N.Y. newspaper posts gun permit map

By zzyzzx   Follow   Thu, 27 Dec 2012, 4:15pm   718 views   16 comments
In Baltimore MD 21230   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ny-newspaper-posts-gun-permit-map-starts-nasty-online-battle/2012/12/26/747ae7d6-4fb0-11e2-950a-7863a013264b_story.html

The Journal News of White Plains, N.Y., on Saturday posted an interactive map with the names and addresses of handgun permit owners in New York’s Westchester and Rockland counties.

Viewing Comments 1-16 of 16     Last »     See most liked comments

1. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    803 threads
    6,892 comments
    Baltimore, MD

1   4:16pm Thu 27 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

This was an incredibly stupid thing to do. It's either a map for thieves for guns to steal, or a map for thieves for unarmed houses, take your pick!

2. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,659 threads
    6,342 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

2   4:22pm Thu 27 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike   Protected  

I agree that there's more of a deterrence effect for everyone if thieves are afraid the occupants of any house might be armed.

3. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    820 threads
    10,142 comments

3   6:42pm Thu 27 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

zzyzzx says

This was an incredibly stupid thing to do. It's either a map for thieves for guns to steal, or a map for thieves for unarmed houses, take your pick!

I wonder how many of the gun owners are liberals..... after all, it is NY....

4. woppa

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    4 threads
    196 comments
    Bronx, NY

4   8:18pm Thu 27 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Once I move out of NYC, you can count me in on the list of liberal gun owners.

5. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    820 threads
    10,142 comments

5   8:21pm Thu 27 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

woppa says

Once I move out of NYC, you can count me in on the list of liberal gun owners.

Don't move to NJ, it's just as bad!!!

6. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    6,287 comments
    San Jose, CA

6   8:25pm Thu 27 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I've tripwired my yard with claymores. Downside is the girl scouts don't come by selling cookies anymore.

7. HEY YOU

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    866 threads
    2,166 comments

7   8:28pm Thu 27 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Is the gun owners info available to the public in NY?

8. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    803 threads
    6,892 comments
    Baltimore, MD

8   9:07pm Thu 27 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Call it Crazy says

Don't move to NJ, it's just as bad!!!

Obligatory:

9. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    820 threads
    10,142 comments

9   7:33am Fri 28 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

HEY YOU says

Yes, it was posted on a main newspaper site in the cities around NYC on a searchable google map.

10. StillLooking

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    382 comments
    Skokie, IL

10   8:00am Fri 28 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Patrick says

I agree that there's more of a deterrence effect for everyone if thieves are afraid the occupants of any house might be armed.

This is just plain not true. The house with the guns is the much more tempting target. Having guns makes one's life more risky.

11. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    820 threads
    10,142 comments

11   8:03am Fri 28 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

StillLooking says

Having guns makes one's life more risky.

For who?? The owner or the potential thief?

12. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    480 threads
    3,008 comments

12   8:09am Fri 28 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Great-both sides are nuts. First it was the extreme rights posting abortion providers names and addresses. Now the extreme left posts gun owners addresses.

But yes, as others have noted, thieves can now find which houses are not armed and go after them, instead of picking houses at random.

13. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    820 threads
    10,142 comments

13   8:17am Fri 28 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

lostand confused says

But yes, as others have noted, thieves can now find which houses are not armed and go after them, instead of picking houses at random.

I can smell the lawsuits already. When the police catch a guy accused of a violent crime, and the guy said he picked the house based on that map, the lawyers will be lining up by the busload...

14. 121212

Follow
    Befriend
    83 threads
    687 comments
    male

14   12:10pm Sat 5 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

and yet the 1st Amendment is more important than the 2nd.

15. Lam

Follow
    Befriend
    82 comments

15   2:46pm Sat 5 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

For the original picture, the sign in the garden of the house pointed to by the arrow could say

"I'm a fireman, I won't be putting out house fires for gun-owning nut jobs. I got the message"

16. HEY YOU

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    866 threads
    2,166 comments

16   4:31pm Sat 5 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Call it Crazy says

HEY YOU says

Yes, it was posted on a main newspaper site in the cities around NYC on a searchable google map.

This was just another one of my sarcastic questions. If people don't like what's in the public domain,they can change the law,move to another state or STFU. I would like to see the fight over attempts to change the law.

zzyzzx is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 438 milliseconds to create.