Nursing homes ripping off residents

By tovarichpeter   Follow   Wed, 28 Nov 2012, 6:23pm   566 views   9 comments
In South San Francisco CA 94080   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.baycitizen.org/health/story/lawsuit-targets-nursing-home-management/?utm_source=Newsletters&utm_campaign=e99968c918-November_28_Daily_newsletter&utm_medium=email&mc_cid=e99968c918&mc_eid=d4619f23d5

Sent from my iPad

Viewing Comments 1-9 of 9     Last »     See most liked comments

1. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,869 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

1   2:19am Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Since MediCal sets the rates for the nursing home, it should simply reduce it by the 5% charged by the nursing home "management company."

The lawsuit is a loser... the laws are fucked up. They should change the laws to limit this practice. It won't improve patient care, though. As long as the industry is allowed to have minimal CNA's & Nurses per patient (and allows non-direct care licensed staff members such as management to be counted toward their ratio of patient to staff...) this will continue.

2. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    861 threads
    7,315 comments
    Baltimore, MD

2   7:01pm Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

What's really a ripoff is the 6K/month (or more) they charge for wiping old people's asses.

3. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    117 threads
    4,464 comments

3   7:53pm Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Having visited too many people in nursing homes, I cannot understand how any rational person would consider permanent residence in such a place preferable to being shot in the head.

4. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    925 threads
    11,783 comments

4   8:20pm Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

curious2 says

Having visited too many people in nursing homes, I cannot understand how any rational person would consider permanent residence in such a place preferable to being shot in the head.

Usually, the person being put in there doesn't realize where they are.... if they were rational, they would still be at home with family...

5. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,869 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

5   3:33pm Sun 2 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

Call it Crazy says

if they were rational, they would still be at home with family...

Not true. Many people in nursing homes are alert and oriented. So far as "rational," vs "irrational," that's not the issue. There are many people who require assistance that can't be provided by their families - or they can't afford it at home. People are often forced to go into nursing homes because they can't afford the treatment - such as co-payments and deductibles for feeding tubes, wound care, etc.

"Obamacare" will not make a difference to these people. FYI

6. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    117 threads
    4,464 comments

6   3:42pm Sun 2 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

elliemae says

So far as "rational," vs "irrational," that's not the issue.

In a larger sense it is though.

As Kurt Vonnegut wrote, many people (he may have said most) are cursed with lives not worth living and an iron will to live. Sometimes it's fear, other times religion (those two are related). The institutional structure reflects this irrationality, partly because it serves powerful financial interests.

Even in Britain, which has socialized medicine, the case of Tony Nicklinson illustrates the larger irrationality. An avid outdoorsman, Tony was paralysed by a stroke and wanted euthenasia. His petition was denied, so he had to refuse food until he starved, which is a really miserable way to die.

The institutional structure is designed to make people die as slowly and expensively as possible. It isn't rational overall, but it's very lucrative so it's rational for certain lobbyists and their clients, and it enables people to avoid confronting their fears. Meanwhile, people want to believe that if they pay enough money, they'll live forever; they can't of course, but too many of them refuse to accept that fact, so they end up dying too slowly and miserably instead.

7. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,869 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

7   12:04am Wed 5 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

curious2 says

The institutional structure is designed to make people die as slowly and expensively as possible.

Much of the time, nursing homes aren't as expensive as remaining at home. Hiring in-home care can be expensive.

Medicaid programs do pay for group homes or assisted livings on a very limited basis - these places are substantially cheaper than nursing homes. But the nursing home lobby is doing their best to ensure that the majority of dollars goes to nursing homes.

8. lisalisa

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    82 comments
    New Lenox, IL

8   4:50am Wed 5 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

My mother asked me to never be put into a nursing home.
    I promised her I would not. I made sure she was comfortable in her home. I brought her groceries every weekend, and made sure all bills were paid. I hired people to clean, cook and watch her. I took turns helping when the help had to be relieved.
    Nobody else in the family would come over to help or visit

Every Family is different... Family medical history is taken into account.
    My mother knew what it was like to put her mother in a nursing home.
    I'm glad I fulfilled my promise to my mother, despite the family backlash... and it's all about the $$$... and it was her money... not mine.
    I hope I never have to be in one.

9. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,869 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

9   6:19am Wed 5 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

The problem is the cost of care; many people can't afford to pay for their care. I've also seen family members who refuse to pay for their parents' care because they look forward to spending mom & dad's money.

The majority of people I meet are good, kind, honest people who will do anything they can to help their family member. Like Lisallsa (by the way, I loved your band!). It's very nice to see a family who will do anything for a family member.

tovarichpeter is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 98 milliseconds to create.