patrick.net

forgot password?   register

#housing #investing #politics more»
763,783 comments in 78,826 posts by 11,144 registered users, 4 online now: Bellingham Bill, jazz_music, just any guy, mell

new post

Economists, Obama administration at odds over role of mortgage debt in recovery

By someone else   2012 Nov 27, 11:49am   638 views   2 comments   watch (1)   quote      

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/economists-obama-administration-at-odds-over-role-of-mortgage-debt-in-slow-recovery/2012/11/22/dc83f25e-2e87-11e2-89d4-040c9330702a_print.html

One year and one month before President Obama won reelection, he invited seven of the world’s top economists to a private meeting in the Oval Office to hear their advice on what do to fix the ailing economy. “I’m not asking you to consider the political feasibility of things,” he told them in the previously unreported meeting.

#politics

Comments 1-2 of 2     Last »

1   Entitlemented   2012 Nov 27, 1:09pm     ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote    

I will go one further. I think its plausible, that the housing bubble was malinvestment of the highest order. Peoples need for luxury was satiated, and this then reduced their impetus for improved education and work ethic. Why would you apply yourself to a science or useful degree - your going to get rich off your house. The decline in manufacturing paralled the increase in the bubble (due in part to entitlement thinking and due in part to NAFTA).

NAFTA and CRA were a dueling Malinvestment. Had we worked to keep key jobs, and had we not had a bubble, the US economy would have grown slower, steadier, and this whole bubble was avoidable.

2   troutman   2012 Nov 27, 8:23pm     ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote    

forgive mortgage principal??? and destroy the shadow $700 trillion derivative market? they were in a box and still are.

Comments 1-2 of 2     Last »

users   about   suggestions   contact  
topics   random post   best comments   comment jail  
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy  
8 groups who lie about the housing market  
37 bogus arguments about housing  
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home