Another Welfare Abuse Example....Dems say 'Nothing wrong here

By AverageBear   Follow   Sun, 6 Jan 2013, 12:06pm   5,128 views   112 comments
In Boston MA 02110   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (6)  

....."Let’s not forget how the “scrubbing” began. Granny [LIZ} Warren’s daughter filed a lawsuit claiming the DTA hadn’t been proactive enough in registering the state’s assorted loafers and layabouts to vote for her carpetbagging fake-Indian mom. Then — bingo, the hacks located $274,000 for mailings, complete with post-paid envelopes for the gimme girls and guys to send back their voter registrations.

Have you ever gotten a post-paid envelope from the commonwealth? No, I didn’t think so. They’re not for taxpayers, just for the non-working classes to take part in a Democratic voter-registration drive."......

The Patrick administration has known about these appalling EBT numbers for months now. They were only released after this newspaper filed a Freedom of Information Act request. Which is the same way it was revealed that Lt. Gov. Tim Murray was doing 108 mph when he mysteriously crashed his state vehicle in November 2011."....

Guess what this revealed? Most likely, these fake welfare frauds are collecting from other states. Liberals here in Mass REFUSE to acknowledge welfare fraud, REFUSE to allow reform to uncover waste. This is what you get when democrats overwhelmingly run a 'one party state'...

...."Those 19,000 MIA’s collect — based on an average of $400 a month — $91 million a year. That’s the estimate of Rep. Shauna O’Connell (R-Taunton). But the governor Friday went into his best pooh-pooh mode.

“That may not be indicative of a problem,” he said with a straight face. “We’ll know when we do the scrubbing.”.......

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/columnists/howie_carr/2013/01/you_can%E2%80%99t_%E2%80%98scrub%E2%80%99_ebt_mess_dirty_rag

Most Liked Comments

Sort by time instead  
  1. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    51 threads
    2,295 comments
    Premium

1   10:50am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

David Losh says

Most people don't spend time with people on Welfare so they don't know that the lifestyle these people have is brutal, and desperate.

I grew up on welfare. I did not even know we were poor.

I don't recall the brutality or desperation. I do remember the free lunch at school and all the programs brought into our project to "help" the poor. In reality many of these programs enriched the people who ran them more than it helped the poor who were targeted.

I distinctly remember a neighborhood cleanup project when I was 8 years old. We were going to spend all morning picking up trash and then get a "free" lunch. After the morning work was done each of us was sent home with one raw hot dog.

2. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    260 threads
    5,726 comments
    Davis, CA

2   5:36pm Tue 5 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

You think a non democrat state spend less on social programs? Plenty of examples say no.

So if you had to pick one thing would it be:
    1) Waste
    2) Fraud
    3) Spending

3. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    803 threads
    6,880 comments
    Baltimore, MD

3   6:25am Wed 29 May 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Vicente says

So you want to implement some different gift card system that does have identity & audit ability?

The welfare card should have the picture of the deadbeat on the card, so that the cashier can verify it.

4. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    260 threads
    5,726 comments
    Davis, CA

4   11:36pm Sun 6 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (2)  

AverageBear says

Why doesn't the state have a handle on EXACTLY who is geting free taxpayer $$?

You're kidding right? Entire pallets of money, BILLIONS of dollars, simply go missing in a war zone, and big collective YAWN!

A few million here and there to people in this country is BIG FUCKING DEAL! Hunt them down and BURN THEM ALIVE! Anyone who might not have documented things properly STRING THEM UP by their thumbs!

I realize ultra-conservatives hate poor people, I still don't understand why they love terrorists and criminals so much.

I worked in an inventory control unit at a corporation for a brief period. Whenever we'd try to reconcile things, we'd come up MILLIONS of dollars short all over the place. Fairly large pieces of barcoded equipment that nobody could locate. My favorite was a minicomputer late 80's vintage probably 3 racks in size, must have weighed a ton nobody could find.

Let's say you've got a copier that is "worth" $10K on your inventory. You can't find it. Some dumb-shit didn't steal it, it broke down after a few years and they THREW IT IN THE TRASH without telling anyone. Then people leave and by the time inventory is done nobody recalls what happened to that item. Theft or bad paperwork? Was that copier even really worth $10K any more? Well the accountants think so.

Did we fire anyone? Did we even initiate Tiger Team searches for all this missing shit? No, as long as it was "acceptable" levels of loss we didn't bother with it.

It fascinates me how people target "waste". So many contexts where people don't care a bit about waste. But there's always some group that doesn't "deserve" what they are receiving, and who are committing a mortal sin.

5. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    213 threads
    4,550 comments
    Premium

5   9:28am Mon 7 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Yup, every dollar spent on welfare comes back to the economy somehow.

Can't say the same for those missing billions in Iraqi Bribe Money. Probably much of it was spent building a Gun Range in South Africa, or buying an Apartment in Zurich.

6. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    75 threads
    3,158 comments
    Bellingham, WA

6   11:08pm Tue 8 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

AverageBear says

Why are they afraid of trying to root out waste?

zero tolerance is generally counterproductive if not asinine.

Witchhunts on minorities is just for political points, meanwhile:

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/FDEFX

7. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    51 threads
    2,295 comments
    Premium

7   10:59am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Instead of giving money to people who can't handle money why don't we create soup kitchens to feed, dormitories to house, and clinics to treat the poor?

There is little incentive to better yourself when you can net more from welfare than working.

8. David Losh

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    1,546 comments
    Seattle, WA
    David Losh's website

8   7:47pm Sat 2 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

AverageBear says

No need to CHANGE A FUCKIN' THING. NOTHING TO LOOK AT. NOTHING TO SEE HERE SUCKERS, er, TAXPAYERS.

We have changed the system for you frigging whiners to the tune of that there $28 Billiion.

Going back to Reagan, who turned the mentally ill out on the street to save a few bucks, and Clinton, with his Welfare to Work government employment program, we have done nothing to make the system better, just more costly.

Hookers, and liquor? No, the vast majority of these people are barely surviving.

The reason we have waste is because the system is so complicated that, yes, really bad people can play it.

The Professor says

Instead of giving money to people who can't handle money why don't we create soup kitchens to feed, dormitories to house, and clinics to treat the poor?

Yeah, let's set up a series of government agencies to do all of those things, shelter, food, and medical.

The problem there is the cost. It would also take away profits from land lords, McDonalds, and God forbid, the Medical Industry.

Welfare works, and could stand to cut the budget on oversight so that more money can reach the poor.

9. coriacci1

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    73 threads
    334 comments

9   8:59am Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

i repeat post Average bear delete; they don’t call afganistan the graveyard of empires for nothing! though i can’t understand why ABear would delete such a comment!

dublin hillz says

You would think that our government could have anticipated this considering that that's what american did to the soviets back in 1980's - get them caught up to afghanistan so that they would go broke, collapse and implode.

10. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,776 comments
    Victorville, CA

10   6:03pm Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Vicente says

Conservo-rage is reserved for poor people, who are despicable and untrustworthy and GUILTY UNTIL PROVED INNOCENT for being poor.

You're right Vicente - poverty is regarded almost like a seditious act to a lot of the $ worshipers I know.

11. David Losh

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    1,546 comments
    Seattle, WA
    David Losh's website

11   7:38pm Tue 5 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

AverageBear says

this epic-failure of a solution.

The EBT will be used to abuse Welfare receipients, for all the reasons you are suggesting.

Use it as ID? Come into the office four times a year? Have your picture taken?

As you have discovered the EBT has already tracked the abuse you are so outraged about. What more do you want?

How much more nanny State are you demanding, because your State already spends $3 for every $1 spent on Welfare policing it.

I don't know how many different ways to say that your State spends more on over sight of Welfare than on giving money to the poor.

How much is enough? Should we spend another $60 Billion on goverment agencies? How about if we just build more jails?

There's real crime in the world that we can't control, and you want to spend more resources policing the poor.

12. adarmiento

Follow
    Befriend
    21 threads
    494 comments

12   11:44am Thu 30 May 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

I am saying that out of total taxes, that the USA pays 3 times as much just on social security, medicare and medicaid than on the department of defense. And that does not include other social spending such as food stamps and education funding.

13. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

13   1:52pm Sun 6 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (2)  

If 19,000 people were getting $400 a month and that's only 4 percent of welfare recipients, that implies $2,280,000,000 per year on this program, and that there are 475,000 recipients.

The MA budget says it only spent $850M on this program in FY 2012. Sounds like somebody might be fudging numbers to try to argue a case that doesn't really exist.

The state also reports only 160,000 welfare recipients, not 475,000. 160,000 recipients sounds much more in line with that $850M budget number.

If there are only 160,000 recipients, it seems unlikely that there are actually nearly 20,000 cases of fraud (15%, not 4%) "Not being able to locate" someone isn't the same thing as fraud, as this opinion piece implies. Poor people move a lot.

Based on other articles I've found online, the governor's office said that 11,262 of those 19,000 unaccounted for were not receiving benefits, period. So that leaves 7,738 who had moved (forwarding addresses) -- voila, now we see what "4%" actually means.

But, well, 7,738 people receiving $37,142,400 per year who no longer live at the address that they applied for benefits from sounds way less interesting than claiming that there is $91M of welfare fraud going on, doesn't it?

I don't even live in MA and have only visited there once in my life, but I was able to locate these numbers on publicly available websites. You'd think someone trying to argue against a broken system would actually bother to look up some real numbers.

14. AverageBear

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    28 threads
    639 comments
    Boston, MA

14   5:56pm Sun 6 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Kevin says

"Not being able to locate" someone isn't the same thing as fraud, as this
    opinion piece implies. Poor people move a lot.

---------------------------------
    If you were a taxpayer here in Mass like I am, would you feel confident that your state is sending out 19000 mailers that are getting returned? I'm sure not. I mean, the state is automatically pushing massive amounts of money electronically to thousands of EBT cards. You'd think they'd know where these people lived, right? Your excuse that "poor people move around alot" is piss poor. If my state is shelling out $400 per month per person on average, I'd sure as shit want them to keep tabs on these folks. Maybe put the onus on the recipient to prove their existence and need for the taxpayer $$ every month? It seems like I'm asking too much.

Why doesn't the state have a handle on EXACTLY who is geting free taxpayer $$?

Why are democrats here in Mass so opposed to welfare reform?

Back in the 90's, mayor Guiliani of NYC did a little welfare reform, and required all welfare recipients to actually show up to pick up their benefits. And what happened? 25% didn't show up. This saved NYC millions in tax payer money. Why can't the democrats do that here in Massachusetts? They can sure find over $275K to send out these mailers to make sure they register to vote(for the Democrat hand that feeds them(wink-wink, nudge-nudge): ... Why would they be opposed to confirming these #'s?

Whether the wasted amount is 91 million or your 'less interesting' 37 million, it's still an absurdly large amount of $$. If the honest # is somewhere between your 37 million, and the Herald's stated 91 million, do you still think there's a major problem? I do. You apparently think everything is cool.

Do you think the democrats running my state should do something, or do you agree w/ them, that hiding this fact (until forced to reveal this via 'Freedom of Information" request by the Boston Herald) is OK. Are you OK w/ my state not working to find/remove 37-91 million in waste and fraud? It seems that my state gov't is more interested in protecting illegal aliens, layabouts (and its vote factory), than it's own citizens it supposedly works for.

I trully wish I had the time to pour through some #'s as diligently as you did. Kudos for that. But that still doesn't solve or white-wash this problem.....My argument is that I prove welfare fraud exists, where libs say it doesn't. They then back-peddle w/ "Well, it's not THAT bad". Yes, it IS that bad. Your tone sounds very similar.

15. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    51 threads
    1,748 comments
    Dublin, CA

15   9:26am Mon 7 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

David Losh says

However Welfare is a direct infusion of cash into the economy. The poor spend
    all of that money in your local stores.

That is simply an explanation that poor people have trouble saving money because they don't have the funds to save. However, it is not a positive thing that they "spend all of that money." Our society would be much better off if everyone could save 6 months worth of living expenses in savings as any good financial advisor would recommend. Living check to check out of necessity plain sucks.

16. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    51 threads
    1,748 comments
    Dublin, CA

16   9:28am Mon 7 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Ideally all theft would be dealt with harshly and severely whether its contractor in afghanistan, white collar criminals, welfare recepients, thiefs in department stores, etc. To say that one theft is better than another is to justify evil selectively.

17. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    51 threads
    1,748 comments
    Dublin, CA

17   9:36am Mon 7 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

thunderlips11 says

Yup, every dollar spent on welfare comes back to the economy somehow.

Can't say the same for those missing billions in Iraqi Bribe Money. Probably much of it was spent building a Gun Range in South Africa, or buying an Apartment in Zurich.

The money spent on afghanistan and irag wars have been a financial knockout against united states, like what marquez did to paquiao. You would think that our government could have anticipated this considering that that's what american did to the soviets back in 1980's - get them caught up to afghanistan so that they would go broke, collapse and implode.

18. AverageBear

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    28 threads
    639 comments
    Boston, MA

18   1:43pm Tue 8 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Kevin says

I get that you're a heartless dick, but lets discuss from a basis of facts and figures, not emotions.

--------------------------
    Projecting will get you no where, mon frere.... I'm simply asking why my State gov't refuses to look into cleaning up obvious waste. You reply w/ name-calling. nice. Stay classy, Kevin.

19. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

19   9:15pm Tue 8 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Call it Crazy says

AverageBear says

Why do liberals dismiss the bad elements in human behavior when it comes to welfare? Why are they afraid of trying to root out waste?

Maybe if they did, they would lose their voting block of people..

Poor people don't vote. Less than I in 10 in poverty show up, vs 8 in 10 among white collar professionals.

Liberals win elections from women, minorities, and the well educated. Poor people are barely relevant in elections, unless they're old, white, and religious.

20. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    260 threads
    5,726 comments
    Davis, CA

20   12:29am Wed 9 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Because angrybear it's penny ante bullshit.

Reminds me of the various efforts to enact drug testing for welfare recipients. Which end up spending more on the drug testing than it "saves" as they find out welfare recipients statistically are less drug addicted than general population.

And is the goal to fix the accounting, or justify cutting the welfare budget?

If you want to cut waste do you go after the big budget items, or do you shave pennies off your lunch budget?

AverageBear is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 100 milliseconds to create.