The Markets are not Sending Useful Price Signals Folks, This Ain't Normal

By bgamall4   Follow   Sat, 15 Dec 2012, 10:17am   438 views   5 comments
In Las Vegas NV 89117   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

http://www.businessinsider.com/qe-4-folks-this-aint-normal-2012-12

Okay, the Fed's recent decision to boost its monetary stimulus (a.k.a. "money printing," "quantitative easing," or simply "QE") by another $45 billion a month to a combined $85 billion per month demonstrates an almost complete departure from what a normal person might consider sensible. To borrow a phrase from Joel Salatin: Folks, this ain't normal.  To this I will add ...and it will end badly. If you had stopped me on the street a few years ago and asked me what I thought would have happened in the stock, bond, foreign currency, and commodity markets on the day the Fed...

Viewing Comments 1-5 of 5     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    126 threads
    19,332 comments
    Premium

1   3:43pm Sat 15 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Because the market fully expected the action?

2. mell

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    284 threads
    3,661 comments
    San Francisco, CA

2   3:54pm Sat 15 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

That's right, because people keep posting and pretending we have no budget problems. The US has become so addicted to credit that even the markets don't believe that there will be any meaningful course correction and the fed will keep printing until infinity. Dow to 20K! Until the next crisis..

3. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    126 threads
    19,332 comments
    Premium

3   4:14pm Sat 15 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The thing is, with so much debt, the only way out may be even more debt, until it hits the breaking point, then it is a game of being the last man standing.

Nassim Taleb is right saying that debt is a great source of fragility.

4. bgamall4

Follow
    Befriend (11)
    1,239 threads
    7,691 comments
    64 male
    Las Vegas, NV
    bgamall4's website
    Premium

4   5:29pm Sat 15 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Peter P says

Because the market fully expected the action?

At the end of the housing bubble, no one really could determine the real price of a house. There is a mini bubble now, with cash and FHA buyers pushing prices up. No one can tell if those prices are justified, and they probably are not. I believe this mini bubble is unsustainable. Everything is manipulated, stocks, bonds, etc. So no one knows what stuff is worth.

5. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    126 threads
    19,332 comments
    Premium

5   5:34pm Sat 15 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

You are right. We are still in the midst of a boom-bust debt cycle.

Worth can only be determined instantaneously for certain things (stocks, bonds, homes, etc).

Premium member bgamall4 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 41 milliseconds to create.