SEARCH THE LEADING DISCOUNT REAL ESTATE DIRECTORY - 100% FREE (Advertisement)

Good bye, Twinkie – Hostess Brands liquidates

By tvgnus   Follow   Fri, 16 Nov 2012, 5:47am   4,920 views   59 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.centralvalleybusinesstimes.com/stories/001/?ID=22308

Hostess Brands Inc. of Irving, Texas, says it has filed for bankruptcy liquidation because workers, members of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers Union, struck its plants, including one in Sacramento.

Most Liked Comments

Sort by time instead  
  1. woppa

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    195 comments
    Bronx, NY

1   8:10am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (5)   Dislike  

I think it's sad that the twinkie is an American icon in the first place. Good riddens to that trash.

2. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    114 threads
    3,411 comments
    Premium

2   8:29am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (6)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Hostess declared bankruptcy previously in 2004. The Union took two pay cuts (not delayed wage increases, not frozen wages, but big thick pay cuts), was asked to take a third, and told their pension hadn't been contributed to in years and was going to default.

Bad Management/Changing Times.

3. Quigley

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    38 threads
    1,428 comments
    Huntington Beach, CA

3   8:34am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (1)  

FortWayne, you should do better research. The strike was the excuse, not the cause. Hostess has been struggling for years because people are becoming more health educated, and their products are patently unhealthy. It had plenty of opportunities to make positive changes but decided instead to stick with their original products and damn the consequences. Also there are knock-off products that compete for the dollars of the poor and the obese. In the end, they were inflexible, made a bad product, and deserve to crumble.

4. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    613 threads
    8,775 comments

4   11:59am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

?w=270&h=203

The Vicims...

All Hostess Brands employees will lose their jobs in the coming weeks, some sooner than others, the company announced Friday. The layoffs span nationwide, and represent a deep cut in mid-wage jobs that often came with benefits. The company had operated 33 bakeries, 565 distribution centers and 570 outlet stores across the country.

Many production workers earned up to $20 an hour, plus had access to medical benefits, according to Michael O'Brien, a former Hostess employee who had worked at the company for 45 years, in various sales functions, before he was offered a buyout last year.

"People inside the plants really made a good living," O'Brien said. "I feel sorry for them."

That's $20 an hour to wheel baker's trays of Twinkies around a plant, and take smoke breaks while the Ho Hos are in the oven.
    I wonder what books the guy that pushes the Green button in the morning then the Red button at quitting time, read in between?

5. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    942 threads
    11,100 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

5   1:31am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of fat asses cried out in despair and were suddenly silenced.

6. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    613 threads
    8,775 comments

6   7:26am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

"To the Union Hall"
    "Yeah"
    "But what will we do once we get there?"
    "To the Union Hall!"
    "Yeah!"

Although I never cared for Hostess products, they just taste overly processed. It's always a sad day when an Americana Icon goes under for all the wrong reasons.

7. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    612 threads
    7,045 comments

7   7:40am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

Although I never cared for Hostess products, they just taste overly processed. It's always a sad day when an Americana Icon goes under for all the wrong reasons.

Better run and stock up on Twinkies TODAY!!! I hear they have like a 30 year shelf life........

8. dodgerfanjohn

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    1,075 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

8   7:44am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Real life consequences.

9. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    135 threads
    4,928 comments

9   8:25am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

"To the Union Hall"

"Yeah"

"But what will we do once we get there?"

"To the Union Hall!"

"Yeah!"

Sadly for all the "American" reasons. Unions are really driving this nation down.

10. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    613 threads
    8,775 comments

10   8:41am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

edvard2 says

Ah yes.... typical right wing fodder: blame it all on the unions.

Can't blame anyone in the unemployment line, so it doesn't really matter now does it?

edvard2 says

I reckon one could always stockpile a bunch of these if you liked em enough since they last forever.

I bet if you buy one, and put it in a vault.
    Rick Harrison on Pawn Stars will pay top dollar for it 50 years.

If Chumley doesn't eat it first.

11. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    677 threads
    5,950 comments
    Baltimore, MD

11   11:16am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Would be better if we knew exactly the deal the the union thugs turned down.

12. rooemoore

Follow
    Befriend
    42 threads
    1,184 comments
    male
    Larkspur, CA

12   12:55pm Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

Yes, the real problem in this country is that junk food is too expensive. We need to keep wages low so that we can make cheap junk food that low wage earners can afford.

13. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    677 threads
    5,950 comments
    Baltimore, MD

13   4:14pm Sat 17 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

rooemoore says

But don't you think that maybe the discussion should be how can we get wages to go up?

Yeah, we need massive import duties, which I am in favor of.

14. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    677 threads
    5,950 comments
    Baltimore, MD

14   4:14pm Sat 17 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

elliemae says

Hostess needed to change with the times and chose not to. Had they attempted to offer healthier fare, change their recipes to at least giving the appearance of health

I'm not inclined to think that overpriced organic twinkees would have sold either.

15. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    325 threads
    2,449 comments

15   8:23am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Maybe some other companies will come in and buy them in bits and pieces, while jettisoning the debt?

16. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    44 threads
    3,320 comments

16   8:34am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (3)  

Ah yes.... typical right wing fodder: blame it all on the unions.

But anyway, I reckon one could always stockpile a bunch of these if you liked em enough since they last forever.

17. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    613 threads
    8,775 comments

17   8:50am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The Victim? Who the employees that lost their job, because the company went under. There aren't any Victims when you're laid off. For what ever the reason. Well I suppose there are, if you are incapable of staying relevant.

18. woppa

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    195 comments
    Bronx, NY

18   9:41am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Wonder bread is good for the kids? It is basically empty calories and has a 2-1 sodium to calorie ratio, where you should be eating things that contain a 1-1 ratio. Whole wheat bread is the only bread that is even close to nutritional, but still only good in very small amounts.

19. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    677 threads
    5,950 comments
    Baltimore, MD

19   10:26am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

thunderlips11 says

Hostess declared bankruptcy previously in 2004. The Union took two pay cuts (not delayed wage increases, not frozen wages, but big thick pay cuts), was asked to take a third

They were still making bloated union wages even with that third pay cut.

20. taxee

Follow
    Befriend
    88 threads
    466 comments
    El Cerrito, CA

20   10:33am Fri 16 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Think this through. Low, low taxes on huge executive salaries means you get type A people running businesses INTO the ground to get rich quick. I watched it happen were I worked. World class 70 year old company looted while being run by incompetent 'investors' and then bankrupted in less than 5 years. The top few guys walked away rich.

tvgnus is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 98 milliseconds to create.