New Year's resolutions have a familiar ring

By tvgnus   Follow   Tue, 11 Dec 2012, 4:38am   496 views   6 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.centralvalleybusinesstimes.com/stories/001/?ID=22464

Losing weight is one of the top New Years Resolution among Americans again, according to an annual survey paid for by FC Organizational Products LLC, the consumer products licensee of the Franklin Covey Co. brand.

Viewing Comments 1-6 of 6     Last »     See most liked comments

1. EastCoastBubbleBoy

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    111 threads
    511 comments

1   8:14pm Wed 12 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Last year I resolved to gain five pounds. Might as well make a resolution I can keep. I'm proud (or shall is say ashamed) to say I not only met my goal, but exceed my expectations.

2. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    75 threads
    3,160 comments
    Bellingham, WA

2   9:49pm Wed 12 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I spent the whole year losing weight, the first time I've committed to such a long-term program.

I started in June 2011 at 233 and today I'm at 176, which is around 65 lbs lower than my all-time peak (~240 which I carried around for most of 2010).

For the year thus far I've averaged 0.5 lbs/week loss, which is 250 kcal/day of caloric shortfall, about two miles' worth of walking.

My end goal isn't a weight per se but fitting in my old college 501s. Still an inch or two away, LOL, so I'm back to my 1997 weight which is when I first "outgrew" these pants. Good thing I kept them, I've got so little left from the 1990s. . .

I got fat 2000-2002 living the good life back in America. My first car, eating 4 meals a day, etc. I went from 230 to 180 in 2004, doing the same eating & exercise plan I'm doing now.

Basically I eat whatever I want but I limit portion size drastically. Drink a lot of water and exercise when I feel like it. 1 oz of smoked almonds and a slice of cheese is my secret weapon to snack to keep my energy up and blood sugar controlled in the afternoon.

Walking got boring so after the belly disappeared I started jogging again. I can jog about a mile now without too much problem, working on getting that back up, too.

Looking at my loss record, I see I've had 13 up-weeks so far this year. Gaining weight isn't a crime, but if you gain one week you should work on losing it the next, and the next, until you do.

That's what I failed at 2005-2006, maintaining. 180, 200, 220, 240 all feel the same to me physically, so it's easy for me to put off the discipline of eating better and staying in shape.

3. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    466 threads
    7,773 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

3   8:57am Sun 23 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)   Protected  

I like the resolution of gaining weight. If I meet my goal, I win. But if I don't, I win anyway.

4. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,549 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

4   9:23am Sun 23 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Bellingham Bill says

I started in June 2011 at 233 and today I'm at 176, which is around 65 lbs lower than my all-time peak (~240 which I carried around for most of 2010).

Wow. That is impressive. Congrats on the discipline over the year.

5. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    803 threads
    6,880 comments
    Baltimore, MD

5   9:15am Wed 2 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

6. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    803 threads
    6,880 comments
    Baltimore, MD

6   9:16am Wed 2 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

#

tvgnus is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 157 milliseconds to create.