Real estate negotiation techniques

By golfplan18   Follow   Mon, 24 Dec 2012, 12:40pm   563 views   6 comments
In Irvine CA 92620   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

http://ochousingnews.com/news/real-estate-negotiation-techniques-redux?source=Patrick.net

Negotiating the sale of residential real estate is no more difficult that negotiating for any other product of service that does not have a fixed price; however, due to the colossal cost of houses, the process is more important financially than negotiating for other big-ticket items like automobiles. A mistake made while buying or selling a house could cost as much as a new car; sometimes such mistakes could pay for many cars. Skilled negotiators can obtain favorable pricing and terms without the assistance of a broker, but the novice who is inexperienced at this process often will not. Novice...

Viewing Comments 1-6 of 6     Last »     See most liked comments

1. swebb

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    31 threads
    668 comments
    Denver, CO

1   9:27pm Mon 24 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

That was more about an analysis of the process than techniques. I thought it was interesting, but I balked at this line:

"Once a buyer is in love with a property, they will raise their bids until they either have the property or they reach the limit of their resources"

That may be true of a lot of buyers, but it's ridiculous as a general statement. For one, part of being in love with a property (for me, anyway) is the price. If the price gets too high, I'm not in love with it anymore. And the bit about reaching the limit of their resources -- this suggests people have no self control and the only thing that is slowing them down is their finances & lending requirements. Again, maybe true for a lot of buyers, but it's silly if you consider a situation where a buyer could qualify for a $600k loan but is buying a $350k house. If the seller is determined o get $450k for the house, it's exceedingly unlikely that the buyer will pay that amount--even if they are in love with it and can afford it.

2. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    6,504 comments
    San Jose, CA

2   11:31pm Mon 24 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

swebb says

That may be true of a lot of buyers, but it's ridiculous as a general statement. For one, part of being in love with a property (for me, anyway) is the price. If the price gets too high, I'm not in love with it anymore. And the bit about reaching the limit of their resources -- this suggests people have no self control and the only thing that is slowing them down is their finances & lending requirements. Again, maybe true for a lot of buyers, but it's silly if you consider a situation where a buyer could qualify for a $600k loan but is buying a $350k house. If the seller is determined o get $450k for the house, it's exceedingly unlikely that the buyer will pay that amount--even if they are in love with it and can afford it.

Ideally you will have a spouse or other interested party to provide a reality check, preferably in the form of a swift kick to the groin.

3. taxee

Follow
    Befriend
    88 threads
    466 comments
    El Cerrito, CA

3   8:27pm Tue 25 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

You have a thought disorder and you're doing it all wrong. You're supposed to buy with stolen money so you can keep the price high.

4. HEY YOU

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    868 threads
    2,193 comments

4   1:08am Thu 27 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Make one offer. If not accepted, walk away.

5. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

5   1:36am Thu 27 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

swebb says

The bank won't approve the loan for more than the house appraises for anyway, so this doesn't happen.

HEY YOU says

Make one offer. If not accepted, walk away.

That's an awesome way to either overpay for something (because you failed to use anchoring effectively in negotiations), or to never buy anything.

6. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    408 threads
    11,790 comments

6   1:55am Thu 27 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

As a general principle, one should refuse to make an offer on any property represented by a RealtorĀ®. Surrendering to a criminal monopoly by participating in their scam is an act of collaboration.

golfplan18 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 39 milliseconds to create.