Windows 8 killed my PC

By zzyzzx   Follow   Tue, 20 Nov 2012, 7:09am   249 views   1 comment
In Baltimore MD 21230   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/20/windows-8-killed-my-pc/

But just doing a fresh install didn't work – neither did the "one-touch" emergency Lenovo backup. My hard drive was dead. The engineer said he had seen compatibility issues with solid state hard drives so I decided to switch it out for a totally blank IDE drive and reran the set up. After three attempts (the installer kept crashing – really?), the operating system was on the hard drive and my computer was back in action.

Success? Hardly. Windows 8 still didn't work properly on my machine -- there were a bunch of drivers that didn't download correctly again. So we then started to download the Microsoft update for the system. But when we went to install the updates the computer refused to do it, noting that the updates were not compatible with my computer.

I then stepped away and let the Microsoft engineers figure out what was going on. After five hours on the phone, the final verdict was that my computer simply wasn't compatible with Windows 8.

Apparently, certain critical parts on my computer just have no Windows 8 drivers available. The driver that they think is the problem was for my controller. It was made by a small company named Intel – yes, Intel (INTC). So apparently Microsoft didn't get Intel to update the drivers for their controller on my particular model. The engineers went on to blame my PC manufacturer for other compatibility issues. The solution? Call the manufacturer and get a Windows 7 recovery disk and reinstall my old operating system. (Microsoft later sent me a fresh copy of Windows 7 through the mail).

The Microsoft engineers told me the issues I was having was unique and would probably only impact PC users who have the exact same configuration as my computer, which they estimated to be around 200,000 computers. I told the boys down in Dallas to keep working on finding a solution. I found it hard to believe that the world's largest chip maker, Intel, and the world's largest PC manufacturer, Lenovo, had anything on the market today that couldn't talk with Windows 8 – that would be ridiculous, right?

So, for now, my new computer is one heavy paperweight.

Viewing Comment 1-1 of 1     Last »     See most liked comments

1. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    855 threads
    11,005 comments

1   7:42am Tue 20 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Well the problem is, he was installing a tablet OS on a PC.
    He should have read the reviews.

zzyzzx is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 47 milliseconds to create.