Adults learn to swim in 6 Day phoenix Vacation - End of Fear! (Advertisement)

2509 Begonia St, Union City, CA 94587

By SunnyCal   Follow   Sun, 18 Nov 2012, 7:46am   1,930 views   14 comments
In Union City CA 94587   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Union-City/2509-Begonia-St-94587/home/530127?source=Patrick.net

Similar houses in this area were selling for upper 300's lower 400's a few months ago. I checked this house out. Seems like some upgrades were done, all the appliances have stickers hanging off them. Never been used is what the realtor said.
For the area it seems expensive to me.
I live on the same street and rent for 1750 + gardner.
(never owned, rented for 15 years in different cities)

We were planning on making an offer of 435000. Suggestions?

Viewing Comments 1-14 of 14     Last »     See most liked comments

1. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    62 threads
    2,499 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

1   2:43pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (2)  

Nice paper house. Half a million sounds about right. That is a good price for approx. 6000sqft of landfill. Just don't plan on doing a vegetable garden in the back.

On the plus side, if there is a fire, you can just punch your way out through the walls. Hell, if you are lucky enough to be in the kitchen, a steak knife would be enough to cut a new door if needed.

:)

2. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    62 threads
    2,499 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

2   2:47pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Also, just so you know. The place is in a "very high" grade of liquefaction. Check it out

http://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/sfgeo/liquefaction/susceptibility.html

I'd get your helicopter license and have one sitting in the backyard in place of vegetables.

3. pkennedy

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    28 threads
    1,386 comments
    male

3   12:30pm Tue 27 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

E-man has learned how to access far too much information on his own, and he knows exactly how to use it.

Sending in an offer means understanding what is motivating the owner to sell, and E-man closes deals because he knows what is motivating the seller and how to approach them and he's very likely pegged it here. The guy has no strings you can pull. He's got plenty of money, he renovated for a reason, and now he can wait it out.

4. SunnyCal

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    9 comments
    Union City, CA

4   1:04pm Tue 27 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Thanks E-man, pkennedy.
    E-man, Is this real information or just a likely scenario?

My rental is a 100 sqft smaller than this one.

5. SunnyCal

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    9 comments
    Union City, CA

5   1:08pm Tue 27 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

RentingForHalfTheCost,

I actually do have a vegetable garden in my backyard.

I'd probably put my ham license to use and radio for a helicopter.

6. SunnyCal

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    9 comments
    Union City, CA

6   4:47pm Sun 2 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Latest on this...

The deadline to receive offers was changed twice and this Saturday they had another open house.
    I talked to the 'sellers' real estate agent and he said that there was very good response and the owner is trying to get more money for the house. He said that the highest offer he received was 535K.
    I guess he is waiting it out...

7. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    255 threads
    3,075 comments
    San Francisco, CA

7   8:25pm Sun 2 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

I think you should put in your initial offer unless it is a lot of hassle since it is very likely not going to be accepted (the winning bid can always fall through though). I think once you are pre-approved or have all cash, putting in offers is no work at all (I only bid once on a place and all we had to do was telling the agent the amount). If you have the time to determine the amounts you are comfortable with (as opposed to what is the asking price) you might
    a) either luck out one day
    b) determine that the market is on steroids aka cheap credit (again) and overpriced

or both :)

I am not looking but I have been to a couple of open houses throughout the years and never had a problem telling anybody who was present (realtors, owners, other buyers) what I would pay for this place and it was usually at least 20% below asking price ;)

8. SunnyCal

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    9 comments
    Union City, CA

8   4:26pm Mon 3 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Thank you E-man, mell. Since I have never made an offer before. I think I'll probably just make an offer.

9. yup1

Follow
    Befriend
    10 threads
    408 comments

9   4:45pm Mon 3 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

SunnyCal save yourself lots of money and buy in February or early March before the spring rush.........

10. SunnyCal

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    9 comments
    Union City, CA

10   5:11pm Tue 4 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

yup1 says

SunnyCal save yourself lots of money and buy in February or early March before the spring rush.........

Looks like I am headed in that direction.

11. SunnyCal

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    9 comments
    Union City, CA

11   5:12pm Tue 4 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

E-man says

SunnyCal says

Thank you E-man, mell. Since I have never made an offer before. I think I'll probably just make an offer.

In this supposedly hot market, the property will go stale after 30 days on the market. However, the owner will eventually get the price they want if they hold out long enough. There's a saying that a sucker born every minute. :)

Seems like that. Latest is that there were 12 offers on this and the highest was 540K. Another realtor told me that there is a crazy bidding war going on.

12. SunnyCal

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    9 comments
    Union City, CA

12   5:14pm Tue 4 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

E-man says

Looking at the pictures, the roof is at the end of its life. That would be a $7k-$8k expense. Does the outside need a new coat of paint? The front lawn can use a face lift too. Too much weeds on the lawn from the picture. So I guess another $12k improvement would make this house look very nice inside out. The grease and dirt on the driveway can be cleaned with a 3,000 psi pressure washer.
    Renting for half the cost, almost the entire Bay Area is in liquefaction zone. As long as your property is not located on an old landfill or hydraulic filled sand, you should be okay in most cases. Look at the geology of Foster City, San Francisco, Marina, and Oakland. People are still buying in certain part of these areas where properties are sitting right on top of liquefy able sand. Crazy.

Thanks. I am amazed you can tell so much by just looking at the pictures.

13. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    679 threads
    5,958 comments
    Baltimore, MD

13   6:23pm Fri 14 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

SunnyCal says

Latest is that there were 12 offers on this

14. E-man

Follow
    Befriend (31)
    34 threads
    873 comments
    Portland, OR

14   9:34am Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

SunnyCal says

Seems like that. Latest is that there were 12 offers on this and the highest was 540K. Another realtor told me that there is a crazy bidding war going on.

@Sunnycal,

So it was correct that the highest offer was not the best offer because it sold for $505k. If you look at the time frame, it took about 3 weeks for the property to go pending. That means they had some offers by the 2nd week to play around with and the counter and re-counter offers took about a week or so.

It closed in 3 weeks. Wow, the loan officer was doing his/her job.

yup1 says

Yup, looks like that was not the right bet. :)

SunnyCal is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 95 milliseconds to create.