw in personality into the equation to bring it full circle as that has a huge influence on how far someone well go).

15. robynfrog

Follow
    Befriend
    10 comments
    Brookdale, CA

15   2:38pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I worked at a law firm that would only hire receptionists that were beautiful young women. Perfectly qualified, but less attractive, people would NOT be considered for the job. The office manager told me that the receptionist was the "first impression" that the firm made on any visitors, so it was important that she be good-looking.

16. legalbeagle

Follow
    Befriend
    1 comments

16   8:24pm Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

In service industries such as law or consulting, it can make sense. An attractive receptionist is no different than an expensive conference room. Both imply success and in turn, competence and skill.

Still, the risk of a partner or manager doing something supremely stupid and subjecting the firm to a possible harassment case is higher when you hire attractive people.

Which is why my current firm makes a practice *NOT* to hire attractive law school interns.

Dan8267 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 165 milliseconds to create.