Time to End Gridlock in the Senate

By tovarichpeter   Follow   Sun, 25 Nov 2012, 1:08pm   458 views   9 comments
In South San Francisco CA 94080   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/us/politics/new-senates-first-task-will-likely-be-trying-to-fix-itself.html?hp&_r=0&gwh=E48BEF4E3DFF131FB8B6D2FBF20AF7E9

Sent from my iPad

Viewing Comments 1-9 of 9     Last »     See most liked comments

1. mmmarvel

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    5 threads
    1,114 comments
    Missouri City, TX

1   2:49pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

By the same token, I have no problem with government gridlock. It just means that the government has a harder time messing with my life. Combine that with a really bad president with really bad ideas and I love gridlock.

2. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    393 threads
    20,832 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

2   10:02pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

mmmarvel says

By the same token, I have no problem with government gridlock. It just means that the government has a harder time messing with my life. Combine that with a really bad president with really bad ideas and I love gridlock.

Government gridlock is precisely why your taxes are going WAY up on January 1st. It is also why we have a runaway debt and insolvent Medicare and Social Security.

There's nothing good about a dysfunctional government.

3. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

3   10:08pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

mmmarvel says

You want a government that is incapable of acting? There are 50 of them in Africa for you to choose from.

4. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,074 threads
    13,831 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

4   11:57pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

There's nothing good about a dysfunctional government.

There is one thing...

The utter incompetency of our government is the one thing that protects us from the sheer evilness of our government.

5. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,074 threads
    13,831 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

5   12:00am Mon 26 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

Government gridlock is precisely why your taxes are going WAY up on January 1st.

I actually hope this happens. Paying higher taxes is worth the automatic cuts in the defense industry spending. I don't see politicians ever cutting that wasteful "defense" industry spending except by going off the fiscal cliff.

However, I don't think the Democrats will have the balls to stick to their plans and they'll cave into the bat-shit crazy Republicans. I'd love to be wrong about this, but I doubt I am. The Dems will probably agree to some deal where the Republicans get 100% of what they want.

6. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

6   12:22am Mon 26 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

Government gridlock is precisely why your taxes are going WAY up on January 1st.

Maybe so. Still, has everyone forgotten the definition of "temporary"? The Bush tax cuts were supposed to be a TEMPORARY stimulus. The feds need increased revenue badly, as much as nobody likes that, and the Bush tax cuts didn't do our deficit any favors.

7. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    393 threads
    20,832 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

7   12:29am Mon 26 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

bmwman91 says

iwog says

Maybe so. Still, has everyone forgotten the definition of "temporary"? The Bush tax cuts were supposed to be a TEMPORARY stimulus. The feds need increased revenue badly, as much as nobody likes that, and the Bush tax cuts didn't do our deficit any favors.

I'm okay with the tax cuts expiring on dividends, capital gains, estate taxes, and the top income tax bracket.

I do however want to see the tax cuts on most working Americans made permanent. It's good policy and helps the wealth disparity problem.

8. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    80 threads
    3,306 comments
    Lakeshore, CA

8   5:24am Mon 26 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

I do however want to see the tax cuts on most working Americans made permanent. It's good policy and helps the wealth disparity problem.

and your future rent increases, LOL

9. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    393 threads
    20,832 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

9   7:28am Mon 26 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Bellingham Bill says

iwog says

and your future rent increases, LOL

Yup that too. Obamacare does raise taxes on rents although not much.

tovarichpeter is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 63 milliseconds to create.