FHA = subprime, 12.4% interest cost of FHA insurance, 50% risk premium

By golfplan18   Follow   Fri, 30 Nov 2012, 7:34am   429 views   7 comments
In Irvine CA 92620   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

http://ochousingnews.com/news/fha-subprime-12-4-interest-cost-of-fha-insurance-50-risk-premium?source=Patrick.net

Many have quipped that FHA has become the replacement for subprime. They have very low standards for qualification (a 580 FICO score), a very low down payment requirement (currently 3.5%), and as a result, they have become the loan-of-necessity for anyone who doesn’t have the credit requirements or the down payment necessary to obtain other financing. In other words, they have stepped into the void left by the collapse of subprime lending. The FHA insurance premium is a direct measure of repayment risk divorced from interest rates. Ordinarily, this risk is rolled up into the interest rate, which is why...

Viewing Comments 1-7 of 7     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Oil Can

Follow
    Befriend
    21 threads
    163 comments
    Oil Can's website

1   7:37am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Ponzi!

2. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    712 threads
    9,848 comments

2   7:46am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

At first I thought that 580 score was wrong. Last I heard it was 620.
    But a quick search confirms it.
    That is insane.
    http://homebuying.about.com/b/2011/02/23/wells-fargo-lowers-fico-score-requirements-for-fha-loans.htm

As noted by the California Association of REALTORS last week, Wells Fargo announced a surprise policy reversal in January regarding FHA loans. While competitive institutional lenders are raising FICO limits to 620 or better, Wells Fargo is lowering those limits to as low as 500. For FICOs between 500 and 579, the down payment requirement is 10%, and the down payment cannot be a gift from a relative. Borrowers with FICO scores of 580 to 619 will need to put down a minimum of 5%.

For home buyers with FICOs above 620, the minimum down payment requirement remains at 3.5% and gift funds can be used. Seller concessions toward closing costs remain at a maximum of 3% of the purchase price.

But it's not just FHA
    This list says the min score for FHA is 530, but I don't know how old it is.
    http://www.fha-world.com/credit-score.html
    Fannie Mae requires a minimum score of 620
    Freddie Mac requires a minimum score of 620
    FHA requires a minimum score of 530
    VA requires a minimum score of 530
    USDA requires a minimum score of 620
    Portfolio requires a minimum score of 640

3. atst1138

Follow
    Befriend
    42 comments

3   7:49am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

FICO is irrelevant in the near term. What matters are the stipulated exclusions. My FICO is 700 18 months post FC but I can't qualify due to the 3 year rule at FHA and 7 year rule at FM/FM.

4. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

4   9:42am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

FHA requires a minimum score of 530
    VA requires a minimum score of 530

Unbelievable.

When I got out of college, got my first analyst job, and moved into my first apartment I needed to get a car. They ran my credit at the used car lot, and it was 540.

I only had an apartment lease, two utility bills, one credit card, a bank account (with about $2,700 from college tutoring jobs), and about $15,000 worth of school debt to my name.

How the heck do people with a FICO score like that get a loan to buy a house?!

5. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

5   11:40am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

They pay a lot more than people with good credit. Same as any credit situation. A point more in interest, a point for insurance.

6. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

6   11:52am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Does it matter? FHA is negative $13,000,000,000 in the hole.

7. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (49)
    363 threads
    18,794 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

7   12:02pm Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Assuming the housing crash is over and we're entering a period of slow (or fast) appreciation, the risk is nearly zero.

These people are going to pay rent regardless so it's an attempt to tap into those payments for the benefit of the housing market.

golfplan18 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 81 milliseconds to create.