« previous   misc   next »

N.Y. newspaper posts gun permit map

By zzyzzx   Follow   Thu, 27 Dec 2012, 8:15am PST   777 views   16 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ny-newspaper-posts-gun-permit-map-starts-nasty-online-battle/2012/12/26/747ae7d6-4fb0-11e2-950a-7863a013264b_story.html

The Journal News of White Plains, N.Y., on Saturday posted an interactive map with the names and addresses of handgun permit owners in New York’s Westchester and Rockland counties.

Comments 1-16 of 16     Last »

zzyzzx   Thu, 27 Dec 2012, 8:16am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 1

This was an incredibly stupid thing to do. It's either a map for thieves for guns to steal, or a map for thieves for unarmed houses, take your pick!

Patrick   Thu, 27 Dec 2012, 8:22am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 2

I agree that there's more of a deterrence effect for everyone if thieves are afraid the occupants of any house might be armed.

Call it Crazy   Thu, 27 Dec 2012, 10:42am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)     Comment 3

zzyzzx says

This was an incredibly stupid thing to do. It's either a map for thieves for guns to steal, or a map for thieves for unarmed houses, take your pick!

I wonder how many of the gun owners are liberals..... after all, it is NY....

woppa   Thu, 27 Dec 2012, 12:18pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 4

Once I move out of NYC, you can count me in on the list of liberal gun owners.

Call it Crazy   Thu, 27 Dec 2012, 12:21pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)     Comment 5

woppa says

Once I move out of NYC, you can count me in on the list of liberal gun owners.

Don't move to NJ, it's just as bad!!!

New Renter   Thu, 27 Dec 2012, 12:25pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 6

I've tripwired my yard with claymores. Downside is the girl scouts don't come by selling cookies anymore.

HEY YOU   Thu, 27 Dec 2012, 12:28pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 7

Is the gun owners info available to the public in NY?

zzyzzx   Thu, 27 Dec 2012, 1:07pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 8

Call it Crazy says

Don't move to NJ, it's just as bad!!!

Obligatory:

Call it Crazy   Thu, 27 Dec 2012, 11:33pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)     Comment 9

HEY YOU says

Yes, it was posted on a main newspaper site in the cities around NYC on a searchable google map.

StillLooking   Fri, 28 Dec 2012, 12:00am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 10

Patrick says

I agree that there's more of a deterrence effect for everyone if thieves are afraid the occupants of any house might be armed.

This is just plain not true. The house with the guns is the much more tempting target. Having guns makes one's life more risky.

Call it Crazy   Fri, 28 Dec 2012, 12:03am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)     Comment 11

StillLooking says

Having guns makes one's life more risky.

For who?? The owner or the potential thief?

lostand confused   Fri, 28 Dec 2012, 12:09am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 12

Great-both sides are nuts. First it was the extreme rights posting abortion providers names and addresses. Now the extreme left posts gun owners addresses.

But yes, as others have noted, thieves can now find which houses are not armed and go after them, instead of picking houses at random.

Call it Crazy   Fri, 28 Dec 2012, 12:17am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)     Comment 13

lostand confused says

But yes, as others have noted, thieves can now find which houses are not armed and go after them, instead of picking houses at random.

I can smell the lawsuits already. When the police catch a guy accused of a violent crime, and the guy said he picked the house based on that map, the lawyers will be lining up by the busload...

121212   Sat, 5 Jan 2013, 4:10am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 14

and yet the 1st Amendment is more important than the 2nd.

Lam   Sat, 5 Jan 2013, 6:46am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 15

For the original picture, the sign in the garden of the house pointed to by the arrow could say

"I'm a fireman, I won't be putting out house fires for gun-owning nut jobs. I got the message"

HEY YOU   Sat, 5 Jan 2013, 8:31am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 16

Call it Crazy says

HEY YOU says

Yes, it was posted on a main newspaper site in the cities around NYC on a searchable google map.

This was just another one of my sarcastic questions. If people don't like what's in the public domain,they can change the law,move to another state or STFU. I would like to see the fight over attempts to change the law.

zzyzzx is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email

home   top   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net