Mayan end-of-world prophecies 'all in the head'

By tvgnus   Follow   Wed, 12 Dec 2012, 9:20pm   692 views   10 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.centralvalleybusinesstimes.com/stories/001/?ID=22480

Belief in doomsday ideas not just for crackpots •  We started wondering about the psychology of these beliefs End-of-the-world prophecies have a lot more to do with human minds than with the fate of humanity, says Matthew Sharps, a psychology professor at Fresno State.

Viewing Comments 1-10 of 10     Last »     See most liked comments

1. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    825 threads
    7,061 comments
    Baltimore, MD

1   11:29am Fri 14 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (2)  

That Mayan end of the world prediction is stupid. They ran out of room on the rock they were carving on and for some reason people think the world is coming to an end??

2. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    511 threads
    3,086 comments

2   12:06pm Fri 14 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I know of someone who sold all his belongings and moved to a South American nation, because he believed the world was coming to an end. I never could understand why-I mean if the world is coming to an end, what difference does it make where you are?? But then he was a heavy set middle aged man who married a pretty, young thing over there and had kids too-I didn't understand that either-oh well.

3. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    825 threads
    7,061 comments
    Baltimore, MD

3   4:04pm Mon 17 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (2)  

4. upisdown

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    1,618 comments

4   4:28pm Mon 17 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

A Roman Catholic church in Italy will guarentee absolution of all your sins for less than $20, online.

That takes thieves preying upon suckers to a whole new level.

5. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    6,490 comments
    San Jose, CA

5   10:30pm Tue 18 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

upisdown says

A Roman Catholic church in Italy will guarentee absolution of all your sins for less than $20, online.

That takes thieves preying upon suckers to a whole new level.

Link please, I've been a bad duckie!

6. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    125 threads
    19,261 comments
    Premium

6   11:32pm Tue 18 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Is there end-of-the-world insurance?

Like something that pays one trillion dollars in the event of a complete extinction of human kind for the low, low premium of one million dollars?

Tagline:

For less than the price of a shit-box in Palo Alto you can be the richest person in the world if it does end.

That would be hilarious.

LOL!

(Not actually an insurance product.)

7. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,049 threads
    13,135 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

7   7:53am Wed 19 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The religious often accuse me of being closed minded. So, I’m going to run a little experiment. According to the Mayan religious prediction, the world will end this Friday. From right now to Friday, I will be praying to Satan. Now, I admit that I don’t believe Satan actually exists, but I will pray fervently to the dark lord to prevent the end of the world.

If indeed the world does not end on Friday, then we can cheerfully conclude that Satan has saved us and we should all worship and praise him. And I will gladly admit that I was wrong about the whole supernatural thing being bullshit once I see all the Christians in America converting to Satanism.

8. HeadSet

Follow
    Befriend
    4 threads
    1,488 comments
    Williamsburg, VA

8   10:02am Wed 19 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

I will be praying to Satan

Praying? That sounds like a verbal, unilateral agreement. Totally unenforceable.

A deal with Mr Scratch requires a contract signed with blood.

9. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,049 threads
    13,135 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

9   12:51pm Wed 19 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

HeadSet says

Dan8267 says

I will be praying to Satan

Praying? That sounds like a verbal, unilateral agreement. Totally unenforceable.

A deal with Mr Scratch requires a contract signed with blood.

Well, if the world doesn't end on Friday, we'll know it doesn't. So, in that case, all hail Satan.

10. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    6,490 comments
    San Jose, CA

10   7:44am Thu 20 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Peter P says

Is there end-of-the-world insurance?

Like something that pays one trillion dollars in the event of a complete extinction of human kind for the low, low premium of one million dollars?

Tagline:

For less than the price of a shit-box in Palo Alto you can be the richest person in the world if it does end.

That would be hilarious.

LOL!

(Not actually an insurance product.)

Heck if anyone can get me the cash TODAY I'll offer this policy. Mind you the payout will be in yams and each yam will have a street value of ten billion dollars.

tvgnus is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 83 milliseconds to create.