No Silver in Your Money, but Save Your Nickels!


By The Professor   Follow   Thu, 29 Nov 2012, 2:54pm   593 views   7 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I bought a monster slice at Cybelles Pizza last night and noticed a Franklin half dollar in the till. I bought it from the cashier. It was a 1961 franklin half dollar in good condition worth about $12 in silver content.

There is no silver in our change.

Current US coins are merely tokens representing the promise to pay a debt.

Except the nickel! The nickel is worth (in copper and nickel content) more than 5 cents. They will debase it soon so save your nickels!

Viewing Comments 1-7 of 7     Last »     See most liked comments

  1. Patrick


    Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,656 threads
    6,331 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

    1   3:05pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

    I dream of the day when we buy and sell with 100% pure silver by weight.

    No dollars. Just weight of pure silver. You can't debase that.

    A dime is about 2.5 grams right now, so we could easily make a 2.5 gram coin of pure silver about that size and at the current rate of about $1/gram, it would be cost about $2.50 to make. But the word dollar should be nowhere on it! Only this: "2.5 grams of pure silver".

  2. The Professor


    Follow
    Befriend (5)
    47 threads
    2,171 comments
    Premium

    2   3:18pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

    Patrick says

    I dream of the day when we buy and sell with 100% pure silver by weight.

    90% is fine by me.

  3. Patrick


    Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,656 threads
    6,331 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

    3   3:21pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

    100% has the advantage that the density is known.

    With 90%, you have to then ask what the other 10% is before you can figure out if your coin's density reflects the expected silver content.

  4. Patrick


    Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,656 threads
    6,331 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

    4   4:21pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

    Those transactions are credit, not cash.

    I have no problem with credit, as long as it can be converted to cash.

  5. Bellingham Bill


    Follow
    Befriend
    72 threads
    3,101 comments
    Bellingham, WA

    5   5:27pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

    Patrick says

    No dollars. Just weight of pure silver. You can't debase that.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methods_of_coin_debasement

  6. Patrick


    Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,656 threads
    6,331 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

    6   5:46pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

    That's an interesting link, but weight of silver remains weight of silver.

    Clipping or "sweating" would just reduce the weight.

    All you have to do is weigh the coin, calculate the density, and maybe electricatl conductivity and sound (yes, the "ping" of a coin" has a certain ability to predict its metal content).

    Pure silver coins would be hard to fake. They would be a great boon for makers of scales, densitomiters, and other such devices though.

  7. Bellingham Bill


    Follow
    Befriend
    72 threads
    3,101 comments
    Bellingham, WA

    7   5:53pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

    Yeah, the british currency is named the "Pound" for historical reasons, LOL.

    "Peso", same thing.

    As a renter in the time of QE3, I am not completely opposed to this honest-money idea, sigh.

    We leveraged-up 1995-2005, and now must pay the piper somehow.

    Or not.

Premium member The Professor is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 80 milliseconds to create.