Propped Up Convoluded Housing Market

By David9   Follow   Sun, 25 Nov 2012, 5:49pm   1,670 views   12 comments
In Tarzana CA 91356   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (5)   Dislike  

Just some Sunday evening reading:

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-03-21/markets/31219076_1_shadow-inventory-insolvent-banks-real-estate-market

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/24/foreign-home-buyers/

http://blog.redfin.com/blog/2012/07/home_prices_up_3_but_when_will_the_other_shoe_drop.html

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/09/04/obamas-secret-plan-to-prop-up-housing-prices/

http://www.theburningplatform.com/?tag=home-prices

I personally like this quote:

"HOW TO INCREASE HOME PRICES WHEN HOUSEHOLD INCOME IS FALLING?"
"It’s easy. You artificially create a shortage of supply by not putting foreclosed homes on the market. You have the Central bank artificially keep interest rates below market rates by buying up the bad mortgage debt from the criminal Wall Street banks. You encourage the same dumbass flippers that contributed to the first housing bubble to jump back into the game. Then you convince clueless math challenged dupes across the land that they better buy before it’s too late. Then get the corporate MSM to run blaring headlines when home prices and sales blip up by the tiniest fraction, and still 60% below the levels of 2005. Dr. Housing Bubble lays it all out. "

Viewing Comments 1-12 of 12     Last »     See most liked comments

1. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

1   7:39pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Everyone can see that it is being propped up. The thing is, though, that it looks like the things that are artificially propping it up are made from bricks and mortar, not rotten balsa wood like some seem to think. The fucked up housing market IS the system, and it's generally a waste of time to fight the system. You can opt-out, but you probably can't beat it. You can also try to wait it out, but it looks like Bubble 2.0 will be deliberately created and maintained by the government, as opposed to the last one where the government was just too incompetent to see why it wasn't going to end well and they just let it roll.

2. JohnLaw

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    133 comments

2   8:06pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

bmwman91 says

You can also try to wait it out, but it looks like Bubble 2.0 will be deliberately created and maintained by the government, as opposed to the last one where the government was just too incompetent to see why it wasn't going to end well and they just let it roll.

They can't keep propping it up forever when 40% of the USG is funded by debt (over half of which is monetized). There is either going to be run away inflation and a currency crisis or the bond market is going to implode, in which case the mortgage market will freeze. Does anybody really believe that the USG is going to put propping up the housing market above paying for civil servant and military pensions and salaries? I'm afraid that's what it will eventually come down to.

3. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

3   8:09pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Well at the very least, as sales drop, and demand is destroyed by literally no inventory, maybe the NAR will disappear as a political force.

4. David9

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    1,027 comments
    Tarzana, CA

4   8:29pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

JohnLaw says

They can't keep propping it up forever

And publishing those ridiculus real estate cheerleading articles which I find so irritating.

Most people get signs 'things just aren't right' in their daily lives.
    Just before posting this, I did a search of 1 bedroom (not studio) apartments under $2,500 a month in New York City, over 2,300 came up.. Of course I didn't do through all of them but what I saw were in decent parts of town like the Upper East Side. My point is, I was surprised by that many 1 bedrooms, the propaganda machine had me believing the price was more and with limited availability.

5. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

5   8:55pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

bmwman91 says

The thing is, though, that it looks like the things that are artificially propping it up are made from bricks and mortar

These are the same people who have been trying to keep gold price from rising for the last 30 years. Look where that got them.

6. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

6   11:39pm Sun 25 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Man, that is a sobering read. Will someone stop this insanity already? C'mon Obama. Seriously.

7. marco

Follow
    Befriend
    347 comments
    Black Mountain, NC

7   4:03am Mon 26 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Neither Obama or Romney gives a rat's ass about the average person ... Seriously..

"Mama, she keeps them unprepared
    To meet the enemy
    That's comin' unto us
    Teach them that evil dwells across the sea
    Lives in a mountain
    Like they see on TV

Down in the heart of town
    The Devil dresses up
    He keeps his nails clean
    Did you think he'd be a boogeyman?"

Buffy St. Marie

8. David9

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    1,027 comments
    Tarzana, CA

8   10:57am Mon 26 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

underwaterman says

Thanks David for giving up these links.

You're welcome. My pleasure.

For shared knowledge sake, when I search for links, I try to think up different search phrases, 'housing market' just brings up the irritating cheerleader stuff, this seach was
    'propped up housing market', other links I found were phrases like 'housing fraud', 'housing inventory withheld', etc.

9. MMR

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    367 comments
    New York, NY

9   3:09pm Mon 26 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Just before posting this, I did a search of 1 bedroom (not studio) apartments under $2,500 a month in New York City, over 2,300 came up.. Of course I didn't do through all of them but what I saw were in decent parts of town like the Upper East Side. My point is, I was surprised by that many 1 bedrooms, the propaganda machine had me believing the price was more and with limited availability.

A lot of apartments on the upper east side lack convenient subway access. Unless it's close to lexington avenue. There is plenty supply of crappy apartments at low rents you speak of. Try finding something closer to the subway (such as the 6 line) and the rents are much higher. How many of those apartments are between 59th, 68th 77th, 86th and 96th near lex? Just UES alone doesnt equal desirable. Subway access drives asking price. Having to cross more than one avenue or 3 or 4 blocks has a profound downward effect on the asking rental price. If you do all that, then you have a clear picture of whats desirable and what it costs. NYC is a part of a very large bubble. Currently, there is very little in NYC that is actually affordable and desirable. Those 1 bedrooms are probably below 700 sq ft to boot.

10. MMR

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    367 comments
    New York, NY

10   3:11pm Mon 26 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

David9 says

Most people get signs 'things just aren't right' in their daily lives.

A lot of apartments on the upper east side lack convenient subway access. Unless it's close to lexington avenue. There is plenty supply of crappy apartments at low rents you speak of. Try finding something closer to the subway (such as the 6 line) and the rents are much higher. How many of those apartments are between 59th, 68th 77th, 86th and 96th near lex? Just UES alone doesnt equal desirable. Subway access drives asking price. Having to cross more than one avenue or 3 or 4 blocks has a profound downward effect on the asking rental price. If you do all that, then you have a clear picture of whats desirable and what it costs. NYC is a part of a very large bubble. Currently, there is very little in NYC that is actually affordable and desirable. Those 1 bedrooms are probably below 700 sq ft to boot.

11. woppa

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    4 threads
    196 comments
    Bronx, NY

11   3:32pm Mon 26 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Well the fact is that houses have lost 20% here from their peak. I hope you are right though, as I feel they should have lost probably 50%.

12. David9

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    1,027 comments
    Tarzana, CA

12   4:00pm Mon 26 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

MMR says

Subway access drives asking price.

MMR, Thanks! I always appreciate advice and tid bits about New York City. Seems you love it or you hate it. What a microcosm of 'Class' New York city is, all determined by how much money you have.

David9 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 67 milliseconds to create.