Time for McJobs to pay a fair wage

By tovarichpeter   Follow   Thu, 29 Nov 2012, 5:59pm   636 views   12 comments
In South San Francisco CA 94080   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/11/mcjobs-should-pay-too-inside-fast-food-workers-historic-protest-for-living-wages/265714/

Sent from my iPad

Viewing Comments 1-12 of 12     Last »     See most liked comments

1. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,872 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

1   10:29pm Thu 29 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Didn't they just have an article on yahoo about the homes of fast food moguls? Huge ass homes built on the labor of poor, uneducated workers.

2. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,003 threads
    12,484 comments

2   7:02am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

"I don't think we can afford to write off fast food anymore as simply a sector that offers transitional jobs for teenagers," said Annette Bernhardt, policy co-director at NELP. "Increasingly working families are depending on this industry, and unless we confront the serious problem of low wages in the fast food industry, we're not going to solve the job quality problem for the labor market as a whole."

Perhaps if the only sold more salad. Do you think it could be a high paying tech job then? You Libs really are a conflicted lot.
    This article would be like the anti smokers lobby crowd, harping in on the plight of the Tobacco pickers Union members. It's kind of hard to have an industry when the only people smoking are 12 year olds that don't know any better.

3. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    861 threads
    7,317 comments
    Baltimore, MD

3   7:33am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

This will only force fast food employers to only have part time employees.

You can't legislate prosperity.

4. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    546 threads
    3,200 comments

4   7:47am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

zzyzzx says

You can't legislate prosperity

Sad but true. Poverty will always exist. As long as people have a fair channce to get out of their circumstance-fair in the sense that they have opportunity . Not mandates and rules.

Instead of looking at the reason working families have to rely on fast food jobs and fixing that, they want to raise the wages of fast food jobs .

5. mmmarvel

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    4 threads
    1,096 comments
    Missouri City, TX

5   8:00am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

elliemae says

Didn't they just have an article on yahoo about the homes of fast food moguls? Huge ass homes built on the labor of poor, uneducated workers.

Oh you mean the folks who put up the money to put together a business or put up the money to buy a franchise? You mean the folks who had as much of a chance of watching their money go away forever as they did as making a fortune off it? You mean those folks?

And you/they want us to pay people who can't/didn't/aren't doing much to gain a skill that will pay more than flipping burgers? And we should pay them more because why? It sure isn't because they are worth it, you can get people with those skills dang near any place.

I've been down, down far enough that after working many years at a very good wage, the company shut down (laying off 1200 people), I ended up with a minimum wage job. I didn't bitch about the wage, I was happy to bring home SOMETHING, and I looked around for a better paying job that I COULD apply my skills and experience to. Yup, it took some time but I'm back where I use to be, but if you're working a minimum wage job, be happy that you have a job at all, and expect to be paid minimum wage. Quit your bitching, if you don't like it, then go find another job.

6. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    431 threads
    12,649 comments

6   8:02am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The edible glop industry will simply to go self-service and robotic models. In a few years, the only 'employees' in a McSlops will be hookers offering to trade hand jobs for a hamburger.

7. mmmarvel

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    4 threads
    1,096 comments
    Missouri City, TX

7   8:08am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

lostand confused says

Sad but true. Poverty will always exist. As long as people have a fair channce to get out of their circumstance-fair in the sense that they have opportunity . Not mandates and rules.

I know a lot of folks bad mouth the Bible, but as Jesus said in the Bible - The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. (Matt 26:11)

Even new lord and saviour of some folks, Barrack Obama, won't be able to change that, no matter how much wealth redistribution he wants to do.

8. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,003 threads
    12,484 comments

8   8:10am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

zzyzzx says

This will only force fast food employers to only have part time employees.

most fast food employees work less than 20 hours a week now as it is.
    There are so many HR laws and regulation that it is just cheaper to treat every employee as a par time employee.

Personally I'd rather have the option to work 50 hours at scale, than to mandate a company to pay time and a half after 35 or 40 hours. Then they in turn just cut hours on all employees to no where near 20 hours to be on the safe side.

But how many hours employees get, will be a non issue for the McTwinkie.

Fast food rival McDonald's has a big presence in China as well. McDonald's reported earlier this month that same-store sales around the globe fell in October, led by a decline in key Asian markets such as China and Japan. Shares of McDonald's were down slightly early Friday.

9. errc

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    50 threads
    2,531 comments
    32 male

9   8:22am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Its a what comes first, the chicken or the egg, argument.

The problem isn't that wages are too low. The problem is that the cost of living (the lifestyle people are told they want, rather than what they need) is too high

Costs of living are derived from wages. Wages don't come from the cost of living. Everyone needs to live, but in the modern day, everyone doesn't need to be working. We should be laboring for a purpose, not just for the sake of working, so that you can deservingly earn a paycheck. And by paycheck, I mean a means to pay your landlord for his rental income.

It is absolutely impossible to find a solution, if you can't first identify the problem.

10. mmmarvel

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    4 threads
    1,096 comments
    Missouri City, TX

10   8:38am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

errc says

The problem isn't that wages are too low. The problem is that the cost of living (the lifestyle people are told they want, rather than what they need) is too high
    Costs of living are derived from wages.

You are correct, if you are working a minimum wage job, do you have a cell phone bill of $50, $75, $100 a month? Do you have cable TV? If so, what is the monthly bill on it? How do you connect with the internet, what is that monthly cost? Do you eat out? How much is your mode of transportation costing you each month? Bottom line, if you're not making enough money then time to trim costs, find a way (besides bitching that they don't pay you enough) to make more money (if you're only working part time, then get a second or third part time job) or find people to help share expenses with.

11. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,665 threads
    6,349 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

11   9:27am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

lostand confused says

Poverty will always exist.

Henry George said no. His point in the book "Progress and Poverty" is that poverty is created by the redistribution of wealth from the poor to wealthy non-productive rent-seekers. It doesn't matter how hard you work if your landlord will just raise your rent and take it all.

If everyone were allowed to keep the fruit of their own labor, then we would truly all be responsible for our own condition. But we are not allowed to keep it. We are forced to pay gigantic taxes to the 0.1% in the form of land rents, and other rents on natural resources which no one created (oil, wireless spectrum, ...).

He didn't just make this shit up either. He was here during the gold rush and saw how a few people who bought land first got to extract the labor of everyone who came afterward. They did not need to do anything but get the title to the land when it was basically free.

His solution was the complete elimination of all taxes except the land value tax. And the land value tax would be completely independent of what you personally do with the land. It would depend only on the value of empty land in that area.

12. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,003 threads
    12,484 comments

12   12:02pm Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

errc says

It is absolutely impossible to find a solution, if you can't first identify the problem.

A lot would be solved if Gas wasn't teetering between 3.50 to 4.00 only for the sake of the investors getting rich at it.

That is 80% of the reason for America's high cost of living. The FED keeping interest rates low being the other 20%.

$8 an hour would be good money if we had $1.50 a gallon gas, an average electric bill was $80, and cart of groceries were under $200.

tovarichpeter is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 94 milliseconds to create.