Obama supporters shocked, angry at new tax increases

By Call it Crazy   Follow   Mon, 7 Jan 2013, 9:56am   4,764 views   100 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (5)   Dislike (3)  

Sometimes, watching a Democrat learn something is wonderful, like seeing the family dog finally sit and stay at your command.

With President Obama back in office and his life-saving “fiscal cliff” bill jammed through Congress, the new year has brought a surprising turn of events for his sycophantic supporters.

“What happened that my Social Security withholding’s in my paycheck just went up?” a poster wrote on the liberal site DemocraticUnderground.com. “My paycheck just went down by an amount that I don’t feel comfortable with. I guarantee this decrease is gonna’ hurt me more than the increase in income taxes will hurt those making over 400 grand. What happened?”

Shocker. Democrats who supported the president’s re-election just had NO idea that his steadfast pledge to raise taxes meant that he was really going to raise taxes. They thought he planned to just hit those filthy “1 percenters,” you know, the ones who earned fortunes through their inventiveness and hard work. They thought the free ride would continue forever.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/6/obama-supporters-shocked-angry-new-tax-increases/

« First     « Previous     Viewing Comments 61-100 of 100     Last »     See most liked comments

1. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    53 threads
    2,392 comments
    Premium

61   7:23am Thu 10 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

http://etfdailynews.com/2012/12/06/from-good-jobs-to-bad-jobs-to-no-jobs-the-tragic-downfall-of-the-american-worker/

"If your neighbor loses their job it's a recession. When you lose your job its a depression".

Anecdotal Evidence: When a non profit I consult for was recruiting a new admin we were flooded with resumes. The job was offering $17/hour (no benefits other than pay) and many of the applicants had advanced degrees. When asked why they were applying even though they were overqualified the typical responce was that they had to pay bills.

2. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    876 threads
    11,088 comments

62   7:24am Thu 10 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

tatupu70 says

The Professor says

For who? The poor people whose rent and taxes are rising? The unemployed who

can't find a good job and has been taken off the list of unemployed? The person

who lost a good job and now has to take a lesser job to pay the bills?

Nope--for the 150K-200K people/month that are getting hired.

And the 370K that lose their job EVERY WEEK....

3. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    876 threads
    11,088 comments

63   7:26am Thu 10 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

iwog says

Try to let go of your irrational hatred and use your brain for once. Things are indeed getting better.

Right.... and we are still waiting breathlessly for your response to Scagnetti's chart above!!

4. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    938 threads
    11,847 comments

64   7:36am Thu 10 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Things are getting better.
    Who want's to bet me that when Oil hits the $100 a barrel mark pink slips happen in droves?

What it's only happened more than 10 times in the last 5 years. Why am I the only one that realizes the problem? Every 6 months Oil starts heading to $80 a barrel and companies sees that as Greenshoots. But by time it goes back up to $100, companies start feeling the crunch of $4.00 and greater gas.

Things get OK for a while Iwog, but nothing has gotten better, (For the Nation as a whole) in well over 5 years.

5. finehoe

Follow
    Befriend
    21 threads
    482 comments
    Washington, DC

65   7:45am Thu 10 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  
  6. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    938 threads
    11,847 comments

66   8:21am Thu 10 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Oh I know, there has never been a shortage of Oil in the last 7 years. The price has been so far disconnected from fundamentals that its embarrassing. We've got a surplus stockpile of the stuff that isn't selling. It's what keeps busting the bubble. Still it doesn't stop the same cast of bastards from manipulating the price, thus killing the economy.

7. tatupu70

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    23 threads
    8,261 comments

67   9:54am Thu 10 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Call it Crazy says

370K/week? Source?

8. CBOEtrader

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    26 threads
    510 comments
    Chicago, IL

68   10:05am Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

You can't even bring yourself to admit that Republicans have outspent Democrats by 600% or more

This is a lie, and you know it.

The numbers you are quoting are GROWTH in spending, therefore making Obama the biggest spender in presidential history.

His growth rate has obviouosly declined, and I suppose that is to his credit? However, let's not lie and pretend that makes him a smaller spender than any former president. By the very definition of the terms, he is the largest spender in history.

At least use the statistics in an honest way and present an honest argument to prove your point.

9. tatupu70

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    23 threads
    8,261 comments

69   1:36pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CBOEtrader says

At least use the statistics in an honest way and present an honest argument
    to prove your point.

How is using growth less honest? A very strong argument can be made that new spending is the best way to look at it. Why should Obama be penalized for Medicare part D? Or the Iraq War that he voted against?

10. tr6

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    13 threads
    444 comments
    Premium

70   1:49pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

IWog,

Obama run on a platform to end wars. We are still in Afghanistan. He could have reverted Bush tax cuts twice. He did not. Who cares whether Republicans were obstructionist or not. He had the stronger hand and he blew it. His reform of health care will not reduce cost over the next ten years since everyone had four years to run up the cost. Why couldn't they get a law passed that goes in effect that year in 2010 instead of 2013-4?

Obama was elected to fix and undo Bush's mistakes. Instead he solidified many of Bush's mistakes into long term policies.

11. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    876 threads
    11,088 comments

71   3:19pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

tatupu70 says

Call it Crazy says

370K/week? Source?

Do you live under a rock???? Or, maybe in the trunk of a tree??

Released 8:30 AM Eastern Time every Thursday morning....

Here's the link:

http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/eta/ui/current.htm#.UPCcSZbPaSo

From this week's release:

....."In the week ending January 5, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 371,000, an increase of 4,000 from the previous week's revised figure of 367,000. The 4-week moving average was 365,750, an increase of 6,750 from the previous week's revised average of 359,000."

......"The advance number of actual initial claims under state programs, unadjusted, totaled 552,043 in the week ending January 5, an increase of 61,944 from the previous week. There were 646,219 initial claims in the comparable week in 2012. "

12. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

72   4:09pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Long story short, Obama won the election. Get used to it. No amount of righty-wingy crap is going to change that.

13. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    876 threads
    11,088 comments

73   4:16pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

edvard2 says

Long story short, Obama won the election. Get used to it. No amount of righty-wingy crap is going to change that.

14. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

74   4:22pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Yes- "this shit again", because sometimes some of ya'll need to get reminded.

15. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    876 threads
    11,088 comments

75   7:09pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

edvard2 says

Yes- "this shit again", because sometimes some of ya'll need to get reminded.

It's great, since you're an Obama supporter, your paycheck didn't go down this month...

...oh wait.... Obama didn't take care of you... say it isn't so...

16. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    387 threads
    20,439 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

76   7:12pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

treatmentreport says

Obama run on a platform to end wars. We are still in Afghanistan.

Obama ran on a platform of ending the Iraq war and escalating the Afghanistan war. I have no idea WTF you are talking about when you say "end wars".

treatmentreport says

He could have reverted Bush tax cuts twice.

Obama ran on a platform of NOT reversing the Bush tax cuts except for the top wage earners. He mostly won but it took 4 years. He never wanted nor promised to repeal them.

treatmentreport says

Who cares whether Republicans were obstructionist or not. He had the stronger hand and he blew it.

Two completely false assertions followed by a horribly flawed conclusion. Please don't pull shit like this.

17. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    387 threads
    20,439 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

77   7:14pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

treatmentreport says

Obama was elected to fix and undo Bush's mistakes. Instead he solidified many of Bush's mistakes into long term policies.

Obama has done an amazing job considering how vile Republicans have acted. The country is damn lucky he is president.

18. carrieon

Follow
    Befriend
    4 threads
    374 comments

78   7:14pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

This article is mute. Obama supporters don't pay income taxes.

19. Scagnetti

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    15 threads
    300 comments

79   7:45pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (2)  

iwog says

Obama ran on a platform of ending the Iraq war and escalating the Afghanistan war. I have no idea WTF you are talking about when you say "end wars".

I thought he was going to end the war right away...what was the delay?

20. Scagnetti

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    15 threads
    300 comments

80   7:52pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (3)  

iwog says

Obama ran on a platform of NOT reversing the Bush tax cuts except for the top wage earners. He mostly won but it took 4 years. He never wanted nor promised to repeal them.

He also promised not to raise payroll taxes...

21. tr6

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    13 threads
    444 comments
    Premium

81   7:57pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

IWog,

I can prove your points wrong one by one by posting videos of Obama's campaign speeches from 2008. In my opinion he has done very little to make changes to the structural problems in finance, health, and defense. In the energy policy he has done extremely well.

I doubt I will change your mind. So that's my last post in this thread.

22. Robert Sproul

Follow
    Befriend
    68 threads
    861 comments

82   8:34pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (1)  

i am a lifelong Democrat, I have never voted any other way since Jimmy Carter. I will never vote in a presidential election again. You can no longer vote against the interests of the ongoing criminal enterprise that is the predatory financial sector.
    Obama is a war criminal who murders children with hellfire missiles and then talks sanctimoniously about the children at Sandy Hook. Obama adopts Bush's entire set of policies in the "global war on terror" then launches a war on whistleblowers, dredging up the draconian Espionage Act. He arrogates to himself the right to assassinate US citizens at his personal discretion, makes secret deals with pharmaceutical companies, murders civilians in Pakistan & Yemen on an almost daily basis. FISA legislation renewal, NDAA indefinite detention support, refusal to even attempt prosecute the systemic C suite control fraud in Wall Street. In his next 4 years he will negotiate away the social safety net, a deed that no Republican could accomplish. Just as it took a Democrat to undo Welfare in America, topping off the increasingly privatized prisons of the American Gulag. It is The Great Betrayal.

23. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    876 threads
    11,088 comments

83   8:45pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Robert Sproul says

It is The Great Betrayal.

Now you went and did it....

I think I hear a drone over your house.....

24. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,779 comments
    Victorville, CA

84   9:45pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Scagnetti says

Ha! Promises!!! You've obviously never been divorced three times! Promises are just part of the Adventures in Packaging that is all of life.

25. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    387 threads
    20,439 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

85   10:51pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike   Protected  

Scagnetti says

He didn't raise payroll taxes. He CUT payroll taxes by giving Americans a tax holiday. At what point did you interpret "tax holiday" as permanent?

treatmentreport says

I can prove your points wrong one by one by posting videos of Obama's campaign speeches from 2008. In my opinion he has done very little to make changes to the structural problems in finance, health, and defense. In the energy policy he has done extremely well.

I doubt I will change your mind. So that's my last post in this thread.

Post your evidence, otherwise this is nothing but a bluff and a smoke screen for your retreat. You know damn fucking well that Obama both promised to escalate the Afghanistan war AND promised to continue the Bush tax cuts except for the top tax bracket. Why do you want to come off as totally disingenuous?

26. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    387 threads
    20,439 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

86   10:53pm Fri 11 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Robert Sproul says

In his next 4 years he will negotiate away the social safety net, a deed that no Republican could accomplish. Just as it took a Democrat to undo Welfare in America, topping off the increasingly privatized prisons of the American Gulag. It is The Great Betrayal.

It's about time we got a left wing lunatic to join our panel of right wing lunatics.

Welcome!

27. Robert Sproul

Follow
    Befriend
    68 threads
    861 comments

87   7:45am Sat 12 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

It's about time we got a left wing lunatic to join our panel of right wing lunatics.

Welcome!

One thing that might be valuable for you, Iwog, is to expand your news sourcing outside of the mainstream sources. The internet is good for more than just self affirming preening on real estate forums.

28. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    53 threads
    2,392 comments
    Premium

88   7:36am Sun 13 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

iwog says

Scagnetti says

@iwog Can you admit that government spending has increased under Obama?

29. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    938 threads
    11,847 comments

89   8:27am Sun 13 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

edvard2 says

sometimes some of ya'll need to get reminded.

How can we possibly forget? You say that like Obama has done Dickall.

30. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    938 threads
    11,847 comments

90   8:36am Sun 13 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

iwog says

Robert Sproul says

In his next 4 years he will negotiate away the social safety net, a deed that no Republican could accomplish. Just as it took a Democrat to undo Welfare in America, topping off the increasingly privatized prisons of the American Gulag. It is The Great Betrayal.

Welcome!

Iwog will you just admit you and Obama have each other on speed dial, and that your relationship is lucrative and nefarious. And that is why you are compelled to attack everyone that is not ramming their tongue up Obama's bunghole?

31. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    387 threads
    20,439 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

91   10:58pm Sun 13 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

The Professor says

Sure it has. At the slowest pace in modern history.

CaptainShuddup says

Iwog will you just admit you and Obama have each other on speed dial, and that your relationship is lucrative and nefarious. And that is why you are compelled to attack everyone that is not ramming their tongue up Obama's bunghole?

I'm much happier with Obama today than I was two years ago. I think he finally understands that he'll never win compromising with evil.

32. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    387 threads
    20,439 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

92   11:01pm Sun 13 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Robert Sproul says

iwog says

Welcome!

One thing that might be valuable for you, Iwog, is to expand your news sourcing outside of the mainstream sources. The internet is good for more than just self affirming preening on real estate forums.

I doubt we disagree on any facts. It's like the 9/11 conspiracy nuts again. If your bubble only accepts the facts that fit your preconceived notions, your conclusions will ALWAYS fit the facts.

33. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    77 threads
    3,225 comments
    Bellingham, WA

93   11:17am Mon 14 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

The Professor says

Sure it has. At the slowest pace in modern history.

one interesting thing is that the Democratic Congress basically front-loaded the spending increases:

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?g=exY

blue line is gov't spending less SSA, Medicare/Medicaid

red line is unemployment bennies (included in blue too)

the graph shows spending has been declining since the House fell to the Republicans, and most of that fall is the decline of EUC.

Spending is back to (or even under) the trendline established during the Bush years -- Bush took a $1T/yr budget and pushed it to $1.4T over 8 years, while Obama has pushed that to $1.5T/yr.

34. carrieon

Follow
    Befriend
    4 threads
    374 comments

94   12:25pm Mon 14 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Forget about Bush and Obama for a second, and take note of these stats from the house and senate from 2000-2010.
    From 2000-2006 when the Republicans controlled the house and senate, the national debt went from 6T-8T.
    From 2006-2010 when the Democrats controlled the house and senate, the national debt went from 8T-15T.

35. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    53 threads
    2,392 comments
    Premium

95   12:51pm Mon 14 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

Tweedly dee, tweedly dum. I can't argue politics.

The truth is government continues to spend. Banks continue to play with funny money. House rents and prices continue to rise. Wages are staying stagnant or going down. Good jobs are being replaced by lower payed service jobs. Government/ Corporate waste and corruption go on unprosecuted.

But it's a beautiful day in sunny California!

36. david1

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    790 comments
    33 male
    Fort Mill, SC

96   1:07pm Mon 14 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

carrieon says

Forget about Bush and Obama for a second, and take note of these stats from
    the house and senate from 2000-2010.
    From 2000-2006 when the Republicans
    controlled the house and senate, the national debt went from 6T-8T.
    From
    2006-2010 when the Democrats controlled the house and senate, the national debt
    went from 8T-15T.

Well, other than those numbers being wrong:

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/histdebt/histdebt_histo5.htm

you are forgetting one very important thing when it comes to debt - the debt is the combination of deficits. Deficits are generated when the government spends more than it takes in revenues.

Considering that tax rates were not lowered in a significant way from 2006-2010, (Payroll tax holiday was passed in Dec 2010 for 2011 tax year) looking at debt and thinking you have something is ignoring factors that may have contributed to the deficit (and debt) that have nothing to do with acts of Congress, like, I don't know, something referred to as the great recession?

You know, like how partisans do when they are trying to make a point?

Remember when tax revenues fell $420B from 2008 to 2009. Considering it revenues were also low in 2010, that is a total of around $850B in additional debt, without a single act of Congress to tie it to.

Subtract that $850B from the 2010 debt of $13.6T and you get $12.75T. Growing the debt from $8.5T to $12.75T (50%) from 2006 - 2010 compares pretty closely with the 50% increase from $5.7T to $8.5T 2000-2006.

Granted it was in two less years...but with added stimulus spending...you get the idea. Or maybe not.

Not that the federal debt seems to be a problem anyway. Rates on the 30 year T Bond are hovering around 3%, within .25% of the all-time low....

37. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    876 threads
    11,088 comments

97   2:04pm Mon 14 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

david1 says

Growing the debt from $8.5T to $12.75T (50%) from 2006 - 2010 compares pretty closely with the 50% increase from $5.7T to $8.5T 2000-2006.

Playing the "percentage" game again instead of looking at actual dollars..... nice way to spin......

38. david1

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    790 comments
    33 male
    Fort Mill, SC

98   5:51am Tue 15 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Call it Crazy says

Playing the "percentage" game again instead of looking at actual dollars.....
    nice way to spin......

Damn liberals using math again....

39. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    876 threads
    11,088 comments

99   7:58am Tue 15 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

david1 says

Call it Crazy says

Playing the "percentage" game again instead of looking at actual dollars.....

nice way to spin......

Damn liberals using math again....

Yep, the liberal way to use percentages.... here's another example using your "math"....

Company A and Company B both sell widgets...

Company A reports "Sales are GREAT and up 100% since last month".

Company A sold one widget last month and sold two this month.

Company B reports "Sales are down, we are only up 1% since last month".

Company B sold 100 widgets last month and sold 101 widgets this month.

So, based on the reports only, which company would you invest in?

How many actual new widgets did each company sell this month? Answer, one!!

See where quoting percentages is totally misleading??

40. david1

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    790 comments
    33 male
    Fort Mill, SC

100   9:57am Tue 15 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Call it Crazy says

So, based on the reports only, which company would you invest in?

Assuming both companies are selling the same "widgets," and the value of company A is 1/50th the value of company B, I would invest in company A.

Also assuming both companies have similar expenses per widget;

Since the market demand for widgets seems to be increasing by 2 per month, Company A will be worth 50 times more than today in 98 months, while Company B would only be worth roughly twice as much as today over the same time period.

I like the returns on Company A much better, thanks.

« First     « Previous comments    

Call it Crazy is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 159 milliseconds to create.