Kids are horrible investments

By Peter P   Follow   Sat, 29 Dec 2012, 6:07pm   4,904 views   102 comments
Watch (2)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (6)   Dislike (1)  

Kids cost a fortune to raise. Besides, they make you less adaptable to changes. They also increase your risk exposure in the unlikely event of a divorce. Kids are harmful to the environment because overpopulation creates all kinds of ills.

Is there even any tangible upside in having children?

* If you care about genetics, we are all 99.9% identical anyway.
* If you want followers, starting a religion is more practical.
* If you want a small and cute companion, get a pet.
* If you want to keep your surname alive, write a fucking novel. (Or better yet, start an immortal corporation.)

Most Liked Comments

Sort by time instead  
  1. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    392 threads
    20,761 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

1   8:05am Wed 2 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (5)   Dislike (1)  

Dan8267 says

Consent to donate sperm is not the same as consent to finance the upbringing of the kid. The idiots suing him should be made to pay 10 times the asked for "child support" to the man.

Shit like this ultimately harms future users of sperm banks as successful men are much less likely to donate. So instead of getting this guy's sperm,

This is an example of the laws in America being anti-men and extremely destructive.

A woman can get an abortion, give the child up for adoption, or even abandon a child at a fire or police station by simply refusing to acknowledge who the father is.

Men have no rights whatsoever.

2. Blurtman

Follow
    Befriend
    351 threads
    1,994 comments

2   9:34pm Sat 29 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Everyone posting here was someone's bad investment.

3. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,061 threads
    13,595 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

3   10:50am Mon 31 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Raw says

You guys have a malfunctioning genetic code. There is only one way natural selection deals with a malfunction......recycle bin.

Just remember, countless species have been driven to extinction due to overpopulation and resource depletion. Natural selection is a very fickle tool.

4. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,061 threads
    13,595 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

4   11:04am Mon 31 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Consent to donate sperm is not the same as consent to finance the upbringing of the kid. The idiots suing him should be made to pay 10 times the asked for "child support" to the man.

Shit like this ultimately harms future users of sperm banks as successful men are much less likely to donate. So instead of getting this guy's sperm,

you get this guy's sperm,

The greedy assholes behind the lawsuit are simply ruining the system they benefited from for all future lesbians. What a bunch of scumbag hypocrites!

Furthermore, men will start insisting on completely and absolute anonymity for their donations which means the child will never know its medical history or be able to connect to his or her biological relatives when he reaches adulthood. Yet another reason to throw out this suit with severe prejudice.

5. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    998 threads
    12,403 comments

5   11:12am Mon 31 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (1)  

Dan8267 says

The idiots suing him should be made to pay 10 times the asked for "child support" to the man.

Those Idiots you speak of, are the State of Kansas. I know it's FOX and all, but you should still read it.

The Lezbo couple have since broke up, and the dude of the couple was left with the kids, and she is now ill and unable to work since March of this year. They also adopted 6 Kids, that's 6 freaking kids, as some social experiement while her and her Mangirl set up house and tried to play Man and Wife. One of them grew bored and stuck the other one with all of the crap they created. Just like for realzies. She is now filling for financial aide, and one of the tools States now have to help with welfare of needy Kids, is to go after the Father of the kids, even if the Mother doesn't cooperate. Justice is blind and all of that. Which is WHY it should be VERY important that Liberals think more about the shit they try to ram through in blind legislation. Because you never know when it will bite you in the ass. I can only hope this Clown voted for Obama and has "Legalize gay marriage" T-Shirt.

6. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,061 threads
    13,595 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

6   12:03pm Mon 31 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Moderate Infidel says

True, but if you control who the sperm is going into then you have no excuses later.

Who said this donor is making excuses? He consented to donating his sperm, not to paying for the child's upbringing. To argue that he "must accept the consequences", whatever undisclosed consequences you are implying, is like arguing that a woman who dresses provocatively deserves to get raped. It's a completely bogus argument.

Consent to be a DNA donor is not consent to be a financial donor. The legal financial liability rests solely in the legal guardians who agreed to raise the child at their expense. The "consequences" were spelled out explicitly and precisely in a black-and-white contract.

The state has no right to demand any money from the donor, period. The state is simply trying to use the violence of the state to extort money from someone. This should be illegal.

7. Dr Strangelove

Follow
    Befriend
    4 comments

7   12:22pm Mon 31 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (1)  

I decided to not have kids several years ago and had a vasectomy. I still think it's one of the best decisions of my life.

A couple of months ago I came across my ex wife at the grocery store. We divorced 20+ years ago, part of it due to my reluctance to have kids right away (I was still "on the fence" at that time).

After the divorce, I chose to put the lion's share of my time, energy and dollars into getting my college education culminating in my Master's (I'm not waving my own flag here, its just that I don't know if I would have pulled-off my GPA let alone do it at all had I opted for children). Promply after graduation I secured a Professional career, which I'm still happily engaged in.

One of the things that struck me in my years at college were the plethora of harried-looking single Mothers trying to balance single life, kids and college. I tutored many of them and got the inside scoop on the soul-sucking lifestyle most of them led-which really opened my eyes.

So I see my wife at the grocery store a couple months back, and she looked about 10 years beyond her age. A lot of pain in her eyes and utterly exhausted looking. She then confided in me that her two Daughters were hopelessly addicted to drugs, one in rehab, the other they were trying to track down to force into rehab. During the conversation, she would remark on how good I looked, which felt nice, but more importantly, bolstered the decision I made years ago; instead of having kids, which I believe is estimated to cost between 150-250K over 18 years (add to that figure for each additional child), I opted the more hedonistic route of economic independence and the freedom it offers.

Some say not having kids is "selfish." I believe people can have kids for "selfish" reasons as well, and am mystified we live in a country where you have to buy a "license" to go catch a fish, but any completely lazy, clueless moron--not fit to raise a hamster let alone a child--can make a baby at will.

I'm not knocking having kids, in fact I believe its probably one of the most rewarding and fulfilling experiences life can offer and am aware that some families are able to live comfortably economically and are able to avoid many of the uncontrollable negatives other families endure from raising kids. Nevertheless, looking at the macro-political-economic environment over the last 30 years, I opted for a different path.

DOC

8. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    126 threads
    19,496 comments
    Premium

8   1:21pm Mon 31 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

We need a child license system.

Or better yet... cap-and-trade birth permit.

9. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    6,664 comments
    San Jose, CA

9   6:18pm Mon 31 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Peter P says

We need to abolish the child support system.

Women need to think twice before allowing themselves to be impregnated.

Actually what we need are:

1) condoms that don't suck (no pun intended).
    2) encourage all men to have vasectomies until they are REALLY, REALLY sure they want kids
    3) release a male birth control pill that works:
    http://theweek.com/article/index/232186/a-male-birth-control-pill-that-doesnt-kill-sex-drive
    4) public service announcements showing men losing their shirts to child support.

10. Moderate Infidel

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    712 comments

10   6:45pm Mon 31 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

whereas a guy only spends 5 seconds doing his part.

This is where a condom might help! It makes you last longer. Who are you? Charles Bukowski?

11. justme

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    38 threads
    4,186 comments
    San Francisco, CA

11   10:56pm Sat 29 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Peter P says

Because you are also 99.9% the same as [pick any serial killer you don't like].

But so is [pick any famous person you like]. It's a double standard, I tell ya!

12. Ceffer

Follow
    Befriend
    19 threads
    3,834 comments
    Berkeley, CA

12   11:06pm Sat 29 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Children fill you with overweening, swelling narcissistic pride in yourself, as if you have accomplished something, even if you only did what every other mindless rutting animal on earth does. They make you walk around in a sentimental, self centered daze, as everything is justified now because you are a parent, you can become hysterical, exact revenge, attack other people because they don't worship the spawn of your loins etc. etc. They make you highly irrational in a very pleasing, narcotic way, nature's little incentive to keep the rug rats alive.

They can't escape until they are older, automatic captive audience when everybody else has told you to go to hell. If the kids are smart, they will act like they love you.

They give you something to obsess over endlessly so you never get bored, and something to control.

However, it doesn't matter how many kids you have or support, after about five generations out, if your kiddies have kiddies etc. there will be only about 3 percent of you left in any particular individual. You have been essentially erased as an individual by the great waring blender called genetics, sorry, no more you.
    What's left of you in genetic bits and pieces may wind up in some weird ethnically mixed backwater of gene pooling.

Guess what, nature fooled you again to do something for it making you think you are doing something for you!

13. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    126 threads
    19,496 comments
    Premium

13   1:29pm Mon 31 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

We need to abolish the child support system.

Women need to think twice before allowing themselves to be impregnated.

14. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    6,664 comments
    San Jose, CA

14   7:13pm Sat 29 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Peter P says

If you want followers, starting a religion is more practical.

And profitable!

It also provides a ready supply of attractive susceptible young people ready to believe anything you say.

Tax free as well.

What's not to love?

15. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    126 threads
    19,496 comments
    Premium

15   7:29pm Sat 29 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

errc says

You shouldn't allow USDs to control every aspect of your life,,,you'll likely end up disappointed

Not just USD. Time too. Money is a renewable resource. Time is not.

errc says

You were someones child at one time, do you regret being born?

You asked the wrong person.

16. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,867 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

16   8:24pm Sat 29 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Children saved me money from the pure entertainment value. They make you laugh your ass off with their antics.

They also keep you from going out and spending all of your money at a bar, restaurant, mall, etc. (Admittedly, they do cost a bit in the toy department).

Having children is no guarantee that you'll have someone to care for you in your old age. And there is no guarantee that they will be "good" or "productive. They might not live up to your expectations...

They're awesome little creatures who grow up into awesome big creatures, and they can make your life better in so many ways.

If you view them from the investment angle, they're not worth it. But if you view life from the investment angle, nothing is worth it. Going out is wasteful, taking vacations is wasteful, clothing, nice homes, nice cars, friendships, etc... all wasteful.

17. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    126 threads
    19,496 comments
    Premium

17   10:18pm Sat 29 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Raw says

Sorry, I have kids to feed. I invest in them to ensure their survival so that that can pass on my genes. If you really think kids are not worth investing in, your traits are will soon be extinct.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2008/06/28/having-kids-makes-you-happy.html

As I said, all of us are 99.9% identical genetically.

Wouldn't you rather have a museum to your name?

How is my trait more special than yours? Why would I care if my traits are extinct?

18. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    126 threads
    19,496 comments
    Premium

18   10:25pm Sat 29 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

swebb says

That 0.1% sure does make a difference.

Tell that to the OWS folks.

But seriously, my essence is more than my genetics.

19. justme

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    38 threads
    4,186 comments
    San Francisco, CA

19   10:49pm Sat 29 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

swebb says

That 0.1% sure does make a difference.

Yeah, I think so. No chicks seem to be overly impressed that I am 99.9% the same as [pick any famous person you like].

20. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    126 threads
    19,496 comments
    Premium

20   10:52pm Sat 29 Dec 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

justme says

No chicks seem to be overly impressed that I am 99.9% the same as [pick any famous person you like].

Because you are also 99.9% the same as [pick any serial killer you don't like].

Premium member Peter P is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 617 milliseconds to create.