If the Whales had won, there wouldn't even Be a housing crisis--try the book!! (Advertisement)

Mortgage applications fall for third straight week

By Call it Crazy   Follow   Thu, 3 Jan 2013, 7:31am   1,039 views   25 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

(Reuters) - Applications for home mortgages fell last week for the third consecutive week as refinancings fell to the lowest level since last April, an industry group said on Wednesday.

The Mortgage Bankers Association said its seasonally adjusted index of mortgage application activity, which includes both refinancing and home purchase demand, fell 10.4 percent in the week ended December 28.

The MBA's seasonally adjusted index of refinancing applications also fell 10.4 percent, while the gauge of loan requests for home purchases, a leading indicator of home sales, fell 10.5 percent. Both indexes dipped for a third straight week.

The refinance share of total mortgage activity stayed at 82 percent of applications.

http://news.yahoo.com/mortgage-applications-fall-third-straight-week-mba-120556681--business.html

Viewing Comments 1-25 of 25     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

1   8:13am Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

It's okay Call it Crazy, we just need more investors, and people to break out of credit jail. That's what e-man told me.

2. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

2   9:31am Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I'd expect refinancing to start falling off pretty rapidly from here on out. There's not much room for rates to go lower.

Inventory fell off a cliff at the end of November, so there aren't really any purchases to get a mortgage on. Depending on the city, listings are down 20-30% YoY. It seems like there are hardly any distressed sales popping up, so my guess is a lot of people refinanced and are going to sit tight for a while.

3. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    622 threads
    7,215 comments

3   9:32am Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Kevin says

It seems like there are hardly any distressed sales popping up, so my guess is a lot of people refinanced and are going to sit tight for a while.

Or, just default, stop paying and sit tight...

4. bubblesitter

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    10 threads
    2,730 comments

4   10:19am Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Now,some people will say,it is will not put a dent on home prices.

5. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

5   11:07am Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Call it Crazy says

Kevin says

It seems like there are hardly any distressed sales popping up, so my guess is a lot of people refinanced and are going to sit tight for a while.

Or, just default, stop paying and sit tight...

No. The people who were going to default already have. Rates are low enough now that payments have been cut by half. People are underwater still, but they're able to pay the bills so they'll stay.

6. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    622 threads
    7,215 comments

6   2:54pm Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Kevin says

No. The people who were going to default already have. Rates are low enough now that payments have been cut by half. People are underwater still, but they're able to pay the bills so they'll stay.

What about the average 360K who file for first time unemployment each week. How long do they continue to pay their mortgages??

7. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

7   3:01pm Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Call it Crazy says

Kevin says

What about the average 360K who file for first time unemployment each week. How long do they continue to pay their mortgages??

Depends on the person. Many don't have mortgages to begin with.

Keep holding your breath for the next huge wave of foreclosures, though. I'm sure it'll happen if you just want it bad enough.

8. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

8   3:07pm Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Call it Crazy says

Well $1,800 a month for 2 years can buy a pretty decent pad with today's rates. :)

9. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    622 threads
    7,215 comments

9   3:07pm Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Kevin says

What????? Only people without mortgages lose their jobs?? Really???

10. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

10   4:44pm Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Call it Crazy says

Kevin says

What????? Only people without mortgages lose their jobs?? Really???

You must have gone to the special school when you were a child.

11. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    235 threads
    853 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

11   5:07pm Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

another biased article probably written by a typical republican bear who wishes everything would crash and burn so they can blame it on a black guy.

note the "article" doesn't take into account seasonality, the ever decreasing level of inventory and makes no mention of the fact that the amount of applications has INCREASED Y-o-Y.

"Applications for home mortgages fell last week for the third consecutive week as refinancings fell to the lowest level since last April"

12. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    622 threads
    7,215 comments

12   5:34pm Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Mark D says

another biased article probably written by a typical republican bear who wishes everything would crash and burn so they can blame it on a black guy.

No, actually it looks like he's one of yours....

13. errc

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    45 threads
    2,093 comments
    32 male

13   5:43pm Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Infestor led rally will only go so far as rents will allow, and rents come from wages, so play along accordingly

14. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    256 threads
    3,094 comments
    San Francisco, CA

14   6:44pm Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

errc says

Infestor led rally will only go so far as rents will allow, and rents come from wages, so play along accordingly

InFestor, nice!

15. Philistine

Follow
    Befriend
    649 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

15   6:47pm Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Actually, mortgage applications are up 30+% year-over-year. December was up 3% over November. It was only the recent two weeks they decreased slightly:

http://www.housingwire.com/fastnews/2013/01/02/home-mortgage-applications-grow-december-capital-economics

16. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    622 threads
    7,215 comments

16   6:48pm Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Kevin says

You must have gone to the special school when you were a child.

Wow, so that was you in the same class... imagine that!!

17. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    622 threads
    7,215 comments

17   6:58pm Thu 3 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Philistine says

Actually, mortgage applications are up 30+% year-over-year. December was up 3% over November. It was only the recent two weeks they decreased slightly:

http://www.housingwire.com/fastnews/2013/01/02/home-mortgage-applications-grow-december-capital-economics

That article data is from Capital Economics, not the MBA..

..."Researchers with Capital Economics say December application filings regained ground lost in November"

Try here:
    http://www.mbaa.org/default.htm

18. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

18   7:20am Fri 4 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Week over week, or even YOY, mortgage applications for home purchases has been in the tank for the past 3-4 years, we're back to mid-90s levels now:

It's obvious new demand isn't coming from traditional buyers, it's infestors/speculators who are driving this market.

19. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (48)
    319 threads
    17,115 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

19   7:32am Fri 4 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

bubblesitter says

Now,some people will say,it is will not put a dent on home prices.

It will not put a dent in home prices.

Refinances are down because (drum roll)..........interest rates have stopped falling! TADA!!!

20. Mobi

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    263 comments

20   7:43am Fri 4 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Goran_K says

It's obvious new demand isn't coming from traditional buyers, it's
    infestors/speculators who are driving this market.

I don't see this as a problem except for those who is dreaming to take advantage of another housing bubble. Investors is a mechanism to stablize the housing market (good or bad depending on your opinion.)

21. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

21   7:54am Fri 4 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Mobi says

I don't see this as a problem except for those who is dreaming to take advantage of another housing bubble. Investors is a mechanism to stablize the housing market (good or bad depending on your opinion.)

I don't either.

What I do contend is that investors by themselves can sustain a bull market. There are people on here who think housing will appreciate 30% in the next 3 years, and that it's a "conservative" prediction.

22. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    624 threads
    8,876 comments

22   8:00am Fri 4 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Mark D says

Well I wish everything would crash and burn so we would get a new cast of characters. Ah who am I kidding, 50% of the people would still trust the old guard to turn things around.

23. Mobi

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    263 comments

23   9:04am Fri 4 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Goran_K says

I don't either.

What I do contend is that investors by themselves can sustain a bull market.
    There are people on here who think housing will appreciate 30% in the next 3
    years, and that it's a "conservative" prediction.

In some areas, it is bouncing back from oversold. In some areas, housing is just alwalys crazy. In my area, it is a gradual decline. YMMV. Overall, I don't see a NATIONAL housing bull market.

24. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    622 threads
    7,215 comments

24   9:30am Fri 4 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Mobi says

In some areas, it is bouncing back from oversold. In some areas, housing is just alwalys crazy. In my area, it is a gradual decline. YMMV. Overall, I don't see a NATIONAL housing bull market.

Me neither... my state is also in a gradual decline with no bottom in sight.

25. Goran_K

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    2,192 comments
    Laguna Beach, CA

25   10:04am Mon 7 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Mobi says

I also think some areas are literally back to 80s prices or less; Vegas, Phoenix, etc. They aren't going to crash anymore so I could see more appreciation in those markets if it comes.

But metro areas of California are looking at big declines.

Call it Crazy is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 146 milliseconds to create.