How Rising House Prices May Actually Stall the Recovery

By bgamall4   Follow   Fri, 30 Nov 2012, 10:28am   608 views   8 comments
In Las Vegas NV 89117   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/rising-home-prices-may-actually-173023075.html I have been talking about this. Finally, even CNBC is concerned about this issue. Hedge funds ruining everything!

Viewing Comments 1-8 of 8     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

1   10:33am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Investors cannot sustain a recovery because they are basically shock troops. They go in, do their speculating, and then take their returns. Very few investors are in it for the long term (5+ years).

Housing will return to normalcy (as much as it can in this environment) when owner occupy buyers come back to the market. In Las Vegas, that was only 14% of buyers in October (compare that to 52% investor purchases).

I never thought I'd see the day when people who actually intend to live in the home become the minority in the housing market.

2. wave9x

Follow
    Befriend
    12 threads
    158 comments

2   10:34am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I have seen this mentioned here and there, that investors are driving housing prices up. Are there any actual facts or figures backing this up or is it just speculation? I have anecdotal evidence it is true in my area but that's it.

3. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

3   10:41am Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

wave9x says

Are there any actual facts or figures backing this up or is it just speculation

I definitely think it's just speculation.

4. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    375 threads
    19,953 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

4   12:00pm Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Nawww...no chance.

Rising house prices will help the building industries, the lenders will have a party, and home "owners" will jump back into HELOCs and go shopping.

Obviously it's not sustainable but will certainly fuel years worth of excess if not a full decade.

We've transitioned into a boom-bust economic pattern that is far more similar to the 19th century than anything since World War II.

5. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

5   1:30pm Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

Nawww...no chance.

Rising house prices will help the building industries, the lenders will have a party, and home "owners" will jump back into HELOCs and go shopping.

Obviously it's not sustainable but will certainly fuel years worth of excess if not a full decade.

We've transitioned into a boom-bust economic pattern that is far more similar to the 19th century than anything since World War II.

Agreed.

Too many people are either unaware of this or just don't think that it is something that they need to care about, and the private entities that basically control the government delight in it because it is a very effective wealth transfer mechanism for them. I guess it will take a few more cycles for things to get bad enough for people to get tired of it and demand/force change. Hopefully they will be able to when that point comes.

6. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

6   2:21pm Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Yeah, it's great for some people. Sucks for the rest of us suckers that just want to work a job and live their lives in peace.

7. REpro

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    26 threads
    609 comments
    San Jose, CA

7   3:30pm Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Mentality of Institutional Investors is to make money as fast as possible, and a lot of them. They don’t like to keep capital in fixed asset too long. Fast turn over brings the highest return. Soon they will realize that single family investments do not produce better return on money then stock market. Yet, sells is not just a click on the button.

8. bgamall4

Follow
    Befriend (11)
    1,213 threads
    7,341 comments
    64 male
    Las Vegas, NV
    bgamall4's website
    Premium

8   8:31pm Fri 30 Nov 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

wave9x says

I have seen this mentioned here and there, that investors are driving housing prices up. Are there any actual facts or figures backing this up or is it just speculation? I have anecdotal evidence it is true in my area but that's it.

Yes, 50 percent of August sales were cash only in Las Vegas and 45 percent of the sales were cash only in Phoenix. And I wrote this article about it:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-1-percent-is-buying-up-all-the-real-estate-beware-of-tom-lee-of-jpm-2012-5

Premium member bgamall4 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 47 milliseconds to create.