Fannie and Freddie - pay us back!

By YesYNot   Follow   Mon, 19 Nov 2012, 4:24am PST   659 views   4 comments   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

NYT had a quick history lesson and reminder that they owe 140 billion.

Comments 1-4 of 4     Last »

BobMSN   befriend   ignore   Mon, 19 Nov 2012, 6:58am PST   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 1

Getting the squatters out of the house they don’t deserve should be the first step. The tax payers have no obligation to provide rent-free houses to them.

jvolstad   befriend   ignore   Mon, 19 Nov 2012, 7:03am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 2

Put your shadow inventory on the market for 10 cents on the dollar. You can use that money to start paying back the government.

maxweber21   befriend   ignore   Mon, 19 Nov 2012, 11:53pm PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 3

I wonder how many houses are vacant and/or second homes or vacation homes? IIRC back in 2007 I read through the census numbers and it was around 20M. So, if things were tight, we do have enough houses for 20M households to live in without building more. $140B/200K/house -> 700K houses. So, maybe Fannie/Freddie are sitting on 700,000 empty houses. But others (rich people?) are sitting on millions of more houses.

The reality is probably more like Freddie/Fannie don't actually have the shadow inventory. Reality is probably much of those were fraud and house is worthless or doesn't even exist! I wonder.

maxweber21   befriend   ignore   Tue, 20 Nov 2012, 12:01am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 4

"Fannie Mae, which owned 114,000 foreclosed homes as of March 31"

But realtors protest selling even 500:

But maybe the government will underwrite the losses so the loaner can sell without booking a loss and the government will absorb the loss?

Email (Required, will not be visible)

Username (Just pick a name if you're new)

Watch comments by email

home   top   share   link sharer   users   register   best comments   about   Debt Is Slavery