Why city dwellers are Democrats

By tovarichpeter   Follow   Sat, 17 Nov 2012, 8:16am   779 views   9 comments
In South San Francisco CA 94080   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/politics/2012/11/political-map-weve-been-waiting/3908/

Sent from my iPad

Viewing Comments 1-9 of 9     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,039 threads
    12,933 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

1   1:04pm Sat 17 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (4)  

tovarichpeter says

In cities, there are enough potential mates that you don't have to reproduce with your siblings or cousins. That's why rural areas are so Republican.

2. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

2   1:26pm Sat 17 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

tovarichpeter says

Big spenders! yes. Must spend your earnings to wear the most hip and trendiest fashion of the day in the big city.
    Big tabs spending on Friday/Saturday nites.. on booze if not weed...but dead broke by Sunday nite. And not a dime in savings when you hit the skids...

Yep... City Slickers !

3. tatupu70

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    23 threads
    8,106 comments

3   2:30pm Sat 17 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

thomaswong.1986 says

Big tabs spending on Friday/Saturday nites.. on booze if not weed...but dead broke by Sunday nite.

lol--you've obviously never lived in rural America. They do their share of drinking and drugs...

4. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    125 threads
    19,097 comments

4   2:43pm Sat 17 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

City dwellers are more likely to be sheep. Of course, not all democrats are sheep. Some are shepherds. And some just happen to sympathize with sheep.

Alas, republicans nowadays are acting more like cult members.

5. dodgerfanjohn

Follow
    Befriend
    37 threads
    1,431 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

5   8:34pm Sun 18 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Peter P says

City dwellers are more likely to be sheep. Of course, not all democrats are sheep. Some are shepherds. And some just happen to sympathize with sheep.

Alas, republicans nowadays are acting more like cult members.

This has some degree of merit.

Many of the occupants of the building are utterly clueless individuals in multiple ways. But combine two homosexual secretaries and you have a household income of two uneducated people who socially sympathize with the democrats and a "ho ho ho ho" attitude about life.

Until one or the other loses their job. Then its the fault of the rich. Which still leaves them voting for democrats.

6. tatupu70

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    23 threads
    8,106 comments

6   6:18pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Melmakian says

Because as a general rule the rural areas breed self-reliance while the cities breed dependency.

Once again, spoken like someone who has never lived in rural America. Ask someone who works in the local WalMart or grocery store what the percentage of people paying with WIC is. I think you'll be surprised.

7. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    116 threads
    4,363 comments

7   8:38pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Melmakian says

breed self-reliance

Nearly the entire state of Idaho depends on federal $ from DC, which is paid primarily by people who live in coastal areas. Yet, instead of being grateful, the Idaho white supremacists and religious fundamentalists strut their arrogance, pretend to moral superiority, and vote Larry Craig and Romnesia. Really disgusting.

8. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

8   9:54pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

curious2 says

Nearly the entire state of Idaho depends on federal $ from DC, which is paid primarily by people who live in coastal areas. Yet, instead of being grateful, the Idaho white supremacists and religious fundamentalists strut their arrogance, pretend to moral superiority, and vote Larry Craig and Romnesia. Really disgusting.

are you sure they arent Californians who moved to Idaho.. now living off their savings/pension/social security.. as some here once said.. have you planned out your exit strategy. Idaho.. isnt that where all the natural gas and new oil deposits are .. far more then the saudi arabia.... sounds like moving there any buying up the land was a smart move.

Mapping Migration: Who Moves To Idaho
    May 16, 2012 | 2:33 PM
    By Emilie Ritter Saunders

http://stateimpact.npr.org/idaho/maps/mapping-migration-who-moves-to-idaho/

Chances are you’re more likely to meet a Floridian than a North Dakotan in Idaho. From 2009 to 2010, Idaho’s seen more than 1,000 people come from the Sunshine State.

In the last decade, Idaho’s population has grown by more than 20 percent. U.S. Census Bureau data show nearly 275,000 people moved to the Gem State from 2000 to 2010. Idaho’s rate of growth outpaced the national average which saw its population go up by about 10 percent in the last decade.

9. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,039 threads
    12,933 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

9   10:54pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Melmakian says

Because as a general rule the rural areas breed self-reliance while the cities breed dependency.

This is just a cultural myth propagated by rural areas. The red states and rural areas are way more dependent on government hand outs or "subsidies" than we city slickers.

Think about all the agricultural, oil, and mining subsidies. Think about the post office subsidies for people living in the middle of nowhere. UPS and Fed Ex will use the USPS to ship things to rural areas because it's not worth the expense to ship the item themselves. The USPS makes shipping to rural areas cheap by overcharging city customers.

As an urbanite, I've always been self-reliant. I paid my own way through college by working. I pay my own rent, bought my car with cash, and have never relied on handouts. I'm way more self-reliant than the vast majority of country bumpkins.

Oh, and the whole "small, white farmer" thing is also a myth. Farms today are mega-corporations that hire illegal immigrants (Mexicans) to do the physical work because they are cheaper. There are no Jonathan and Martha Kent in today's agriculture.

tovarichpeter is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 50 milliseconds to create.