Quiet Bath & Kitchen Fans. Pumps. Cool Mechanical Stuff. Engineers Boutique (Advertisement)

Right After The Election, New Home Sales Tumble From Downward Revised

By Call it Crazy   Follow   Wed, 28 Nov 2012, 8:11am   937 views   14 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (3)  

Surprise: Right After The Election, New Home Sales Tumble From Downward Revised Two Year High.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-11-28/surprise-right-after-election-new-home-sales-tumble-downward-revised-two-year-high

There are those who may be surprised that last month's number of Seasonally Adjusted New Home Sales, which was then reported at 389K, and which number hit the airwaves days before the Obama reelection, was the highest since April 2010. We are not among them, as we were fully expecting today's number to be a major revision of the September number lower - as just happened, with the whopper of a print revised far lower to 369K - but doubled down with the additional miss of expectations of Seasonally Adjusted annualized new home sales of 390K for October when in reality only 368K were sold. All these numbers are annualized.

When observed on an as is basis, in October there was a grand total of 29,000 new homes sold in the entire USA, with the Northeast representing a whopping... 2,000 of this. Oh and of the 29,000 houses sold, 9,000 were not even started.

And finally, for those who enjoy pointing out the rise in home prices driven only and exclusively by foreclosure inventory stuffing and removal of all such real estate from the open markets, both the median and average new home price ($237,700 and $278,900) printed at at the lowest since June.

Oh wait, we know: Sandy's fault. Which explains all bad data. When the data is good, it is nobody's fault.

Please point out the housing "recovery" on the chart below.

Viewing Comments 1-14 of 14     Last »     See most liked comments

1. tatupu70

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    19 threads
    7,601 comments

1   8:18am Wed 28 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I'm not sure why this is surprising to anyone. New home construction has been almost zero for the last 4 years and with no construction, it's hard to have sales. The inventory that is left is the garbage that may never sell due to crappy locations...

2. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    45 threads
    3,327 comments

2   8:24am Wed 28 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Home sales always tumble in the winter months. Nuttin' to do with Obama.

3. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    624 threads
    8,874 comments

3   8:33am Wed 28 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

edvard2 says

Nuttin' to do with Obama.

Who mentioned Useless?

4. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    45 threads
    3,327 comments

4   8:38am Wed 28 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

CaptainShuddup says

Who mentioned Useless?

You did.

Billybigrig says

R.E.Damage Control Patrol ,to the rescue...

I could really care less what RE does and as a disclosure I bought a house. But homes sales do in fact slow pretty much every single year so its interesting that every year people make the same claims- that homes sales are slowing. Of course they are. Its the winter.

5. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    621 threads
    7,215 comments

5   8:44am Wed 28 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

edvard2 says

Home sales always tumble in the winter months. Nuttin' to do with Obama.

Wow, I didn't realize September was winter in the U.S..... Thanks for the weather education!!

6. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    621 threads
    7,215 comments

6   8:45am Wed 28 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

CaptainShuddup says

edvard2 says

Nuttin' to do with Obama.

Who mentioned Useless?

7. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    45 threads
    3,327 comments

7   8:52am Wed 28 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Call it Crazy says

Wow, I didn't realize September was winter in the U.S..... Thanks for the weather education!!

The election was in November.

8. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    621 threads
    7,215 comments

8   9:21am Wed 28 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

edvard2 says

Call it Crazy says

The election was in November.

You REALLY have reading comprehension issues..... the article was stating data from SEPTEMBER!!! No wonder you voted for Obama....

9. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    45 threads
    3,327 comments

9   9:27am Wed 28 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Typing in ALL CAPS doesn't correct the issue with the post that

"Right After The Election, New Home Sales Tumble From Downward Revised"

Like I said- sales ALWAYS slow or fall in the winter. Oh- and BTW, Obama won. SO get used to it.

10. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    45 threads
    3,327 comments

10   9:40am Wed 28 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I guess my confusion here is that what does homes sales have to do with the outcome of the election? Nothing.

But before I continue, let me say that I waited probably longer than anyone else on this forum to buy a home. As in I waited for well over 12 years where from afar I watched this thing inflate and deflate. Yeah- I totally get the frustration and irritation over the real estate thing. I still think the system is more or less heavily controlled because obviously selling houses is a literal gold mine for both government and business as it means revenue from multiple angles. I know what its like to hopelessly watch home prices sail off into the stratosphere. Its especially bad in the Bay Area and its still pretty bad. Trust me... I was THERE for a very, very long time.

That doesn't mean that sales also don't tend to slide in the winter. I know because I watched those numbers like a hawk for well over a decade. Every single year, surprise-surprise, sales fell. Why? Because a lot of people who have kids buy in the summer right before schools open. There is a massive flurry of activity. And then in the winter comes the doldrums.

I also have a lot of friends who simply quit looking because there is so little inventory around here that they were simply getting out-bid on every house. Things are still nutty in the Bay Area.

In the end I'm all for a normal, steady, and more stable housing market. My house is what I live in. My retirement savings and investments are what my investments are. Real estate seldom makes as good of an investment as stocks and bonds and thus has proven to be true more or less for the past 100+ years. So in the end I could genuinely care less what value my house might be at. I don't plan to sell it anyway so what good is it to me as to what its worth?

11. hllnwlz

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    19 comments
    Tustin, CA

11   8:10am Tue 4 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The issue is that the numbers are high before the election in order to promote the idea that there is a "recovery" underway. The fact that they were revised downward after the election shows that a lot of the numbers touted as indicators of returning economic health were not to be trusted.

And before anyone jumps on me by saying "economic numbers are constantly revised" I'd like to point out that his begs the question as to why they are published before they can be verified.

Pump and dump, baby while .gov keeps the sheeple high on hopium.

12. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    624 threads
    8,874 comments

12   8:55am Tue 4 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

edvard2 says

Oh- and BTW, Obama won. SO get used to it.

Yes the Bush legacy is safe. Between Bush and Boehner there's nothing Obama can do but blame. Four more years of the same. Wake me when the Oil hole opens up in the gulf again. We're due any day now.

This wont be over until Obama Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow inventory.

13. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    621 threads
    7,215 comments

13   9:01am Tue 4 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

CaptainShuddup says

This wont be over until Obama Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow inventory.

Ha Ha.... boy, you're wound up today!!

14. fedwatcher

Follow
    Befriend
    231 comments
    Valencia, CA

14   8:10pm Wed 5 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

All economic statistics are revised. They are often based on inadequate surveys as we demand new numbers every week or every month. It is much ado about nothing. When it is government that supplies the numbers, we have government employees we should let go. When it is private industry who supplies the numbers, we should always consider the source.

Call it Crazy is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 93 milliseconds to create.