How to ...

By thankshousingbubble   Follow   Mon, 19 Nov 2012, 7:44am   3,648 views   45 comments
In Hermosa Beach CA 90254   Watch (2)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Most Liked Comments

Sort by time instead  
  1. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,545 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

1   8:54am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Interesting quote from article.

"Also, the National Association of Realtors said last week that the median down payment has sunk to 9% for home buyers this year, its lowest level since 2009. "

We are in for a good ass kicking in our future. You can bet on it. The average buyer this year has only 3% equity after you take away the 6% realtor fees. That can be whipped out pretty quick in this market and make them unable to sell like the other half of mortgage owners. Greed kills markets. We are not done the stupidity yet folks. As the quote above attests, we are back at it.

2. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

2   12:46pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Only the children of rape victims grow up in rentals. You can't build a white picket fence around an apartment, so there is no security from depraved rapists.

3. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,545 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

3   7:06am Tue 20 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Mark D says

besides, if the possibility of losing your job is the reason for not buying a house then there will never be a good time to buy a house. unless you pay all cash. how many years will that take?

Yes. Now you get it. It will take about 10-15 years of saving. Remember that word? Somehow in American culture over the years, we have lost the whole idea of saving for something. Give it to me now and I will pay you for my whole life for it. Save, save, save. Invest in yourself and grow your income and savings. Buy a house when you don't need to ruin your future earning power. Oh well, it is a pipe dream. Once greed becomes the norm, fiscal crisis is always around us. Silly

4. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

4   10:42am Tue 20 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I earn 15% royalties on my bullshit farm.

5. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

5   10:28am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

RentingForHalfTheCost says

We are in for a good ass kicking in our future. You can bet on it. The average buyer this year has only 3% equity after you take away the 6% realtor fees. That can be whipped out pretty quick in this market and make them unable to sell like the other half of mortgage owners. Greed kills markets. We are not done the stupidity yet folks. As the quote above attests, we are back at it.

Couple that with the fact that the amount of jumbos being taken out are now back to 2007 levels, a big ass kicking indeed.

6. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

6   10:38am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

the sarcasm was so obvious my dog caught it!

That's because your dog is smarter than you are, although less cute (or at least that's what all my gay friends in San Francisco, think).

7. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

7   10:51am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

RFHTC and Goran,

While rational thought does agree with your commentary on unsustainable consumer behavior, reality may well dictate otherwise. The old adage, "markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent" is sort of an ugly fact of life. There should be no question in your minds that the government and Fed have gone full retard and WILL see to it that house prices go up, no matter what headwinds there are to fight. The Fed has already chased hordes of investors out of bonds and into RE. Many have also abandoned equities for RE too since the stock market is insanely volatile and being dominated by HFT bots.

Also, more than half of the people in the US are house owners, or part of a family that is run by house owners, so it is accurate to say that "most" Americans want house prices to go up. These people vote, and our esteemed leaders generally try to make their largest constituency happy so that they can get re-elected.

8. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

8   10:56am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

If they drive the prices up any more, then, their children won't be house owners, so, eventually, it will be less than 1/2. Also, with investors buying up all the properties (like iwog & roberto say), and renting them out, most people will not be house owners.

9. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

9   11:06am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bmwman91 says

These people vote, and our esteemed leaders generally try to make their largest constituency happy so that they can get re-elected.

I understand this aspect. One would hope that they realize paying less for a house leaves more money for other things...

10. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

10   11:19am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Goran_K says

I understand this aspect. One would hope that they realize paying less for a house leaves more money for other things...

Bro, what's the point in anything if you can't HAVE YOUR OWN PLACE. I mean fuck, ice cream doesn't even taste good if it comes from a rental fridge. Vacation...what, so I can come "home" to an apartment? If I don't own a home, how will I EVER retire?!

A strikingly small number of people actually possess the mental fortitude to do a rational cost-benefit analysis of their own life. Or even if they do have the mental fortitude, they have a big ego, personal biases or social pressures blocking the way.

11. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    262 threads
    3,293 comments
    San Francisco, CA

11   11:59am Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bmwman91 says

Goran_K says

Bro, what's the point in anything if you can't HAVE YOUR OWN PLACE. I mean fuck, ice cream doesn't even taste good if it comes from a rental fridge. Vacation...what, so I can come "home" to an apartment? If I don't own a home, how will I EVER retire?!

A strikingly small number of people actually possess the mental fortitude to do a rational cost-benefit analysis of their own life. Or even if they do have the mental fortitude, they have a big ego, personal biases or social pressures blocking the way.

You forgot that kids have no self-esteem unless they grow up in an "OWNED" house and that house-owners are selfless community builders!

12. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

12   12:01pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Take places like NYC, where most residents are renters. That's why they have rent control in NYC, because, these people vote it in.

13. Nobody

Follow
    Befriend
    10 threads
    281 comments
    San Jose, CA

13   1:10pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

dunnross says

If they drive the prices up any more, then, their children won't be house owners

Ah, don't forget the people from China for the housing market that is skyrocketing like Silicon Valley.

14. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

14   1:20pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bmwman91 says

Only the children of rape victims grow up in rentals. You can't build a white picket fence around an apartment, so there is no security from depraved rapists.

Your memories will suck if you're living in a rental. You won't remember good times, just the times you shoveled coal for your landlord master.

15. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,545 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

15   2:38pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bmwman91 says

The old adage, "markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent" is sort of an ugly fact of life. There should be no question in your minds that the government and Fed have gone full retard and WILL see to it that house prices go up, no matter what headwinds there are to fight.

I agree they will try everything possible. But even the gov't has its hands tied now. In fact, they are the ones that tied them. That ugly debt ceiling and fiscal cliff thingy is a product of the free money train. Markets always become accountable, it is just a question of the time window. I agree that it will not happen tomorrow, but it will happen. When it does, you can bet your bottom dollar that everyone will then be saying they saw it coming. This board will be filled with the now bulls, who will suddenly be oracles. Patrick's new source of revenue will be users paying to delete all the posts from the past. No one likes being proven wrong. ;)

16. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,545 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

16   2:40pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

LiarWatch says

Nobody says

Ah, don't forget the people from China for the housing market

And there are no buyers there.... just like here.

Yah, we all know how well Chinese real estate has been doing. Do you think when they suddenly cross the pond, they become different buyers. They are as picky as the rest of us. Hence, no sales. Get used to it.

17. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    240 threads
    873 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

17   2:40pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

the real reason people are buying:

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Valencia/28630-Pietro-Dr-91354/unit-33/home/17232164

with 20% down, the monthly payment is $2225 including property tax, homeowner insurance and HOA.

estimated rent is $2275 plus you get $3.5K in tax refund at the end of the year. why wouldn't you buy?

18. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    722 threads
    8,859 comments

18   3:30pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

RentingForHalfTheCost says

"Also, the National Association of Realtors said last week that the median down payment has sunk to 9% for home buyers this year, its lowest level since 2009. "

Exactly what I thought when I read the article... more of the same crap that caused the bubble. Lowest level of down payment since 2009, what does that tell you??

People have very little to put down, they don't have the equity from a previous sale due to the down turn in prices.

Small down payments that are subsidised means very little "skin in the game". If they have a drop in income, it will make it very easy to stop paying or walk away.....

These trends don't make for a strong recovery in the housing market... contrary to the OP....

19. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    722 threads
    8,859 comments

19   3:33pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

Despite the effects of hurricane sandy, sales seem to have increased. (seasonally adjusted)

"Sales "seem" to have increased."

Did they or didn't they?? NAR's CYA at it's best!!!

There's that "seasonally adjusted" term again.... what ever it takes for NAR to spin their numbers!!!

20. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,545 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

20   3:33pm Mon 19 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Mark D says

wouldn't you buy?

Because there are much safer and better places to put your 20% to work. The only reason the prices have imploded worst is because the rates have dropped almost in half in the last 5 years. Try running a business where you give people 30 years to pay off the purchase of a questionable valued asset. That is at a 3% rate for your trouble. Good luck staying from getting deeper into a hole with that model. Instead of climbing out, you just keep digging, and digging, and digging. It floors me that people don't see the craziness and keep buying into the ponzi scheme that is being run. Oh well...

Premium member thankshousingbubble is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 691 milliseconds to create.