There's More To Real Estate Than Meets The Eye (Advertisement)

California leads nation in job creation

By bgamall4   Follow   Fri, 4 Jan 2013, 11:29pm   440 views   9 comments
In Las Vegas NV 89117   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57562186/california-leads-nation-in-job-creation/

News) LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The Golden State is striking it rich in job creation. Jim Nguyen is an executive vice president at Truecar.com. Their website helps consumers know fair prices when buying or selling a vehicle. They currently have two buildings. ""We're still looking for more. We are growing fast," he said. Two years ago, Truecar.com had just over 100 employees. Today they have over 300 and are planning to add more. "Just this morning I was out looking for more office space," Nguyen said. Truecar.com is one of the dozens of star-ups that have earned Santa Monica, Calif....

Viewing Comments 1-9 of 9     Last »     See most liked comments

1. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,647 comments

1   11:51pm Fri 4 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

bgamall4 says

California leads nation in job creation

if your pointing to some media company like Truecar.com.. then you really do have shit for brains.

trying adding NEW real ground employers with the likes of Intel, Cisco, HP, Sun Micro, or the many others who make real goods and services not some website or media companies.

2. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

2   12:00am Sat 5 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

trying adding NEW real ground employers with the likes of Intel, Cisco, HP, Sun Micro, or the many others who make real goods and services not some website or media companies.

Hey, one of those companies is actually managing to not be a total failure at the moment (one doesn't really exist anymore btw ).

I don't know anything about truecar.com, but I don't see why "some website" or "media companies" are fundamentally different from any other business.

"media companies" like TW, News Corp, and Disney employ millions of people and provide services that lots of people pay for. Seems like a good industry to me.

"some website" like Google or Amazon employ tens of thousands of people each and provide valuable services that people pay good money for. Seems like a good industry to me.

Visiting their website, it looks like truecar.com provides a service where they find discounts for car buying. While certainly not a new or earth shattering product, it seems like a useful service for people buying a new car maybe. I don't see anything wrong with that.

3. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,647 comments

3   12:17am Sat 5 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Kevin says

Hey, one of those companies is actually managing to not be a total failure at the moment (one doesn't really exist anymore btw ).

all "ground breaking" companies that employed low and high skilled workers across the board. It didnt matter if you were working on the Sun Micro's Manufacturing floor or Eng working on the Sparc Chip or OS.

These were the core companies that powered and ran global commerce across many industries from banking/financial services, aerospace, medical, electronics, transportation, and countless others...all these had a deep impact for decades...

facebook, twitter, google and many web sites do zero for our economy... they do nothing but distribute digital services.

4. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,647 comments

4   12:22am Sat 5 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Kevin says

service where they find discounts for car buying. While certainly not a new or earth shattering product, it seems like a useful service for people buying a new car maybe.

any tom dick or harry would come up with that for cars or travel... the real stuff is much harder. and thanks to our Govt .. it has become more harder to make the next big thing.

5. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

5   2:00am Sat 5 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

These were the core companies that powered and ran global commerce across many industries from banking/financial services, aerospace, medical, electronics, transportation, and countless others...all these had a deep impact for decades...

Were being the operative term here. There is nothing that any of those companies is doing that can't be done by other companies. They're not unique, and they're not pushing the envelope any longer. That's why they can't attract top talent anymore and go looking for the leavings of those willing to pay top dollar for top talent.

thomaswong.1986 says

facebook, twitter, google and many web sites do zero for our economy... they do nothing but distribute digital services.

Well, the examples I used were google and amazon*. I won't speak to the value of twitter and facebook.

But lets see what google and amazon contribute, shall we?

Amazon: By far the most massive supply chain management success since WWII, they've figured out how to deliver virtually anything to virtually anywhere in two days at nearly no cost. They figured out cost-effective means for offloading expensive local computing power to their own managed datacenters, saving billions of dollars per year in operational expenses for millions of companies.

Google: Made finding information orders of magnitude easier than it was in the past. Created the operating system that now powers the majority of consumer devices. Developed the most sophisticated cartography tool in human history (and gave it away for free). Published dozens of ground-breaking research papers that have led to industry-wide changes in distributed computing, power efficiency, and scale. And this is to say nothing of speculative projects like autonomous vehicles or all the enterprise services that they provide.

* yes, I know amazon isn't a california company. I was speaking of the industry.

thomaswong.1986 says

any tom dick or harry would come up with that for cars or travel... the real stuff is much harder.

It's not rocket science, but it has value. Probably more than you've ever created.

"The real stuff" is what, exactly? Sun developed some shitty hardware and a shittier programming language and an OK operating system that never really worked unless you paid for their shitty hardware. Cisco built some decent networking hardware back in the day and then stopped trying to do anything new. Intel built up a monopoly by partnering with MS to push their mediocre CPUs and now is caught with their pants down because they can't figure out mobile.

HP was once a great company that did great things. Now they're a trainwreck that hasn't contributed anything worthwhile in so long that everyone just thinks they're a printer company.

I get that you have an anti-software chip on your shoulder, and I'm sorry that you feel that hardware innovation is under appreciated. If you'd prefer, I could list a dozen hardware companies that are actually still doing great work in the industry. That won't change the fact that these companies do provide very real value to their customers and employ a lot of people, even if you want to label them as "some websites" or "media companies".

6. BobbyS

Follow
    Befriend
    16 threads
    123 comments

6   4:22am Sat 5 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

So how many total jobs have been created - net increase - recently relative to the state's population who are of working age?

7. bgamall4

Follow
    Befriend (11)
    1,119 threads
    5,885 comments
    64 male
    Las Vegas, NV
    bgamall4's website
    Premium

7   12:31pm Sat 5 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

if your pointing to some media company like Truecar.com.. then you really do have shit for brains.

You are ignorant Wong. The numbers don't lie about total job creation. Yes, I know someone who works for Truecar, but that is not the sole basis for the article. But these startups in SoCal apparently are outdoing your beloved Silicon Valley. Something to think about Wong.

8. bgamall4

Follow
    Befriend (11)
    1,119 threads
    5,885 comments
    64 male
    Las Vegas, NV
    bgamall4's website
    Premium

8   12:32pm Sat 5 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

Actually, they fulfill an important service for the economy, advertising. Big media does contribute to society whether you like it or not Wong.

9. bgamall4

Follow
    Befriend (11)
    1,119 threads
    5,885 comments
    64 male
    Las Vegas, NV
    bgamall4's website
    Premium

9   12:34pm Sat 5 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

any tom dick or harry would come up with that for cars or travel

Well, Truecar has saved shoppers millions upon millions of dollars. And for travel, Priceline and Hotwire also make travel more efficient.

Premium member bgamall4 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 182 milliseconds to create.