Economists, Obama administration at odds over role of mortgage debt in recovery

By Patrick   Follow   Tue, 27 Nov 2012, 7:49pm   301 views   2 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/economists-obama-administration-at-odds-over-role-of-mortgage-debt-in-slow-recovery/2012/11/22/dc83f25e-2e87-11e2-89d4-040c9330702a_print.html

One year and one month before President Obama won reelection, he invited seven of the world’s top economists to a private meeting in the Oval Office to hear their advice on what do to fix the ailing economy. “I’m not asking you to consider the political feasibility of things,” he told them in the previously unreported meeting.

Viewing Comments 1-2 of 2     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Entitlemented

Follow
    Befriend
    15 threads
    499 comments
    Goleta, CA

1   9:09pm Tue 27 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I will go one further. I think its plausible, that the housing bubble was malinvestment of the highest order. Peoples need for luxury was satiated, and this then reduced their impetus for improved education and work ethic. Why would you apply yourself to a science or useful degree - your going to get rich off your house. The decline in manufacturing paralled the increase in the bubble (due in part to entitlement thinking and due in part to NAFTA).

NAFTA and CRA were a dueling Malinvestment. Had we worked to keep key jobs, and had we not had a bubble, the US economy would have grown slower, steadier, and this whole bubble was avoidable.

2. troutman

Follow
    Befriend
    8 comments

2   4:23am Wed 28 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

forgive mortgage principal??? and destroy the shadow $700 trillion derivative market? they were in a box and still are.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 30 milliseconds to create.