House Prices Are Nowhere Near a Bottom, Says Analyst

By HousingBoom   Follow   Wed, 21 Nov 2012, 12:17am   9,981 views   110 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

Numbers don't lie!!!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49436858/?fb_action_ids=552912418057720&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_ref=s%3DshowShareBarUI%3Ap%3Dfacebook-like&fb_source=timeline_og&action_object_map=%7B%22552912418057720%22%3A306426616129186%7D&action_type_map=%7B%22552912418057720%22%3A%22og.recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map=%7B%22552912418057720%22%3A%22s%3DshowShareBarUI%3Ap%3Dfacebook-like%22%7D

Viewing Comments 1-40 of 110     Next »     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

1   1:41am Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

ProTip: Whenever someone makes claims, google their name and limit the time range to 2000-2010. Compare what they wrote in that period to reality.

Mr. Jurow's track record is very poor based on the three original articles I can find that he wrote in that period.

Ask yourself if someone is telling you new data or simply saying what you want to hear.

2. beershrine

Follow
    Befriend
    42 comments

2   1:50pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Home prices in the SO-CAL area are on the move up, it might be in part the continued lowering of interest rates and the holding of thousands of REOs still waiting for the market. There are plenty of home flippers still at work in this market. Averages can't tell you what going on.

3. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    46 threads
    2,154 comments
    Premium

3   2:00pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Comment on article from Realtor:
    "DanielRLevitan | Nov 21, 2012 12:58 PM ET

What a bunch of utter nonsense based on non-facts and pure speculation and an example of yellow journalism at it worst.

Housing inventories are at record lows, mortgage rates are at or near record lows, consumer confidence is rising steadily, underwater mortgages have fallen dramatically, foreclosures and short sales are shrinking and prices of these homes are rising steadily. Add in the fact that the Gen Xs and Gen ys are finally leaving their parents' homes and you will find that prices are rising steadily in almost every major market area.

In fact, 2012 will be remembered as the start of the longest housing boom in memory.

www.residentialmarketingblog.com"

Here come Gen XY to save the market and start the "longest housing boom in memory".

4. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,545 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

4   2:07pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

The Professor says

Housing inventories are at record lows, mortgage rates are at or near record lows, consumer confidence is rising steadily, underwater mortgages have fallen dramatically, foreclosures and short sales are shrinking and prices of these homes are rising steadily. Add in the fact that the Gen Xs and Gen ys are finally leaving their parents' homes and you will find that prices are rising steadily in almost every major market area.

Slightly rewritten to be closer to reality.

Housing inventories are at record lows, mortgage rates are at record lows, consumer confidence is still relatively low, banks are still playing games with foreclosure and short sale data and prices are barely holding steady. Gen X and Y's are without work and have no desire or means of entering into the real estate market. Shared renting is the new norm and will be for at least a decade for many.

5. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    240 threads
    873 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

5   3:03pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

who's Keith Kurow? never heard of him.

looks like anyone who can write 2 paragraphs can be an "analyst" these days.

6. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    19,058 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

6   3:07pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

There is no such thing as a market bottom without many analysts predicting further declines. This is a rock solid law of investing.

"Experts" drive markets. Therefore it is impossible for a majority of the "experts to be right about market direction. The majority must always be wrong otherwise the market would conform to the new expectations and MAKE the majority wrong.

Simplified, if all investors thought real estate was going lower, all investors would be out or short. Therefore there would be no one left to sell.

7. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    19,058 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

7   4:01pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

.Darrell In Phoenix says

They're speculators, not investors. It's time you learn this.

A speculator is an investor. It's time you learned this. The fact that a speculator might be misinformed, wrong, or reckless doesn't change the fact that the intended result is an investment that returns money.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/speculator.asp#axzz2Cu9AFnNh

Speculators are typically sophisticated, risk-taking investors with expertise in the market(s) in which they are trading and will usually use highly leveraged investments such as futures and options.

8. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    19,058 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

8   4:15pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Darrell In Phoenix says

iwog says

A speculator is an investor.

No LieWog. You're not going to take wide latitude with this definition either.

Right........the extraordinary wide latitude I took was quoting the definition on Investopedia.

Outrageous! LOL

9. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    19,058 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

9   4:22pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Darrell In Phoenix says

It's just another one of your fabrications. We know you all too well.

You got me there! I fabricated the definition of speculator on Investopedia to make you look bad.

10. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    19,058 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

10   4:26pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Darrell In Phoenix says

Your fabrications make you look bad and you alone.

I know. I was agreeing with you.

My nefarious plot to change the definition of "speculator" on Investopedia to define it as a type of investor was discovered and I now hang my head in shame.

I'll change it back as soon as I can figure out how.

11. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,545 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

11   4:38pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

iwog says

Therefore there would be no one left to sell

We are getting there. The smart/lucky already sold. The followers are stuck or have lost their homes already. End result - no sellers, only debt payers for life.

12. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    19,058 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

12   4:43pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)   Protected  

RentingForHalfTheCost says

iwog says

Therefore there would be no one left to sell

We are getting there. The smart/lucky already sold. The followers are stuck or have lost their homes already. End result - no sellers, only debt payers for life.

That is simply not the reality I am seeing on the ground.

All I see around me are rising rents and investors who don't care if prices stay low for 100 years.

I repeat: Supply and demand in the real estate market DO NOT MATTER if rents are stable or climbing. You can take a 100% loss on a 15-year financed home and still make a ton of money. That's the theory.

The practice is that investors will never let housing fall below a certain threshold when rents are paying the mortgage plus a profit. Do I need to quote Warren Buffett again?

13. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,545 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

13   4:48pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

iwog says

All I see around me are rising rents and investors who don't care if prices stay low for 100 years.

Rents are falling around me. I'm considering asking for a rent reduction when my lease is up for renewal. There are 2 houses that I have seen in the last week that have way lower rents than I saw just 4 months ago. People are hurting. Not sure what ground you are talking about. Not the stuff I'm walking on.

14. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    66 threads
    2,952 comments
    Bellingham, WA

14   4:55pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

Rental rates are falling. And so are prices. Yep. Even in the bay area.

The cost of shelter, which includes rents, rose 0.3 percent, the most in more than four years. Rental vacancies have declined in recent months, pushing rents higher

http://www.insidebayarea.com/financial-markets/ci_22001696/us-consumer-prices-tick-up-rental-costs-rise

15. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

15   4:56pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

The practice is that investors will never let housing fall below a certain threshold when rents are paying the mortgage plus a profit. Do I need to quote Warren Buffett again?

I agree with you, but:

- "certain threshold" will still be relative to RoI elsewhere.

- There are still regions of this country where the houses are incredibly cheap, but the rents still don't work out.

For example, in my home town of Toledo you can buy 3 bedroom SFHs for $50k. They rent out for $8k a year.

On paper this looks amazing: 15% annual returns! The house pays for itself after a mere 6 years!

However, many of these houses have major repair needs that could easily add up to 40,50,60k themselves. Nobody is bothering with upkeep because it would be less expensive to just buy another house.

The basic idea that rents set the floor in house prices is fundamentally correct though. I just don't know what a good formula is for determining what that floor will be.

16. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    19,058 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

16   4:56pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

RentingForHalfTheCost says

Rents are falling around me. I'm considering asking for a rent reduction when my lease is up for renewal. There are 2 houses that I have seen in the last week that have way lower rents than I saw just 4 months ago. People are hurting. Not sure what ground you are talking about. Not the stuff I'm walking on.

This is simply not true at all and I have multiple sources that prove your personal experience is not typical. Rents are increasing, have been increasing since 2009, are near all time highs, and have increased the most during 2012.

http://www.cassidyturley.com/Research/MarketReports/Report.aspx?topic=Alameda_County_Apartment_Q1_2012_Market_Report&action=download

17. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    19,058 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

17   4:57pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  
  18. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    66 threads
    2,952 comments
    Bellingham, WA

18   4:58pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

iwog says

the only way rents could fall is if the government goes hardball on raising taxes and/or cutting spending on/for the middle class.

I can shake the magic 8 ball but not see an answer here. The singularity is the debt limit fight coming early next year, plus of course what new bullshit the system vends about the expiring tax cuts.

I wouldn't bet against more bullshit though. That's the #1 product in this country now.

19. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    19,058 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

19   5:01pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Kevin says

The basic idea that rents set the floor in house prices is fundamentally correct though. I just don't know what a good formula is for determining what that floor will be.

The time to buy was 2008-2009. At least in Northern California, there was nothing like it. The housing boom was still fresh, which meant that most of the foreclosed homes had fresh remodels and current repairs funded by liar loans and HELOCs. Homeowners were dropping like flies and quality tenants were everywhere as long as you didn't hold a foreclosure against them.

Quality has since declined and the last two homes I purchased were nightmares from a renovation standpoint although they were extremely cheap. One is rented to my secretary, another is not rented yet although it will hopefully be ready by January.

20. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    66 threads
    2,952 comments
    Bellingham, WA

20   5:04pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

those houses are generally empty for a reason

21. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    19,058 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

21   5:07pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Bellingham Bill says

the only way rents could fall is if the government goes hardball on raising taxes and/or cutting spending on/for the middle class.

I can shake the magic 8 ball but not see an answer here. The singularity is the debt limit fight coming early next year, plus of course what new bullshit the system vends about the expiring tax cuts.

I don't think rents CAN fall. Housing starts are barely recovering from depression levels and it will be years before we see new supply. Furthermore most of the over-built areas are hours of commute time away from job centers, so even if they do get converted to rentals, they are extremely dependent on cheap gasoline.

What the cities need are high rise apartments, however Northern California remains mired in rent control and the burbs want no part of multi-unit housing.

Obviously I'm talking my book, but it wouldn't be my book unless I had some pretty good reasons for being here.

22. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

22   5:09pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

iwog says

The time to buy was 2008-2009.

Only if you ignore the 20-30 million excess empty houses in inventory.

You're arguing that 30%+ of all houses are empty. You are either just making shit up, or are you confusing the term "owner occupied" with "occupied" (hint: non-owner occupied means "rental")

23. SubOink

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    15 threads
    833 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

23   5:10pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

Rents are falling.

Nope they are not. LOOK AROUND.

24. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    19,058 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

24   5:15pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Darrell In Phoenix says

Sure they are. They're down almost 3% in LA.... and falling.

Average L.A. apartment rents rise 5 percent to $1,670 monthly -- among highest in nation

http://www.dailynews.com/business/ci_21096560/average-l-apartment-rents-rise-5-percent-1

Rents on the Rise Across Southern California
    http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Rents-on-the-Rise-Across-Southern-California-147394535.html

According to a report released this week by the University of Southern California Lusk Center for Real Estate, rents are on the rise, and they’ll continue to go up until 2013.

Rising rents outpacing home sale prices
    http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/1091-housing/266005-rising-rents-outpacing-home-sales-prices-

The top 10 price increases, which ranged from 8.7 to 24.9 percent, included three cities in California — San Jose, Oakland and San Francisco.

25. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    19,058 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

25   5:20pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

Darrell In Phoenix says

Sorry.

I've seen your old data. All you did was show rents dropped in 2011, not 2012. You have a nasty habit of posting old articles and claiming they represent current news.

26. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    19,058 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

26   5:23pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike   Protected  

Darrell In Phoenix says

iwog says

I've seen your old data

Wrong again. It's 2012 data.

It's 1st quarter 2012 data you twit comparing rental rates to 1st quarter 2011.

27. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    19,058 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

27   5:26pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Darrell In Phoenix says

iwog says

t's 1st quarter 2012 data

You're learning to read. This is good!

Yes but you still don't know how to read. The drop you reported was YoY from Q1 2011. It has no relevance whatsoever to the rental market in 2012, which is on fire. It's totally worthless.

28. EastCoastBubbleBoy

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    111 threads
    511 comments

28   5:29pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

And worse yet(for you anyways), another 35 MILLION housing units have just started to empty as boomers head to the grave.

Not necessarily. Most boomers will leave their homes to their children. Their children will then be faced with a decision.

1) try and sell it
    2) try and rent it out
    3) move into it
    4) do nothing, and let it rot into the ground (or revert to the lender)

So all things being equal, only a fraction of the 35 million houses will become inventory – and even then it will be a process that plays out over decades.

The oldest baby boomers are just now turning 70. The youngest are only 48.
    The average life expectancy in the US is 78.2 (75.6 yrs for men, 80.8 yrs for women)

The inventory will not flood the market all at once, and who knows where house prices and inventory levels will be ten or fifteen years from now.

29. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

29   5:36pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

Kevin says

ou're arguing that 30%+ of all houses are empty. You are either just making shit up, or are you confusing the term "owner occupied" with "occupied" (hint: non-owner occupied means "rental")

Learn math. There are 130million houses in the US... and growing. 20million are empty.

And worse yet(for you anyways), another 35 MILLION housing units have just started to empty as boomers head to the grave.

Ah, right, I was looking at outdated data that said there were about 105M. The CB says 132M.

But your vacancy rate figures are still pure bullshit:

http://www.census.gov/housing/hvs/files/qtr312/q312press.pdf

~3.8M empty rentals
    ~1.7M empty non-rentals

Retiring baby boomers will sell their homes and move into apartments. Unless they burn the house down or die it will have zero impact on vacancy rates.

30. swebb

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    31 threads
    642 comments
    Denver, CO

30   6:14pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike  

iwog says

It's just another one of your fabrications. We know you all too well.

You got me there! I fabricated the definition of speculator on Investopedia to make you look bad.

IWOG, for the love of god, click the "Ignore" link on this idiot. He isn't interested in intelligent debate, seeking truth, or as far as I can tell anything worthwhile. I ignored him and it's fantastic. I only see his posts when a) he is the original poster, b) someone responds to his idiotic posts. People like him detract from / dilute the value of the forums. If we could just get more people to click the ignore link it would make this a better place.

31. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    19,058 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

31   6:26pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

swebb says

IWOG, for the love of god, click the "Ignore" link on this idiot. He isn't interested in intelligent debate, seeking truth, or as far as I can tell anything worthwhile. I ignored him and it's fantastic. I only see his posts when a) he is the original poster, b) someone responds to his idiotic posts. People like him detract from / dilute the value of the forums. If we could just get more people to click the ignore link it would make this a better place.

Literally LOL here.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for troll bait. Sometimes as in this instance however it's almost worth it.

Sorry Darrell, it's time for you to go. Swebb is right.

32. dodgerfanjohn

Follow
    Befriend
    33 threads
    1,298 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

32   6:35pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Fwiw, I do agree that rents were rising during the past two years.

In Los Angeles, they actually did push too high. This creates all sorts of problems...namely people who don't pay and must be evicted, unauthorized subleasing which creates crowded buildings and increased chance of damage, etc

Rents hit a wall in September and have been declining since. I signed a new lease at the end of October and already regret it. I knew rents were starting to decline but was fearful that there wouldn't be many places available when my lease expired in January. Boy was I ever wrong. Last week, after nearly two years of 100% occupancy, my building advertises four units on Craigslist. And now all sorts of nearby units available, at prices from over two years ago as well.

I'll be VERY surprised if we don't see a 7-10% decline in rents in Los Angeles by the end of 2013.

33. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,359 comments
    Monterey, CA

33   6:47pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

The truth? 20 MILLION empty housing units.

Wow, a 10 million drop since... well, your last made up figure.

34. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,359 comments
    Monterey, CA

34   7:15pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

Hello my realtor friend..... and we know what you realtors are about...... "bigsby". lmao

It's a new construction pimping life for Darrell.

35. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,359 comments
    Monterey, CA

35   7:46pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

Bigsby the realtor and his imaginary contracting business..

Who's claiming to be a contractor? You. And at $60/sqft no less. "Darrell", the garden shed new construction pimp.

36. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,359 comments
    Monterey, CA

36   7:56pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

And realtor bigsby backpedals furiously.

Did you really think we've believed you?

Wow, I'm a man of many talents. First I was apparently a realtor, now according to "Darrell", I've become a contractor. And all based from Kuwait. Long distance construction and home selling indeed. It all sounds nearly as impressive as your nationwide garden shed construction empire.

37. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,359 comments
    Monterey, CA

37   7:58pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

You're no man... that we're certain of.

Oh, Darrell, you've hurt my feelings.

38. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,359 comments
    Monterey, CA

38   8:03pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

Substantiate your bidding, estimating and construction experience...."bigsby".

Sure... when you can demonstrate where I claimed any.

39. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

39   8:05pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike   Protected  

The thing I can't understand is how can Iwog and Roberto the Realtor both claim that investors are going to buy up all the houses in the country to rent them out, and still state that rents are rising in the same sentence. These 2 guys have lied so much, that they are now stepping on their own tongues.

40. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,359 comments
    Monterey, CA

40   8:06pm Wed 21 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Darrell In Phoenix says

Bigsby says

Sure... when you can demonstrate where I claimed any.

You don't have any idea

How anyone can claim that building costs average $60/sq ft? You're right, I don't.

Next comments »     Last »

HousingBoom is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 160 milliseconds to create.