It really is a Mad Mad world...

By CaptainShuddup   Follow   Thu, 29 Nov 2012, 11:58am   1,505 views   31 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/29/smallbusiness/fast-food-strike-mcdonalds/

So an industry that the Mayor of NYC him self has seen fit to single handedly destroy in his town, and a first lady that talks bad about them, while her husband publicly praises the jobs they create, all of which never started until some punk trying to make a name for him self, decided to eat nothing but McDonald's food for every meal for a full 30 days. A feat which no human being has ever intentionally ever done in the history of everything epicurean.

These geniuses working the counter with a name badge, hocking items that have a 2cent profit margin, reckon they squeeze more pay out of McDonald's for their effort.
Something tells me Bloomberg is going to get his wish. It's going to be a very good Christmas for him, when McDonald's in NYC shutter their doors, ala Hostess.

Note for the clueless min wage workers.
Let me tell you something. You're working that pathetic dead end job because you're a cheap bastard with no soul or respect for your community. Wal-Mart came to town and you forgot all about the Harrold's 5 and dime, and Sue's clothing store, Fred's Bait and tackle shop, and Mama's Diner the people that had business for generations, and treated their employees well. They didn't employ a lot of people, but there was a lot of them and collectively they employed more people.

You eat at McDonald's because of the marketing, while the landmark Deli's and Diners all went out of business because of your patronage to all things crap that is corporate food.

I hate to break it to you, but for a meal that cost less than a can of Alpo, there isn't more money in it for you. Now either get back to work, or do something about the hell you've created for your self. Like stop eating the shit, that can't even provide a decent living for you.

Viewing Comments 1-31 of 31     Last »     See most liked comments

1. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    375 threads
    19,953 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

1   12:02pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)   Protected  

CaptainShuddup says

So an industry that the Mayor of NYC him self has seen fit to single handedly destroy in his town

Not hyperbole at all.

2. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    855 threads
    11,014 comments

2   12:04pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

You're right how silly of me, the Mc Mayor was modeled after Mayor Bloomberg, but of course!

3. JohnLaw

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    133 comments

3   12:06pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

Wal-Mart came to town and you forgot all about the Harrold's 5 and dime, and Sue's clothing store, Fred's Bait and tackle shop, and Mama's Diner the people that had business for generations, and treated their employees well.

Most small business retailers don't offer pay or benefits that match Wal-Mart. I'd be interested to see some some actual data backing this claim. Besides, patrons pay a lot more for mostly the same product at small businesses. What about the customer?

4. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    855 threads
    11,014 comments

4   12:21pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

JohnLaw says

Most small business retailers don't offer pay or benefits that match Wal-Mart.

Bullcrap they exceeded the pay, by far.
    As for benefits, that is a corporate flim flam job they used to con would be employees that never took the time to do the math to realize the only people benefiting are the companies that the HR departments in these companies deal with. The American corporate employee pays for every damn thing they get, that is in any shape or form called a "Benefit" in this country.

It's the small companies if they offer insurance, they provide it 100% free to their employees and their families. It was the small companies that offered profit sharing, that all employees could experience every year with bonuses.

Mom and Pops landmark diners that have like 50++ patrons at any given time. Pay their grill cooks $20 and up, they only have two or three employees working at any time, but they are quality people. They pay a shift less even though they pay more, because they need less people. McD's has up to 7 employees making minimum wage, and production is squeaking stand still.

5. JohnLaw

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    133 comments

5   1:07pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

Mom and Pops landmark diners

Not talking about restaurants, I was talking about retail. In that area I really think you are wrong about Ma and Pop stores paying better. Retail is cheap all over. I don't equate McDonald's with sit down restaurants. Fast food is a whole different market segment. Sit down restaurants are well represented by small and medium sized businesses. Delis might compete with fast food, but that is still different than sit-down.

6. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    855 threads
    11,014 comments

6   1:13pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

A mom and pop shop has far fewer employees, there for they can afford to pay more. Of course more is expected out of them and they have more responsibilities. But of course back then there wasn't a million HR laws these companies had to comply with.

All big chains only pay minimum wage, most mom and pops did better than that.

7. mmmarvel

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    3 threads
    953 comments
    Missouri City, TX

7   1:33pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

All big chains only pay minimum wage, most mom and pops did better than that.

A nice neighbor lady who was a stay-at-home-mom for many years (and thus no work experience for 20 plus years, although she does have a degree in english) has been looking for a job for several months. Since we are approaching the holidays she tried some of the big chain stores, Barnes and Noble and Walmart among others. She got an offer from both. Barnes and Noble offered minimum wage, Walmart offered over a buck an hour more. Needless to say, she took the Walmart job.

8. rooemoore

Follow
    Befriend
    44 threads
    1,308 comments
    male
    Larkspur, CA

8   2:32pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

I agree that Americans excessive consumerism combined with wanting to pay as little as possible - regardless of the why it is so cheap - is a big reason for low paying jobs.

If industries that are inherently domestic - that is must hire locally - were forced to pay a living wage, the effect on the businesses would ultimately be positive.

As for Bloomberg's battle with cigarettes and sodas, get used to it. As health costs rise expect to see more of this.

9. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    397 threads
    10,869 comments

9   9:27am Sat 1 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

It's Wolfie's Revenge!

10. Homeboy

Follow
    Befriend
    39 threads
    3,546 comments

10   2:56am Sun 2 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

I hate to break it to you, but for a meal that cost less than a can of Alpo, there isn't more money in it for you.

Yeah, they're operating on a shoestring budget. Their net income was only $1.46 billion.

Nobody deserves anything, except CaptainShuddup. So do you get dizzy with the entire universe orbiting around you?

11. Homeboy

Follow
    Befriend
    39 threads
    3,546 comments

11   3:07am Sun 2 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

In N Out Burger pays their workers quite a bit more than McDonald's, and they're highly successful.

12. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,509 comments
    Monterey, CA

12   3:33am Sun 2 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

So an industry that the Mayor of NYC him self has seen fit to single handedly destroy in his town, and a first lady that talks bad about them, while her husband publicly praises the jobs they create, all of which never started until some punk trying to make a name for him self, decided to eat nothing but McDonald's food for every meal for a full 30 days. A feat which no human being has ever intentionally ever done in the history of everything epicurean.

I think that paragraph is missing something... like a point.

13. kentm

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    117 threads
    971 comments

13   10:06am Sun 2 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Poor, poor McDonald's...

http://ycharts.com/companies/MCD/gross_profit_margin

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=MCD

Jun 6, 2012 – McDonald Corporate Analysis Abstract McDonald is chain of fast food ... as single restaurant by Maurice and Richard McDonald (McDonalds, 2011). .... The gross profit figures for McDonald were $15.78b for 2006, $17.3b for ...

14. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    855 threads
    11,014 comments

14   6:14am Mon 3 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Bigsby says

I think that paragraph is missing something... like a point.

Who needs a Point, when the irony of the Liberal hypocrisy practically writes its self?

15. tatupu70

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    23 threads
    8,101 comments

15   6:29am Mon 3 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

A mom and pop shop has far fewer employees, there for they can afford to pay more.

There is so much wrong with this statement, I don't know where to begin. Have you ever had an Economics class?

16. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    855 threads
    11,014 comments

16   6:45am Mon 3 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Have you ever had a job pre 2000?
    My first job when I was 15, was in a Greek owned short order diner(Think "Chee Chee Burger, NO PEPSI COKE!") owned by the two brothers that were the cheapest bastards I've ever met in my life. Even they paid me $5.00 an hour. But the verbal abuse they dished out, and what they expected for that $5.00 an hour, at a time when the minimum wage was $3.35. They would have been sued by the ACLU and every Liberal bleeding heart organization today.
    Their grill man had two nice cars, and was a home owner. One of the Greek waiters owned a brand new 78 Trans Am the black and gold one.

17. marcus

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    201 threads
    7,362 comments

17   6:56am Mon 3 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

kentm says

The gross profit figures for McDonald were $15.78b for 2006, $17.3b for ...

That doesn't even include the income that goes to franchise owners.

CaptainShuddup says

They would have been sued by the ACLU and every Liberal bleeding heart organization today.

Right. Nobody busts their butt and takes abuse for low paying jobs like you had back in the day. In fact that kind of job doesn't even exist anymore because of the ACLU and liberal bleeding heart organizations. Funny stuff, captain. You crack me up.

I also enjoyed the part where you implied that tiny businesses have to comply with millions of HR regulations. Good stuff. What do you think, if I start a little landscaping business, there are all kinds of regulations I have to follow ? Or if I start a little pizza place, I have the government and the ACLU constantly looking over my shoulder ? What country do you live in man ?

18. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    855 threads
    11,014 comments

18   7:15am Mon 3 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

marcus says

That doesn't even include the income that goes to franchise owners.

Or the dividends paid out to the tens of millions of 401K'ers every quarter, right? There's just gobs of profit in a 69 cent hamburger, why it would be the bulk of our GDP.

McDonald's has been giving the illusion that are profitable because Obama has been pumping billions into them. In return they have been building new locations and putting people on the minimum wage par time payroll. All the while Michelle has been championing hyper inflation on healthful food while villainizing the likes of McDonald's.

Wanna see just how well off McDonald's is, then call for Union wages.
    75% ++ of their stores would shutter over night. The only ones that would stay open would be the ones in places like Disney world, or Airports, Hospitals and Malls, where they have a captive patronage, and can gouge them for 4 to 5 times more than their other locations.

McDonald's for the last 4 years has been a front of growth to bilk and con people out of their retirement contributions.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1024211-hitting-new-lows-mcdonald-s-same-store-sales-decline

19. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    855 threads
    11,014 comments

19   7:26am Mon 3 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

marcus says

there are all kinds of regulations I have to follow ? Or if I start a little pizza place, I have the government and the ACLU constantly looking over my shoulder ? What country do you live in man ?

Yes and yes. Open a pizza place, in a tree house, and the Handicap bathroom police will be there the next day to fine you because you because you don't have wide doors, high toilet, and handrails in your bathroom. Never mind that not wheel chair bound person would ever climb the tree to even get to your pizza hut, but you will have to be accessible compliant just the same.

If you think landscapers aren't subject to any EPA or DOT laws then you are speaking Iwogs language fluently.

20. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    855 threads
    11,014 comments

20   7:29am Mon 3 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

kentm says

The gross profit figures for McDonald were $15.78b for 2006

Besides that being 6 years ago and the height of America's abracadabra magic ATM home era. McDonald's hadn't started spending on rebranding, remodeling, and redecorating existing stores and building millions of new stores both in the states and internationally.

21. everything

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    3 threads
    720 comments

21   10:19am Mon 3 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

This is one way you keep inflation low, pay low. The push back is because with inflation, today's wages are barely enough to pay the rent and keep some food on the table. At least with more younger generation living with the parents they can still get by accepting lower wages. Food being a necessity should not even be marked up or sold for profit, that and the junk food industry is killing the people anyways.

Might add next to this same CNN article is another stating corporate profits his record as wages squeezed.

22. rooemoore

Follow
    Befriend
    44 threads
    1,308 comments
    male
    Larkspur, CA

22   10:33am Mon 3 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Homeboy says

In N Out Burger pays their workers quite a bit more than McDonald's, and they're highly successful.

I've been told they hire high school kids with high GPAs/honor's list. This means they get the best young workers who will be leaving for college in a year or two - so no job burn out.

23. Homeboy

Follow
    Befriend
    39 threads
    3,546 comments

23   11:43am Mon 3 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

Or the dividends paid out to the tens of millions of 401K'ers every quarter, right? There's just gobs of profit in a 69 cent hamburger, why it would be the bulk of our GDP.

Do you realize that you posted a chart of sales GROWTH, ostensibly to counter the argument that McDonald's is making a large profit? Are you aware that sales growth and profit are not the same thing? They already have restaurants in practically every city in the world. How much more growing do you think they need at this point?

This is fun. All we have to do is let you talk, and you tie your own noose.

McDonald's has been giving the illusion that are profitable because Obama has been pumping billions into them. In return they have been building new locations and putting people on the minimum wage par time payroll. All the while Michelle has been championing hyper inflation on healthful food while villainizing the likes of McDonald's.

Obama has been pumping billions of dollars into McDonalds? I would sure love to see your cite on that.

24. Homeboy

Follow
    Befriend
    39 threads
    3,546 comments

24   11:47am Mon 3 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

Yes and yes. Open a pizza place, in a tree house, and the Handicap bathroom police will be there the next day to fine you because you because you don't have wide doors, high toilet, and handrails in your bathroom. Never mind that not wheel chair bound person would ever climb the tree to even get to your pizza hut, but you will have to be accessible compliant just the same.

Goddam ACLU. Them cripples oughta stay at home. They don't deserve to eat food like us able-bodied REAL 'Mericans. It's every American's God-given right to open a Pizza Hut in a treehouse.

25. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    855 threads
    11,014 comments

25   12:03pm Mon 3 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Homeboy says

Obama has been pumping billions of dollars into McDonalds? I would sure love to see your cite on that.

Oh so you think it was real growth that McDonald's announced that they added 80,000 employees earlier this year then Obama held a press conference to take credit for it?

And during a peak time that Uncle Ben was running his press machine?

26. Homeboy

Follow
    Befriend
    39 threads
    3,546 comments

26   11:29pm Mon 3 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

Oh so you think it was real growth that McDonald's announced that they added 80,000 employees earlier this year then Obama held a press conference to take credit for it?

And during a peak time that Uncle Ben was running his press machine?

Hmmm... I asked for a cite and I got a picture of Doug Henning. M'kay....

Since I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about, I googled your little factoid, and didn't find anything. Did you perhaps mean to say that 80,000 total U.S. jobs (not McDonalds) were added last June? That's the only thing I could find that even remotely resembles what you are jabbering about.

Let me say this again. Slowly. Try to focus, o.k.?

WHERE...IS....YOUR...CITATION...TO...SHOW...THAT...OBAMA...PUMPED...
    BILLIONS...OF....DOLLARS...INTO...MCDONALDS?

Please try to answer in the form of a coherent sentence, not a rambling paranoid delusion.

27. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    855 threads
    11,014 comments

27   5:37am Tue 4 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Homeboy says

Did you perhaps mean to say that 80,000 total U.S. jobs (not McDonalds) were added last June?

Yeah that's the ticket, and buy your self an act. Oh and try to stay focused while doing so.

Going around stealing Iwog's schtick, Iwog can pretend he doesn't have comprehension skills because... Well because he's Iwog. You OTH wouldn't make a pimple on Iwogs duck ass.

28. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    214 threads
    4,619 comments
    Premium

28   7:43am Tue 4 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

CaptainShuddup says

decided to eat nothing but McDonald's food for every meal for a full 30 days. A feat which no human being has ever intentionally ever done in the history of everything epicurean.

Spurlock is full of shit. The guy never communicated exactly WHAT he ate during that month. We don't know if he ate Quarter Pounders or Cokes or Diet Cokes or Chocolate Milkshakes. He's just a vegetarian activist asshole.

Also, he stopped exercising completely. And, of course, blamed the meat. As I discussed in another thread, Big Mac Meals are 90% carbs and VEGETABLE oil (the worst kind of fat). The tiny two silver dollars of meat are maybe 10% of the calories, perhaps 150 out of 1150 calories, and are half protein. Probably even less than 10% because I figure that's a diet coke going with that BM Meal.

The remedy to the BS is a movie called "Fathead", where a guy loses several pounds eating at McDonalds - his first and last visit to the doctor, with complete bloodwork, is filmed and documented showing also an improvement there - and he tells you what he eats for breakfast, lunch, and dinner there.

As I said in another thread, the Health Assholes in this country got people to reduce fat intake by 20% over 30-35 years, which is an incredible accomplishment. Sadly, people replaced satiating fat with sugary drinks and simple carbs and blew up like houses. The reason fat is demonized is because it is the most calorie dense macronutrient, it is not science, but ass/u/me. Health advocates assumed that by having people reduce the fat, they'd reduce the calories. It backfired, and created perpetually hungry, sugar-high and sugar-crashing populace that turns to Spaghetti and Lattes every few hours to keep their hunger in check, getting a fat belly in the process.

29. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    375 threads
    19,953 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

29   9:00am Tue 4 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

CaptainShuddup says

Going around stealing Iwog's schtick, Iwog can pretend he doesn't have comprehension skills because... Well because he's Iwog. You OTH wouldn't make a pimple on Iwogs duck ass.

What do you think I have trouble comprehending?

HAHAHAHAHAHA...........I'm just kidding Trout. I don't really expect you to answer a question. Just dickin with ya! ; )

30. Homeboy

Follow
    Befriend
    39 threads
    3,546 comments

30   10:59am Tue 4 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

Yeah that's the ticket, and buy your self an act. Oh and try to stay focused while doing so.

Just once, I'd like to see you admit you were wrong, instead of just obfuscating with fucking gibberish.

31. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    855 threads
    11,014 comments

31   11:27am Tue 4 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Homeboy says

Just once, I'd like to see you admit you were wrong, instead of just obfuscating with fucking gibberish.

psst Your webbed feet are showing again.

CaptainShuddup is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 149 milliseconds to create.