There's More To Real Estate Than Meets The Eye (Advertisement)

China to Build World's Tallest Building, 220 Stories, in 90 Days

By Mish   Follow   Tue, 20 Nov 2012, 2:07pm   7,211 views   94 comments
Watch (3)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Sky City: China to Build World's Tallest Building, 220 Stories, in 90 Days
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2012/11/sky-city-china-to-build-worlds-tallest.html
Mish

« First     « Previous     Viewing Comments 55-94 of 94     Last »     See most liked comments

1. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

55   4:33am Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Mark D says

it's time for Americans to take responsibility and stop blaming it on the politicians

It wasn't until I traveled to other countries that I learned how ignorant Americans are compared to the rest of the world. Don't expect any change soon. The majority will have their arogant heads up their asses for many decades. Immigrants are the best thing that ever happened to America. It will also help when the baby boomers die off. They're a plague to this country as well.

2. coriacci1

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    73 threads
    334 comments

56   9:27am Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

B.A.C.A.H. says

the Industrial Revolution was made possible with the land and resources taken from the Native Americans

no mention of the international black african slave trade lining the purses and fueling the foundries on both sides of the atlantic.

3. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    37 threads
    1,897 comments
    Premium

57   10:15am Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

maxweber21 says

give China a real challenge: put a human colony on Mars.

What a great idea!

It could be a joint venture. China has the manpower and our money. We have the technology.

Would the oligarchy approve?

4. B.A.C.A.H.

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    8 threads
    2,706 comments

58   10:16am Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Guys, the Industrial Revolution did not just happen in the USA. It also occurred in Europe where there was no big resource grab from Native Americans and no widespread practice of African slaves. Nor was not fueled by huge transport of natural resource plunder from North America which came much later.

5. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    37 threads
    1,897 comments
    Premium

59   10:27am Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

ELC says

It wasn't until I traveled to other countries that I learned how ignorant Americans are compared to the rest of the world. Don't expect any change soon. The majority will have their arogant heads up their asses for many decades. Immigrants are the best thing that ever happened to America. It will also help when the baby boomers die off. They're a plague to this country as well.

So world travel revealed your American ignorance?

America has no monopoly on arrogance or ignorance. Your post reveals a lot of prejudice.

As a baby boomer I resent your blanket dismissal of my generation. A lot of bad and good comes from every generation. The baby boomers added to the light of the world. We helped end apartheid here and abroad. We fought the power (and were assimilated for the most part).

What good has your generation brought the world?

6. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    3,644 comments

60   11:01am Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The Professor says

So world travel revealed your American ignorance?

America has no monopoly on arrogance or ignorance. Your post reveals a lot of prejudice.

Americans are very ignorant of what goes on outside of their own country compared to a lot of the rest of the world. There is a definitely quite a bit of arrogance that comes from this ignorance. Very, very few Americans live or work outside of America compared to the rest of the world. In most of Europe. Asia, and to a lessor degree South America an educated professional person who has not worked or lived overseas is uncommon and it would actually be somewhat of a career hindrance. Unskilled and skilled labour also flows very freely around the world except in America.

I for one find it shameful to be a baby boomer. The selfish total refusal of the "me" generation to accept responsibility for paying for the government they demanded is going to end in disaster.

7. taxee

Follow
    Befriend
    88 threads
    466 comments
    El Cerrito, CA

61   11:33am Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

What the USA did do is build the strongest military/police force in the world and it backs the worlds reserve currency. For better or for worse, say what you like, that still gives us street cred.

8. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    37 threads
    1,897 comments
    Premium

62   11:37am Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

bob2356 says

I for one find it shameful to be a baby boomer. The selfish total refusal of the "me" generation to accept responsibility for paying for the government they demanded is going to end in disaster.

If you are ashamed of being a baby boomer why don't you change your actions or attitudes?

It is an individuals duty to find work that both pays the bills and makes the world a better place. At least don't do anything that makes the world a worse place.

Labeling an entire generation is prejudice.

9. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

63   11:59am Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The Professor says

Labeling an entire generation is prejudice.

Or in this case, accurate. Bunch of assholes.

10. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

64   12:03pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The Professor says

Your post reveals a lot of prejudice.

So even if it's true it's prejudice?

11. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

65   12:07pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The Professor says

It will take a while for any future generation to repair what the baby boomers have screwed up. They pissed away World War II's plunder rather than investing it to forge a better world. Now they're in the red. Useless spoiled fools.

12. B.A.C.A.H.

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    8 threads
    2,706 comments

66   1:14pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

taxee says

What the USA did do is build the strongest military/police force in the world and it backs the worlds reserve currency. For better or for worse, say what you like, that still gives us street cred.

I think with enough nuclear weapons to destroy most life on the planet, and with abundant natural resources, it is different this time.. We can be isolationists.

13. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    37 threads
    1,897 comments
    Premium

67   2:07pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

ELC says

The Professor says

Your post reveals a lot of prejudice.

So even if it's true it's prejudice?

ELC says

Immigrants are the best thing ... the baby boomers ... They're a plague to this country as well.

Yes, broad sweeping generalizations are prejudice.

14. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

68   2:43pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The Professor says

Even if they're true?

All rattlesnakes are dangerous. So now I'm prejudiced against rattlesnakes.

15. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    37 threads
    1,897 comments
    Premium

69   2:43pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

ELC says

The Professor says

It will take a while for any future generation to repair what the baby boomers have screwed up. They pissed away World War II's plunder rather than investing it to forge a better world. Now they're in the red. Useless spoiled fools.

Maybe your generation hasn't made its mark yet.

I agree. We (humanity) did miss out on the opportunity to change the world at the end of WWII, but it was not baby boomers that failed it was the "Greatest Generation"(GG). The GG took us to 'Nam; the boomers fought there. The GG killed the Kennedys and MLK. The GG was in power until well into the '80s.

Obama's a Boomer. Bill Clinton began the Boomers reign.

We're the generation that was born after WWII up to JFK being Killed. We're the ones who went to Nam and watched our money being debased. Were the ones who witnessed a worldwide change where more people were judged on the content of their character rather than the color of their skin.

We're the ones that call you on your prejudice.

16. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    37 threads
    1,897 comments
    Premium

70   2:46pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

ELC says

The Professor says

Even if they're true?

Crows are black.

All boomers are not "Useless spoiled fools." I think you are confusing boomers with Gen X.

17. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

71   2:50pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The Professor says

the boomers fought there. ...
    Obama's a Boomer.

I'm Obama's age and I was way too young to fight in the Vietnam war.

18. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    37 threads
    1,897 comments
    Premium

72   2:54pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

ELC says

The Professor says

the boomers fought there. ...

Obama's a Boomer.

I'm Obama's age and I was way too young to fight in the Vietnam war.

So your a boomer and you think all boomers are a "Bunch of assholes"?

Speak for yourself!

19. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

73   2:56pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The Professor says

We're the ones that call you on your prejudice.

Oh, and they're also world class hypocrites.

20. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

74   3:00pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The Professor says

Were the ones who witnessed a worldwide change where more people were judged on the content of their character rather than the color of their skin.

The only ones who believe that are white people.

21. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

75   3:05pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The Professor says

So your a boomer and you think all boomers are a "Bunch of assholes"?
    Speak for yourself!

I was two when Kennedy was killed. I don't consider myself a boomer and even if I was I spent enough time away from America and the boob tube to not be stupidified.

22. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    235 threads
    853 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

76   6:41pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

ELC says

Mark D says

it's time for Americans to take responsibility and stop blaming it on the politicians

thank you for saying that. at least i know there are some Americans out there who are not anti-immigrant/foreigners for no good reasons.

23. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    235 threads
    853 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

77   7:15pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

B.A.C.A.H. says

Guys, the Industrial Revolution did not just happen in the USA. It also occurred in Europe where there was no big resource grab from Native Americans and no widespread practice of African slaves. Nor was not fueled by huge transport of natural resource plunder from North America which came much later.

wiki disagrees:
    But in the west Europe they were rapidly expanding, demographically, economically and culturally, [b]with the new wealth of the Americas fuelling a boom that laid the foundations for the growth of capitalism and the industrial revolution.[/b]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Middle_East

apparently the natural resources and cheap labor in Americas played a major role.

the first thing taught in any courses of early civilizations is the important agriculture revolution. without the food surplus, most people would be farmers and have no time to be in any specialized job such as carpenter, builder, traders, inventors, etc. not a lot of inventions would have been made.

natural resources and labor are the other two major factors for growth. it's hard to have free time to invent anything when people don't have enough natural resources and have to spend all day looking for them.

Americas have made the last two things abundantly available for the West with a huge amount of natural resources taken from Native Americans and the labor from slaves.

the Industrial Revolution happening in the West was also dependent on a huge amount of luck. Genghis Khan died when his army was marching towards Britians and his army had to go back since they no longer had a leader. since they ravaged anywhere from Asia to the Middle East to Eastern Europe, the West was spared and the Industrial Revolution happened there.

moreover, the Industrial Revolution would not have happened if the West didn't have the technologies and wealth acquired from the Middle East (The Crusades), the mathematics from India (the decimal system originally came from India, was adopted by the Middle East and later replaced the Roman Numerals), and many inventions "borrowed" from China namely Gunpowder, paper, printing, and the compass.

Columbus would not have found Americas if it wasn't for the compass MADE IN CHINA.

24. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    235 threads
    853 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

78   7:24pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

B.A.C.A.H. says

taxee says

I think with enough nuclear weapons to destroy most life on the planet, and with abundant natural resources, it is different this time.. We can be isolationists.

don't forget China has enough nukes to destroy the U.S. pay your debts first before talking about being isolationists.

25. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    117 threads
    17,702 comments

79   9:29pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

In an M.A.D. situation I would much rather be the debtor.

LOL!

China does not have first-strike (counter-force) capability.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.

26. B.A.C.A.H.

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    8 threads
    2,706 comments

80   9:41pm Sat 24 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Mark, if you say so.

Why are you here, anyway?

27. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    235 threads
    853 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

81   3:27am Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Peter P says

In an M.A.D. situation I would much rather be the debtor.

LOL!

China does not have first-strike (counter-force) capability.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.

then why did the U.S back out in Korea and in Vietnam? (after losing).

lets face it. the U.S is afraid of China.

28. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    235 threads
    853 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

82   3:32am Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

B.A.C.A.H. says

Mark, if you say so.

Why are you here, anyway?

"in the world of the blind, the one-eyed is the KING" (Asian proverb).

that and a company in America asked me to come here and work for them. they said their country didn't have enough talented and hard working people. too many lazy, ignorant, anti-immigrant good for nothing deadbeats with useless degrees. they don't like people who put in minimum amount of work and expect high pays and sue the company every chance they get. they needed people like me.

then the gov gave me U.S citizenship. they too wanted me to stay and help pay the taxes since the U.S is bankrupted and the Americans are too lazy. they all want entitlement programs but no one is willing to pay for it. they also told me not to worry about the anti-immigrant racists. they would much rather have productive people like me than those lazy deadbeats.

if you don't like this arrangement why are you still here?

29. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

83   4:34am Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Mark D says

B.A.C.A.H. says

taxee says

don't forget China has enough nukes to destroy the U.S. pay your debts first before talking about being isolationists.

You must not live in a reality-based society.

30. Michinaga

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    3 threads
    283 comments

84   7:07am Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Mark D says

in case you don't know, ONLY 2000 years go, when the Germanic tribes (aka the Barbarians) first came out of that tiny area called Icelands, running around naked, making funny noises, the Chinese already had astronomy observatories and algebra.

Assuming that you're talking about the mathematics that the Chinese were able to do with their rod numerals, the calculating boards with sticks on them (called 算木 in Japanese; I forget the Chinese name) were indeed impressive, but not significantly superior to the abacus-like devices seen in Rome at that time. (Chinese numerals trounce Roman numerals, I admit.)

It wasn't until after AD 1400 that you started hearing about the famous modern abacus or suan p‘an (算盤) that until very recently could be operated faster than a Western calculator. And by that time China had already been receiving influence from the West, and notably India. It is difficult to imagine that these two cultures progressed in mathematics totally in parallel, not sharing anything, and indeed the complete lack of the use of the zero by the Chinese until it suddenly shows up in India, and then immediately after in China, implies that they learned from each other.

Instead of Chinese supremacism, how about appreciating all the mathematical and scientific achievements of mankind? When I first learned about China's, I was mightily impressed, but I wasn't about to start ignoring the rest of the world,

in fact, Europeans didn't learn how to take shower until a Mongolian named Genghis Khan went there and taught them how over a millennium later. think of the Black Plague if you want proof.

Whether water runs through shower pipes or not is immaterial: Westerners most certainly have been bathing since ancient times. Here's a trivia question for you: over 2000 years ago, when the great Archimedes discovered how to measure the volume of irregular objects, and at the same time, the concept of density, what was he in the middle of doing?

...Eureka!

31. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    326 threads
    2,450 comments

85   7:12am Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Mark D says

then why did the U.S backed out in Korea and in Vietnam? (after losing).
    lets face it. the U.S is afraid of China.

All the obfusication cannot hide the fact that "Made in China" means junk, probably tainted with poison. Now they may improve in the future-but for now that is what it means- cheap trinkets filled with toxins.

32. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    37 threads
    1,897 comments
    Premium

86   9:37am Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

ELC says

I don't consider myself a boomer and even if I was I spent enough time away from America and the boob tube to not be stupidified.

What country did you travel to that made you loathe America and your own generation?

33. David Losh

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    1,546 comments
    Seattle, WA
    David Losh's website

87   9:51am Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

You can't deny the technology of modular building just because China makes crap to ship to the United States.

They have the ability to make anything. They make more than just crap, and I was fascinated by this construction process.

Could we do the same thing here, only better? Who knows, but it looks like the future of building.

It's like those solar panels. In less than four years they are dumping the technology, and product on us while we're still trying to figure out if solar energy is a good thing to have.

Come to think of it, wasn't the hybrid some Asian technology?

34. upisdown

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    1,620 comments

88   10:00am Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

David Losh says

You can't deny the technology of modular building just because China makes crap to ship to the United States.
    They have the ability to make anything. They make more than just crap, and I was fascinated by this construction process.
    Could we do the same thing here, only better? Who knows, but it looks like the future of building.

It still takes time to assemble things into whatever component that may be. It's not a new concept either. The short schedule leads people to assume that the time to manufacture all the materials and then transport them to the location to be assembled, somehow isn't factored into the total time, or that it exists.

China somehow defies chemistry and physics and believes that concrete cures better and faster there, except that it doesn't in reality. Looking at their past failures, and there are many, will give anybody an idea how this building will turn out. Will it be totally finished out and livable? We'll never know because China probably won't divulge that tidbit either way.

35. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    235 threads
    853 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

89   7:43pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Michinaga says

Whether water runs through shower pipes or not is immaterial: Westerners most certainly have been bathing since ancient times. Here's a trivia question for you: over 2000 years ago, when the great Archimedes discovered how to measure the volume of irregular objects, and at the same time, the concept of density, what was he in the middle of doing?

yes some Europeans took bath. but most didn't hence the magnitude of the Black Plague.

i'm not saying that China is the best. what i'm saying is that without the technologies and contributions from China, India, the Middle East and the natural resources and forced labor taken from other parts of the world, the West would not have had an Industrial Revolution and they would have been just as poor as the rest of the world.

36. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    235 threads
    853 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

90   7:48pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

lostand confused says

All the obfusication cannot hide the fact that "Made in China" means junk, probably tainted with poison. Now they may improve in the future-but for now that is what it means- cheap trinkets filled with toxins.

do you realize that 95% of the electronic components inside a PC in the U.S is built by Taiwanese, a group of Chinese?

why keep repeating the same foolish statement when we both know the Chinese can build much better stuffs, but problem is that their customers can't afford to pay for them?

37. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    326 threads
    2,450 comments

91   7:54pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Mark D says

do you realize that 95% of the electronic components inside a PC in the U.S is built by Taiwanese, a group of Chinese?
    why keep repeating the same foolish statement when we both know the Chinese can build much better stuffs, but problem is that their customers can't afford to pay for them?

Hahahahaha!! Seriously- Taiwan and China-are you a propoganda agent for the People's Republic of China?

My comments are not ethnic. A Chinese ethnic person can be Brazilian, US citizen, Canadian or Peruvian. But the Chinese model is making cheap junk for the lowest price possibile. You get what you pay for-wether that be cheap drywall or cheap baby powder.

38. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    235 threads
    853 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

92   7:58pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

lostand confused says

Hahahahaha!! Seriously- Taiwan and China-are you a propoganda agent for the People's Republic of China?

no i'm only here to make this discussion more factual and honest :)

39. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

93   8:07pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Mark D says

That's not even remotely true. Taiwan is big on PCBs, and that's about it. Memory is made in Korea, CPUs in the US, HDDs in either Japan or the US, etc.

No single country accounts for more than maybe 10% of internal components. The thing gets a "Made in China" label because that's where final assembly takes place.

40. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    235 threads
    853 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

94   9:10pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

&list=UUxCFwx5fVfOzrzklTL3JeSA&index=39&feature=plcp

« First     « Previous comments    

Mish is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 161 milliseconds to create.