Happy Hanukkah

By Patrick   Follow   Sat, 8 Dec 2012, 5:33pm   522 views   5 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Tonight is the first night of Hanukkah, where the mainstream blather is that it is about a miracle with oil lamps in the temple in Jerusalem and the tone is disturbingly like Christmas.

The reality is that Hanukkah is about the wholesale slaughter of assimilated Jews, who were becoming essentially Greek at the time, which really pissed off the devout traditionalist Jews:

http://punktorah.org/judaism-2/dvar-torah/slaughtered-an-assimilated-jew-lately-a-dvar-torah-for-hanukkah

Gxd how I love being politically incorrect, and yet factually correct!

Viewing Comments 1-5 of 5     Last »     See most liked comments

1. bdrasin

Follow
    Befriend
    7 threads
    561 comments
    Alameda, CA

1   8:25pm Sat 8 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Har, yes I'm afraid the 2nd century BCE was a pretty rough time compared to today. Of course in the long run the assimilated Jews won, which is great as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, and my opinion on the miracle itself is that the priest just lied and used regular oil (duh). Still, its a fun holiday for my family and we're having a nice brisket with homemade jelly donuts to celebrate. Happy holidays!

2. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    122 threads
    18,850 comments

2   1:58am Sun 9 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Political correctness is overrated. It forces people to obfuscate their true nature.

It is better to be a kind person than a mean person who looks kind.

3. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    213 threads
    4,615 comments
    Premium

3   10:18am Sun 9 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Patrick says

The reality is that Hanukkah is about the wholesale slaughter of assimilated Jews, who were becoming essentially Greek at the time, which really pissed off the devout traditionalist Jews:

That's exactly right. It's the old anti-assimilationist highland whackos angry about the cosmopolitan valley and city-dwellers becoming Hellenized. A common theme in the Bible.

"Them gosh-darn city folk with their foreign jiggery-pokery, ruinin' the purity of our dear Land and Lord."

And, of course, the Highland Fundamentalists being pushed out of the Temple Leadership positions. The Macabees wanted their old Graft Position back so they could change dirty foreign gold and silver for Temple Shekels (purity and weight varying according to how much they could get away wth).

Also, Hanukkah is NOT an important Jewish Holiday, traditionally. Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur and Passover are the big Three.

Hanukkah's modern importance has more to do with the proximity to Christmas than anything else.

4. bdrasin

Follow
    Befriend
    7 threads
    561 comments
    Alameda, CA

4   10:56am Sun 9 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

thunderlips11 says

Also, Hanukkah is NOT an important Jewish Holiday, traditionally. Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur and Passover are the big Three.

Don't forget Sukkot!

You are of course right about the relationship between Hannukah and Christmas on the calendar

5. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    213 threads
    4,615 comments
    Premium

5   2:22pm Sun 9 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

bdrasin says

Don't forget Sukkot!

My favorite holiday. The closest this big city kid got to the great outdoors, when the temple put buildings out in the park and we had a picnic out there. I remember listening to the 1986 Dream Team Mets at the playoffs out in the building.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 38 milliseconds to create.