City of San Francisco trying to ban public nudity

By zzyzzx   Follow   Sun, 18 Nov 2012, 2:55pm   1,090 views   19 comments
In Baltimore MD 21230   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

http://news.yahoo.com/public-nudity-ban-eyed-fed-san-francisco-191355793.html

City lawmakers are scheduled to vote Tuesday on an ordinance that would prohibit nudity in most public places.

The most part makes me wonder what places might have gotten exempted.

Supervisor Scott Wiener's proposal would make it illegal for a person over the age of 5 to "expose his or her genitals, perineum or anal region on any public street, sidewalk, street median, parklet or plaza" or while using public transit.

The supervisor's last name seems suspicious given the content of the article.

Viewing Comments 1-19 of 19     Last »     See most liked comments

1. mell

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    284 threads
    3,657 comments
    San Francisco, CA

1   3:10pm Sun 18 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

This is really unnecessary. There have been a few individuals and small groups mostly in the Castro district who enjoy their days in the sun naked. They don't hurt anybody and just want to be left alone. They are already using towels when sitting on chairs. More regulation bs. Admitteldy tough SF is one fot he few areas that has been very tolerant which is great, the bay area also has quite a few nude beaches where you can grill your whole body on a nice summer day. Spike deserves to see the sunlight once in a while as well and load up on Vitamin D ;)

2. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    939 threads
    11,849 comments

2   3:40pm Sun 18 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

Well they are going to get Sun Cancer and put a health care burden on Mayor Bloomberg.
    I think they need to cover up, so people don't get thirsty looking at them then have to go to 7-11 and buy a Big Gulp. Then they will get contagious Diabetes and spread it around making healthcare more expensive, and the ice to melt and the oceans to rise.

New Rules nobody can do a damn thing they either like or enjoy. But they must be mandated to do all of the shit they despise and detest.

Aint Democracy grand?

3. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    939 threads
    11,849 comments

3   3:45pm Sun 18 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

In fact I say they should make a PSA with people in hospital beds withering away from Skin Cancer lecturing people on the dangers of even walking out the door in the sun. It should then be on rotation to play during every commercial break in the Bay area television market, from this day henceforth.

It's about time they get a good taste of their rotten nasty shit, they like to lay on the rest of the country.

4. upisdown

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    1,618 comments

4   3:55pm Sun 18 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

zzyzzx says

Supervisor Scott Wiener's proposal

Too funny. We have a nudist colony about a half mile from our w/e cabin, and the only annoying part about it is the 60-70 y/o women that haven't worn a bra since they burned it in the 60s. I remember the first time our son asked me about hippy woman's boobs, and why they hung out the bottom of her t-shirt. You'd think that he saw a ghost.

5. mell

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    284 threads
    3,657 comments
    San Francisco, CA

5   4:33pm Sun 18 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

In fact I say they should make a PSA with people in hospital beds withering away from Skin Cancer lecturing people on the dangers of even walking out the door in the sun. It should then be on rotation to play during every commercial break in the Bay area television market, from this day henceforth.

It's about time they get a good taste of their rotten nasty shit, they like to lay on the rest of the country.

The problem is that Vitamin D deficiency is prevalent in the bay area because most do cover up all the time and - worse - wear sun screen all the time which has been pushed by pharma and dermatologists. Skin cancer awareness is pretty high by now while VItamin D deficiency (appropriate Vit. D levels can prevent a sleuth of internal cancers) awareness is still in its infancy.

6. mmmarvel

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    3 threads
    1,076 comments
    Missouri City, TX

6   5:15pm Sun 18 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

upisdown says

only annoying part about it is the 60-70 y/o women that haven't worn a bra since they burned it in the 60s.

You never know, by the time you turn 60-70, those hangers might look pretty good to you :)

7. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    840 threads
    7,129 comments
    Baltimore, MD

7   6:08am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

mell says

the bay area also has quite a few nude beaches where you can grill your whole body on a nice summer day.

It gets hot enough there in the summer to do that???

8. upisdown

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    1,618 comments

8   7:43am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

mmmarvel says

You never know, by the time you turn 60-70, those hangers might look pretty good to you :)

The first time that I ever went there was because that gal stopped by and wanted to borrow some tools, or have me go there to get their lawnmower started. Seeing 60-70 y/o women walking around naked that haven't shaved their legs or crotch for what looked like 5 decades, is an actual form of birth control. Believe me.
    I can't see that much would change in finding that appealing if I were the same age. And some 70 y/o man's wrinkled balls hanging to his knees, probably isn't very appealing to her either.
    The woman that I refered to above, is every bit that age. She has hair down to her butt, and MOST of it is grey, and she puts on clothes that look like she stole them from her grand-daughter when she stops by our property. My wife tried to inform her of the boobs hanging out while trying not to embarrass her, and the old gal thought that she had a stray spark(we were sitting around a huge bonfire)that landed in her hair. Totally clueless AND shoeless too. She damnd near got hysterical thinking that her hair might be on fire.
    She rambles quite a bit too. I have a hard time trying to figure out what she's saying, so I've nicknamed her cousin it, or cousin tit when the kids aren't around.

9. coriacci1

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    73 threads
    334 comments

9   7:55am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

creepy scottie weinie, out of the closet supervisor, ex jesse helms activist and well funded real estate developer shill from the philadelphia area, is desperatly trying to make a big name for himself. can’t wait till he is voted off the board for this and his other unsavory stunts.

just cause he’s gay and lives in the castro doesn’t mean he’s good for the neighborhoods that make up his district.

10. mell

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    284 threads
    3,657 comments
    San Francisco, CA

10   8:27am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

zzyzzx says

mell says

the bay area also has quite a few nude beaches where you can grill your whole body on a nice summer day.

It gets hot enough there in the summer to do that???

It does, however usually late summer is better when the fog is gone, so August through October. Plus, some of the beaches are sheltered from the wind like baker beach right by Golden Gate Bridge. There is usually a large section in the beginning where it's mixed and clothed, then there is a smaller section towards the end where it's 80/20 men/women and out of the men it's 80/20 gay/straight. While it may not be that enticing for single women I have taken past girlfriends there who were either generally ok with it or curious and we always had a great time. I have also never heard of any incidents or crimes. It's a matter of culture and what you're accustomed to. When I had moved here from Europe I was eager to hit the Gym and after my first sweaty session at 24 hr fitness I went naked into the sauna to find a bunch of clothed men and women there. I thought they were weird while they were staring at me and then finally somebody told me that in the US coed Saunas mandate clothing around the private parts - rookie mistake ;)

11. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    840 threads
    7,129 comments
    Baltimore, MD

11   8:33am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

mell says

Plus, some of the beaches are sheltered from the wind like baker beach right by Golden Gate Bridge.

So tourists walking across the Golden Gate Bridge can break out their cameras, right?

12. mell

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    284 threads
    3,657 comments
    San Francisco, CA

12   8:37am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

zzyzzx says

mell says

Plus, some of the beaches are sheltered from the wind like baker beach right by Golden Gate Bridge.

So tourists walking across the Golden Gate Bridge can break out their cameras, right?

Yes, but I assume you need a really good zoom and no fog - it's a heck of a tall bridge!

13. Ceffer

Follow
    Befriend
    18 threads
    3,616 comments
    Berkeley, CA

13   9:19am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

"Seeing 60-70 y/o women walking around naked that haven't shaved their legs or crotch for what looked like 5 decades, is an actual form of birth control."

Must explain a lot of bigfoot sightings.

14. mell

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    284 threads
    3,657 comments
    San Francisco, CA

14   8:47am Thu 22 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2012-11-21/worldwide-spectacle-banning-san-francisco%E2%80%99s-naked-soul
    [...]
    A tourist interested in naked people may be disappointed, though. In our neighborhood, I’ve never seen any. In North Beach, a few minutes away, I’ve run into a couple of guys, a few years apart, stragglers who’d forgotten to put on their clothes. On the beach down the street (Aquatics Park), people sunbathe properly attired, though there is a nude section on Baker Beach.

While driving down a busy street South of Market one day, I passed an overweight middle-aged naked guy on a bicycle. His ample buttocks were hanging off both sides of what appeared to be a tiny saddle. Not a pleasant sight. But hey, it’s not a lot of trouble to avert your eyes. In other parts of the city, you’d never see any naked people on the street.

Then there is the Castro. Naked guys have been congregating at the corner of Market and Castro with a “hey-look-what-I-have mentality,” explained Supervisor Scott Wiener, who’d authored the legislation to ban public nudity, and who represents the Castro district. He had to listen to complaints by upset business owners and residents for two years, he said, as the situation morphed from sporadic to seven days a week. “Freedom of expression” was important in the Castro, he maintained. “But that doesn’t mean we have no standards whatsoever.”
    [...]

15. MsBennet

Follow
    Befriend
    5 threads
    298 comments

15   9:33am Thu 22 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I was with my family six months ago and we passed by the naked guys in SF. I was totally shocked to find out later that it was legal. The law making it legal was presumably passed in the name of "freedom" for a small percentage of people. But freedom without virtue, or common sense for that matter, becomes just a license to do anything to fulfill a personal desire. It's a "freedom from" that isolates you from society instead of a "freedom for" which brings people together.

Lord Acton - freedom is not the ability to do what you like, it is the power to do what you ought.

I heard on the radio yesterday that this nudity law was repealed and nudity no longer allowed.

16. mell

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    284 threads
    3,657 comments
    San Francisco, CA

16   10:40am Thu 22 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

MsBennet says

I was with my family six months ago and we passed by the naked guys in SF. I was totally shocked to find out later that it was legal. The law making it legal was presumably passed in the name of "freedom" for a small percentage of people. But freedom without virtue, or common sense for that matter, becomes just a license to do anything to fulfill a personal desire. It's a "freedom from" that isolates you from society instead of a "freedom for" which brings people together.

Lord Acton - freedom is not the ability to do what you like, it is the power to do what you ought.

I heard on the radio yesterday that this nudity law was repealed and nudity no longer allowed.

Why were you so shocked? Granted, the norm is clothed people which is also the norm in SF overall, but what is it that you people - especially in the US - fear about nudity? There is not a shred of evidence that there is any trauma for anybody of any age from encountering naked people. After all, it's the way we are born. And that Lord Acton statement is problematic as who determines what you "ought to do" ? I have lived here over a decade and - unless I was at the nude beach or at a parade - seen a naked person less than a handful of times. I cannot remember what they looked like and if they were wearing jewelry on their private parts (which was also part of the debate). In short, it was a total non-event. In Europe it is totally normal for kids to grow up seeing their parents naked in the bathroom all the time, taking baths together etc. and removing that taboo benefits society as a whole IMO. While I support the 2nd amendment I will never understand how families in the US are giddy to pose with semi-automatic weapons next to their kids and barrage them with the daily violence on TV and in the movies while they go nuts about an exposed nipple on TV.

17. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,055 threads
    13,344 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

17   11:16am Thu 22 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

This what is fucked up about our county. Consenting adults can be naked in public, but the Geotopo TSA can expose an underaged girl to the public against her will and that's perfectly legal.

Nudity is harmful to society if consensual, but absolutely OK if forced on you by the government like rape. This is a fucked up country.

What am I grateful for on this Thanksgiving? That America's days as a superpower are numbered. Being a superpower has made our country despicable.

18. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    939 threads
    11,849 comments

18   7:41am Fri 23 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Dan8267 says

Nudity is harmful to society if consensual,

What consensual? You think the people that enjoy holiday Nativity scenes that the "Wanna see my Junk?" crowd tries so desperately hard to prohibit, enjoys seeing them Naked out in public. Especially after those same lookie Many Nunu's bitched in every court in the land stop nativity scenes, or school children participating in Christmas pageants, or people putting to many lights on their house.

Typical Libs, "I'll shit all over the things you enjoy, but how dare you ask me to stop exhibiting inappropriate public behavior."

We're still a super power sorry you hate America.

19. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    840 threads
    7,129 comments
    Baltimore, MD

19   8:30am Fri 23 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

As cold as it is in SF, even during the summer sometimes, I'd be concerned about shrinkage.

Somebody had to say this.

zzyzzx is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 86 milliseconds to create.