Anyone take the Windows 8 bait over Christmas?

By jvolstad   Follow   Wed, 26 Dec 2012, 9:35pm   438 views   4 comments
In San Antonio TX 78254   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I'd played around with a couple of Win8 laptops at the local (Palo Alto) Microsoft store. Interesting but as long as my four year old laptop is still running, I'll keep using it. Besides, I'd rather wait for the Haswell chips coming out this Spring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)

Viewing Comments 1-4 of 4     Last »     See most liked comments

1. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    368 threads
    10,148 comments

1   9:38pm Wed 26 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

By all accounts, it's a broken piece of shit.

2. mmmarvel

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    3 threads
    886 comments
    Missouri City, TX

2   7:03am Thu 27 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Can't say I took the plunge, but I was tempted. However, everything that I've heard says it is one big, smelly mess. I remember Microsoft Millenium, I'd rather not go down that nasty road again. I'll wait.

3. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    780 threads
    10,496 comments

3   8:32am Thu 27 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I was tempted to buy my daughters a Win8 laptop, but something told me, that those 299-399 lap top/case/accessory bundles at Best Buy were antiquated POS that were selling so cheap, because they are way off spec for the clunky not ready for primetime OS they were running.
    I'm waiting for at least the SP1 to come out, and more data on the stability.

How ever, the week end they came out all of the display models were in Metro mode at Best Buy. But this week end when I went back, most were in Aero mode. I suspect the next revision the Metro will be the option and not the default. At least on PCs that aren't touch screen.

4. Quigley

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    48 threads
    1,725 comments
    Huntington Beach, CA

4   8:42am Thu 27 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I'll second AF and the others; as an owner of a brand new win 8 laptop, I am constantly confronted by limited functionality of the OS. Many web pages just refuse to load or crash the browser. I downloaded google chrome as a work around buy even that won't work for many pages. The interface is clunky and not at all intuitive, it took me weeks to even find the way to turn off the laptop with software controls rather than shutting it or pressing the power button. It was hard to figure out which programs were running, and every time I open a video or sound file it launches some broken app which spins a counter for three minutes before telling me that it can't open that file.
    Almost none of my previous software will work, except that manufactured my Microsoft like Office. I couldn't even set it up to work with my wi fi printer because it wouldn't accept the drivers. I had to get new windows 8 drivers from the HP website to even make this work at all. When I got the machine it was basically unusable until I did some major modifications.
    Still, it feels like I'm running a promo machine for windows apps, of which I hear are limited and also mostly broken.

In summary, it blows monkey balls. Avoid.

jvolstad is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 39 milliseconds to create.