House Prices Are Nowhere Near a Bottom, Says Analyst

By HousingBoom   Follow   Wed, 21 Nov 2012, 12:17am   10,923 views   110 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

Numbers don't lie!!!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49436858/?fb_action_ids=552912418057720&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_ref=s%3DshowShareBarUI%3Ap%3Dfacebook-like&fb_source=timeline_og&action_object_map=%7B%22552912418057720%22%3A306426616129186%7D&action_type_map=%7B%22552912418057720%22%3A%22og.recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map=%7B%22552912418057720%22%3A%22s%3DshowShareBarUI%3Ap%3Dfacebook-like%22%7D

« First     « Previous     Viewing Comments 31-70 of 110     Next »     Last »     See most liked comments

1. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    392 threads
    20,774 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

31   6:26pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

swebb says

IWOG, for the love of god, click the "Ignore" link on this idiot. He isn't interested in intelligent debate, seeking truth, or as far as I can tell anything worthwhile. I ignored him and it's fantastic. I only see his posts when a) he is the original poster, b) someone responds to his idiotic posts. People like him detract from / dilute the value of the forums. If we could just get more people to click the ignore link it would make this a better place.

Literally LOL here.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for troll bait. Sometimes as in this instance however it's almost worth it.

Sorry Darrell, it's time for you to go. Swebb is right.

2. dodgerfanjohn

Follow
    Befriend
    39 threads
    1,601 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

32   6:35pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Fwiw, I do agree that rents were rising during the past two years.

In Los Angeles, they actually did push too high. This creates all sorts of problems...namely people who don't pay and must be evicted, unauthorized subleasing which creates crowded buildings and increased chance of damage, etc

Rents hit a wall in September and have been declining since. I signed a new lease at the end of October and already regret it. I knew rents were starting to decline but was fearful that there wouldn't be many places available when my lease expired in January. Boy was I ever wrong. Last week, after nearly two years of 100% occupancy, my building advertises four units on Craigslist. And now all sorts of nearby units available, at prices from over two years ago as well.

I'll be VERY surprised if we don't see a 7-10% decline in rents in Los Angeles by the end of 2013.

3. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,644 comments
    Monterey, CA

33   6:47pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

The truth? 20 MILLION empty housing units.

Wow, a 10 million drop since... well, your last made up figure.

4. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,644 comments
    Monterey, CA

34   7:15pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

Hello my realtor friend..... and we know what you realtors are about...... "bigsby". lmao

It's a new construction pimping life for Darrell.

5. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,644 comments
    Monterey, CA

35   7:46pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

Bigsby the realtor and his imaginary contracting business..

Who's claiming to be a contractor? You. And at $60/sqft no less. "Darrell", the garden shed new construction pimp.

6. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,644 comments
    Monterey, CA

36   7:56pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

And realtor bigsby backpedals furiously.

Did you really think we've believed you?

Wow, I'm a man of many talents. First I was apparently a realtor, now according to "Darrell", I've become a contractor. And all based from Kuwait. Long distance construction and home selling indeed. It all sounds nearly as impressive as your nationwide garden shed construction empire.

7. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,644 comments
    Monterey, CA

37   7:58pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

You're no man... that we're certain of.

Oh, Darrell, you've hurt my feelings.

8. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,644 comments
    Monterey, CA

38   8:03pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

Substantiate your bidding, estimating and construction experience...."bigsby".

Sure... when you can demonstrate where I claimed any.

9. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

39   8:05pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike   Protected  

The thing I can't understand is how can Iwog and Roberto the Realtor both claim that investors are going to buy up all the houses in the country to rent them out, and still state that rents are rising in the same sentence. These 2 guys have lied so much, that they are now stepping on their own tongues.

10. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,644 comments
    Monterey, CA

40   8:06pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

Bigsby says

Sure... when you can demonstrate where I claimed any.

You don't have any idea

How anyone can claim that building costs average $60/sq ft? You're right, I don't.

11. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

41   8:28pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (2)   Protected  

robertoaribas says

Where I come from, being called a liar is serious

Are you from Saudi Arabia? What if I call you a Dog Fucker?

12. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

42   8:37pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

And here we are with another misrepresentation. But we're not surprise.

The truth? 20 MILLION empty housing units.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0984.pdf

I posted data that was current as of Q3 2012. You posted data from 2010.

I win.

13. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

43   8:41pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

Yes "kevin" you get to be right.

But the truth remains.

Yes, it does. The *exact same source that you used* says that total vacancies are under 6M vacancies as of two months ago (we'll have even more up to date figures in January).

I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong with you. I give up.

14. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    392 threads
    20,774 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

44   8:50pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

dunnross says

The thing I can't understand is how can Iwog and Roberto the Realtor both claim that investors are going to buy up all the houses in the country to rent them out, and still state that rents are rising in the same sentence. These 2 guys have lied so much, that they are now stepping on their own tongues.

It's not complicated. Investors rent to the former owners. Every foreclosure creates a new renter. It's a zero sum game.

You did get one thing right. You can't understand.

15. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

45   8:57pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

t's not complicated. Investors rent to the former owners. Every foreclosure creates a new renter. It's a zero sum game.

Maybe not quite. A lot of people move in with family.

Still, the idea that baby boomers are going to suddenly start dying off in droves without appropriate replacement levels is pretty amusing.

I'm glad I'm betting on the opposite happening.

16. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

46   8:58pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

iwog says

It's a zero sum game

Even if you assume that nobody doubles up or moves back in with their parents (which is a big ass-umption to make), I guess, I still don't understand where is the rents going up part. I guess, the only thing which I do understand is that they didn't teach you in school that "zero sum game" translates to: rents ain't going up.

17. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    392 threads
    20,774 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

47   9:01pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Kevin says

Maybe not quite. A lot of people move in with family.

Sure, and population grows at about 1% and the price of gasoline will drive people in and out of far-flung suburbs depending on if it's high or low. There are multiple factors. Baby boomers might invigorate the healthcare economy and wages might start going up again.

You gotta make your bets somewhere.

18. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

48   9:02pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Future rent increases seem contingent on tighter lending standards.

If it becomes harder and harder to buy a home without 20% down, for instance, there will be more renters.

19. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    392 threads
    20,774 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

49   9:02pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)   Protected  

dunnross says

Even if you assume that nobody doubles up or moves back in with their parents (which is a big ass-umption to make), I guess, I still don't understand where is the rents going up part. I guess, the only thing which I do understand is that they didn't teach you in school that "zero sum game" translates to: rents ain't going up.

First accept that you were dead wrong in all of your predictions of current market movement.

Then examine WHY you were wrong. Unless you do this and have logical explanations, you are in no position to teach me or anyone else about the real estate market.

According to you rents CAN'T be going up but they are doing so anyway. Presenting an argument why reality can't be true is a piss poor way to debate a topic.

20. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

50   9:04pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

iwog says

First accept that you were dead wrong in all of your predictions of current market movement.

I wasn't wrong, and there is nothing for me to accept, here. In my predictions, I work with long-term trends, and dead-cat bounces don't interest me.

21. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

51   9:06pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

So Iwog. When are you going to accept that you were dead wrong about Silver going to $15, and that you have no business teaching anybody, here, anything. Or, are you going to wait until silver gets to $100, before you make that acceptance speech?

22. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    392 threads
    20,774 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

52   9:08pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

dunnross says

I wasn't wrong, and there is nothing for me to accept, here. In my predictions, I work with long-term trends, and dead-cat bounces don't interest me.

You don't work with any trends and your predictions are ludicrous. You have ONE YEAR for prices to fall to nominal 1975 levels or your best known prediction fails horribly.

Yet prices aren't even doing their usual winter slump this year.

Isn't it about time you admitted you screwed up? No one here agrees with you. Not even the most staunch real estate bears.

23. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

53   9:11pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

iwog says

You have ONE YEAR for prices to fall to nominal 1975 levels or your best known prediction fails horribly.

And how much time do you have for silver to fall below $15, which, BTW is even below 1970's prices?

And how many people, here, agree with that prediction...

24. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    392 threads
    20,774 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

54   9:11pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

dunnross says

So Iwog. When are you going to accept that you were dead wrong about Silver going to $15, and that you have no business teaching anybody, here, anything. Or, are you going to wait until silver gets to $100, before you make that acceptance speech?

I didn't say I couldn't be wrong or you couldn't be wrong. I said unless you're willing to examine WHY you were wrong, you're not worth talking with because you can't even admit the way things really are.

25. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

55   9:12pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike   Protected  

iwog says

I said unless you're willing to examine WHY you were wrong

So, have you examined why you were wrong about silver, yet?

26. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    392 threads
    20,774 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

56   9:13pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

dunnross says

And how much time do you have for silver to fall below $15, which, BTW is even below 1970's prices?

It really doesn't matter. I made some outstanding investments in silver and I published them real time for everyone to watch.

All you've shown is that you're a blowhard.

27. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,665 threads
    6,349 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

57   9:13pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

robertoaribas says

patrick please block dumasses account

How about using the ignore link?

Or -- become a premium user ( http://patrick.net/premium.php ) and then you can moderate your own threads, and users you have on ignore cannot comment on your threads.

28. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

58   9:14pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

iwog says

All you've shown is that you're a blowhard.

Not quite. I've shown everyone my post from 2006 when I sold my house and bought gold (actually, starting from 2005). My track record, here, beats yours by a mile.

29. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

59   9:16pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Patrick says

users you have on ignore cannot comment on your threads.

That's a cool feature, Patrick! I'll definitely sign up for the premium account!

30. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

60   9:19pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Done!

31. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    54 threads
    2,440 comments
    Premium

61   9:20pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Kevin says

(we'll have even more up to date figures in January).

Thats when one of both Iwog and Robertos' rentals is getting new tenants.

32. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

62   9:20pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Now I can put both Iwog the liar and Roberto the liar on my ignore list, and neither of them can write anything bad about me! Woopie!

33. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    54 threads
    2,440 comments
    Premium

63   9:21pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

dunnross says

Now I can put both Iwog the liar and Roberto the liar on my ignore list, and neither of them can write anything bad about me! Woopie!

Where is the fun in that?

34. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    242 threads
    909 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

64   9:25pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The Professor says

dunnross says

some people have mental problems (like that guy Darrel/war/liarwatch) so it's best to ignore them.

35. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

65   9:29pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

dunnross says

Sure they can, you just can't see it.

36. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    54 threads
    2,440 comments
    Premium

66   9:30pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Mark D says

some people have mental problems (like that guy Darrel/war/liarwatch) so it's best to ignore them.

I am here for info and entertainment. By your logic I should probably ignore my buddy apocolypse.

37. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

67   9:30pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)   Protected  

> and users you have on ignore cannot comment on your threads.

But Patrick promised!

38. SubOink

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    16 threads
    855 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

68   11:39pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

What can I say, I'm a sucker for troll bait.

I am worse - I have lowered myself many times to his level of stubborn..."when you don't have a point, just repeat the old point again" -

but its kinda fun...about once or twice a year

39. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

69   11:41pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

iwog says

You don't work with any trends

And an 11 year bull market in PMs and a 6 year bear market in housing is not a trend, in your opinion? It is you who is not working with the trend, thinking that the trend has changed, just because we had 6 months of seasonal dead-cat bounce.

40. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

70   11:43pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Do you even realize how dismal your odds of being correct when you go against the trend?

« First     « Previous comments     Next comments »     Last »

HousingBoom is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 243 milliseconds to create.