« previous   misc   next »

Time to End Gridlock in the Senate

By tovarichpeter   Follow   Sun, 25 Nov 2012, 5:08am PST   498 views   9 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/us/politics/new-senates-first-task-will-likely-be-trying-to-fix-itself.html?hp&_r=0&gwh=E48BEF4E3DFF131FB8B6D2FBF20AF7E9

Sent from my iPad

Comments 1-9 of 9     Last »

mmmarvel   Sun, 25 Nov 2012, 6:49am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 1

By the same token, I have no problem with government gridlock. It just means that the government has a harder time messing with my life. Combine that with a really bad president with really bad ideas and I love gridlock.

iwog   Sun, 25 Nov 2012, 2:02pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 2

mmmarvel says

By the same token, I have no problem with government gridlock. It just means that the government has a harder time messing with my life. Combine that with a really bad president with really bad ideas and I love gridlock.

Government gridlock is precisely why your taxes are going WAY up on January 1st. It is also why we have a runaway debt and insolvent Medicare and Social Security.

There's nothing good about a dysfunctional government.

Kevin   Sun, 25 Nov 2012, 2:08pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 3

mmmarvel says

You want a government that is incapable of acting? There are 50 of them in Africa for you to choose from.

Dan8267   Sun, 25 Nov 2012, 3:57pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 4

iwog says

There's nothing good about a dysfunctional government.

There is one thing...

The utter incompetency of our government is the one thing that protects us from the sheer evilness of our government.

Dan8267   Sun, 25 Nov 2012, 4:00pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 5

iwog says

Government gridlock is precisely why your taxes are going WAY up on January 1st.

I actually hope this happens. Paying higher taxes is worth the automatic cuts in the defense industry spending. I don't see politicians ever cutting that wasteful "defense" industry spending except by going off the fiscal cliff.

However, I don't think the Democrats will have the balls to stick to their plans and they'll cave into the bat-shit crazy Republicans. I'd love to be wrong about this, but I doubt I am. The Dems will probably agree to some deal where the Republicans get 100% of what they want.

bmwman91   Sun, 25 Nov 2012, 4:22pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 6

iwog says

Government gridlock is precisely why your taxes are going WAY up on January 1st.

Maybe so. Still, has everyone forgotten the definition of "temporary"? The Bush tax cuts were supposed to be a TEMPORARY stimulus. The feds need increased revenue badly, as much as nobody likes that, and the Bush tax cuts didn't do our deficit any favors.

iwog   Sun, 25 Nov 2012, 4:29pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 7

bmwman91 says

iwog says

Maybe so. Still, has everyone forgotten the definition of "temporary"? The Bush tax cuts were supposed to be a TEMPORARY stimulus. The feds need increased revenue badly, as much as nobody likes that, and the Bush tax cuts didn't do our deficit any favors.

I'm okay with the tax cuts expiring on dividends, capital gains, estate taxes, and the top income tax bracket.

I do however want to see the tax cuts on most working Americans made permanent. It's good policy and helps the wealth disparity problem.

Bellingham Bill   Sun, 25 Nov 2012, 9:24pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 8

iwog says

I do however want to see the tax cuts on most working Americans made permanent. It's good policy and helps the wealth disparity problem.

and your future rent increases, LOL

iwog   Sun, 25 Nov 2012, 11:28pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 9

Bellingham Bill says

iwog says

and your future rent increases, LOL

Yup that too. Obamacare does raise taxes on rents although not much.

tovarichpeter is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email

home   top   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net