Ideas on how to use less energy (Advertisement)

Is Tamiflu Bogus?

By bgamall4   Follow   Thu, 29 Nov 2012, 7:26am   968 views   14 comments
In Las Vegas NV 89117   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/11/28/science-behind-tamiflu.aspx?e_cid=20121128_DNL_US_art_1

What should you reach for when you come down with the flu? The antiviral drug Tamiflu is the second recommendation on the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) list of recommended treatments, right behind the flu vaccine. Both the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Medicines Agency have approved Tamiflu for both the treatment and prevention of flu, and governments around the world have stockpiled the drug at the recommendation of the World Health Organization (WHO), in preparation for potential flu pandemics.

Viewing Comments 1-14 of 14     Last »     See most liked comments

1. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    256 threads
    3,089 comments
    San Francisco, CA

1   8:12am Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I like Dr. Mercola's views quite a lot though I do think he sometimes goes a bit too far. I think he is spot on on the flu vaccines and tamiflu as well as his recommendation to get high-strength sun exposure without sunscreen every day for at least 20 minutes on as much exposed body surfaces as possible to address the widespread Vit D. deficiency. I never take the flu shot and would refuse to do so if forced by any means but I do acknowledge that the flu is a serious illness (even from my own experience) and though making recommendations for others is tricky. However historical data shows close to zero benefit from flu vaccinations, esp. for the "risk group" of elderly.

2. bgamall4

Follow
    Befriend (11)
    1,119 threads
    5,885 comments
    64 male
    Las Vegas, NV
    bgamall4's website
    Premium

2   8:39am Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

D3 is good too. Also, he is just asking for the data on the Tamiflu. That does not seem to be an outrageous request.

3. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    93 threads
    3,849 comments

3   10:35am Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Like much of allopathy, Tamiflu is overrated in the public mind because the evening news is brought to you primarily by PhRMA (count the ads) and publication of studies is biased with "successful" studies published first and then "unsuccessful" studies following a few years later. Also payments to doctors, despite Bob's denials, push the new wonder drugs onto patients. This gives rise to the old practitioner's adage, "Always prescribe a new drug in its first two years on the market, while it still works."

Tamiflu is an anti-viral drug that, if taken very early (either before onset of flu symptoms or within 1 day after), may prevent or abbreviate symptoms. That makes it comparable to hot soup, and tea with honey. Anti-viral drug technology may be tremendously useful in other contexts, but Tamiflu for the flu is like the Patriot Missile in the first Iraq war: it got a lot of attention, but didn't accomplish much.

The same can be said of many drugs. TPA, hailed as a marvel for certain types of strokes, turned out to be about as effective as the right ratio of alcohol and caffeine - but much more expensive. Bob's favorite OxyContin [he says he uses generic oxycodone - see below] is a time release opioid, similar to traditional opium but fraudulently marketed by Purdue as "not habit forming" even though of course it is addictive and Bob sounds hooked. The standard for drug approval is the benefit must be statistically significant, but need not be satisfactory.

4. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    3,660 comments

4   11:06am Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

curious2 says

Bob's favorite OxyContin is a time release opioid, similar to traditional opium but fraudulently marketed by Purdue as "not habit forming" even though of course it is addictive and Bob sounds hooked.

Actually I've never taken oxycontin but have used oxycodone in other forms, as well as other opiates, (as have millions of other people) for pain relief with no problems, Thanks for your concern but you don't know dick about me.

By the way I love your solution to the problem of the entire medical industry existing only to push drugs that have no use or effect on the helpless unsuspecting public. Give everyone unlimited access without prescription to those same useless, and/or harmful, and/or highly addictive drugs. Brilliant, you can't make this stuff up. How do you keep so many conflicting ideas in your head all at once? It's a rare talent.

5. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    93 threads
    3,849 comments

5   11:12am Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bob2356 says

How do you keep so many conflicting ideas in your head all at once?

Simple, I ignore your nonsensical strawmen and focus on reality. If people have free choice, they can skip the useless (e.g., most of your comments) and choose what actually works. Currently, people are required to pay doctors (e.g., your wife, who must have the patience of a saint to stay married to you but whose judgment does not inspire confidence). Those doctors, in turn, are often indoctrinated or bribed (or both) to prescribe the most expensive, and least helpful, of PhRMA's currently marketed products. People get stuck with the most expensive, not the best.

6. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    3,660 comments

6   11:13am Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

curious2 says

Also payments to doctors, despite Bob's denials, push the new wonder drugs onto patients. T

Yes I'm still waiting to find out how these payments work other than the article you found that said some doctors get paid to speak as drug reps. How do the other 99.9% of dea license holders get paid to push the new wonder drugs? Where do these mysterious payments come from? How are they paid? Where is the accounting? Still a mystery. Is this another thing where you are actually talking about doctors in India perhaps?

7. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    93 threads
    3,849 comments

7   11:15am Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bob2356 says

Is this another thing where you are actually talking about doctors in India perhaps?

I provided several articles for you, all about American doctors and drug companies. But, your selective memory ignores them. Your comments are a waste of time, and can only be explained by the opiates and opioids you've admitted, and whatever other narcotics you're on, that have evidently affected your memory and personality.

8. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    3,660 comments

8   11:20am Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

curious2 says

People get stuck with the most expensive, not the best.

Perhaps you are not aware that you have the right to ask your pharmacist for a generic. No one is forced to accept a script from a doctor. You can ask about different meds, people do all the time, or see a different doctor.

How are they stuck? You never answered that question either. So all those people who are not capable of asking for a generic will simply choose the correct drug for themselves in your ideal world where there are no prescriptions. Sorry georgie boy you can't have it both ways.

I like how any question you can't or don't want to answer is a strawman. Nice.

9. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    93 threads
    3,849 comments

9   11:22am Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Bobbie boy, you are willfully ignorant of how generic purchasing works in American pharmacies. First there isn't always a right to get a generic, some states don't have it and others allow the prescriber to write DAW (dispense as written) or similar to preclude it. Second even if a generic is allowed it will only be of the same active ingredient, not another that would be better; if the active ingredient remains on patent, there is no generic equivalent and the customer is not allowed to substitute something better. I've explained this to you before, but your drug-addled memory can't recall anymore. Sober up, get clean, and come back when you've done enough reading to have an intelligent discussion.

10. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    3,660 comments

10   11:24am Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

curious2 says

bob2356 says

Is this another thing where you are actually talking about doctors in India perhaps?

I provided several articles for you, all about American doctors and drug companies. But, your selective memory ignores them. Your comments are a waste of time, and can only be explained by the opiates and opioids you've admitted and whatever other narcotics you're on.

No your mind wanders this time. You produced three articles. One about doctors being paid as speakers. One about drug companies benefits to doctors in the 80's that were all banned by 1990. One about a small group of doctors in CA that discovered a loophole in the CA disability law that allowed them to sell drugs to their disability patients at high markups. Those 2 small groups of doctors plus an totally irrelevant article doesn't qualify in my mind as "all about" american doctors and drug companies. Perhaps you have been hitting the oxycontin yourself.

11. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    93 threads
    3,849 comments

11   11:29am Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  
  12. coriacci1

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    73 threads
    334 comments

12   1:02pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Chinese herb mix may shorten flu fever
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/15/us-chinese-herb-flu-idUSTRE77E5OI20110815

no matter what the ailment, i always check traditional chinese medicene first. so far my family and i have had very good results for all illnesses, including for nsclc. hubby is still alive and kicking after 2 years and 4 months, when the oncy gave him 4 months if he opted out of “conventional medicine”. he’s alive thanks to chinese herbs!

herbs are readily available in the us now, either from on line sources or your friendly neighborhood chinese medicine practicioner. what’s more, they are cheaper and if prescribed and administered properly, no side effects!

the chinese have been doing it for thousands of years, their system offers viable, less costly, alternatives and much hope to all of us suffering under the unbearable weight of the medical-pharma-industrial complex.

13. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    3,660 comments

13   10:31am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

curious2 says

Your comments are a waste of time, and can only be explained by the opiates and opioids you've admitted, and whatever other narcotics you're on, that have evidently affected your memory and personality.

I guess when you can't defend your positions and respond to questions you are reduced to saying I'm a drug addict and my wife has poor judgement. That's pretty pathetic even for you. Lucky for me as I sit here looking over the vineyards as the sun is just starting to light up the snow covered southern alps my concern about your opinion is considerably less than zero.

With all due respect perhaps if you worked on your reading comprehension and English language skills things would be better. I said I have used medicinal opiates. That's called past tense. That means it happened in the past. Due to your serious language skills deficit you couldn't distinguish that from I am taking opiates which is the present tense thereby once again embarrassing yourself by referring to the narcotics I'm on, also present tense. I realize it must be very frustrating to have all those conflicting ideas in your head while lacking the ability to articulate them. Poor language skills is nothing to be ashamed of, but you should seriously make an effort however since high levels of frustration can lead to sexual dysfunction. Never let it be said I don't have concern for the welfare of my fellow man as my foremost priority.

Luckily for me, my drug addled self along with my judgement impaired wife managed to get multiple citizen ships and she is fully qualified to practice in 4 countries. When we need medical care we have a choice of 3 excellent public health systems. When, not if but when, you need medical care you are stuck with whatever shitburger obamacare hands you. Or when the ponzi scheme called the US government blows up you are stuck with that shitburger too.

It's getting light enough to go out now and surf.co.nz says it running 1.5 clean to the se so I'm going to get in a session before the kids wake up. I'll have to get back to your other post another time. Have a really great day. Always a pleasure (or at least amusing) to post with you.

Keep up the good work, between you, shrek, and apocolypse fuck I almost always get a good laugh first thing in the morning.

14. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    256 threads
    3,089 comments
    San Francisco, CA

14   10:38am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

In India they use Andrographis tea - extremely bitter but effective against the influenza.

Premium member bgamall4 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 152 milliseconds to create.