« previous   politics   next »

Profile of a Republican gun lunatic

By iwog   Follow   Mon, 7 Jan 2013, 9:17pm PST   13,196 views   326 comments   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (5)  

This is what we're up against. Just for information purposes, the murder rate from all causes in the United States is 4.8 per 100,000 while the murder rate from all causes in the United Kingdom is 1.2 per 100,000. The United States is the most dangerous country in the 1st world by far. There is no comparison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Tonight Piers Morgan sat down with the creator of a White House petition to get him deported from the United States. Alex Jones was fired up throughout the entire interview, launching into a series of loud tirades against Morgan and gun control every few seconds. Every time Morgan tried to ask a question, Jones continued to pile through with his arguments.

« First     « Previous     Comments 287-326 of 326     Last »

JodyChunder   befriend   ignore   Fri, 11 Jan 2013, 2:41pm PST   Share   Quote   Like (3)   Dislike     Comment 287

iwog says

1. I'm never hypocritical.

Of course you are. It's ok, you're human. Even the simplest jerk contains multitudes.

iwog   befriend   ignore   Fri, 11 Jan 2013, 2:45pm PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 288

JodyChunder says

iwog says

Of course you are. It's ok, you're human. Even the simplest jerk contains multitudes.

Well if someone wants to make a case of my hypocrisy, he's welcome to present it. What ForcedTQ posted doesn't qualify.

JodyChunder   befriend   ignore   Fri, 11 Jan 2013, 3:03pm PST   Share   Quote   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 289

iwog says

Well if someone wants to make a case of my hypocrisy, he's welcome to present it.

Well, I contradict myself all the time, and then vindicate myself with dandy quotes like:

Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds - Emerson.

bg   befriend   ignore   Fri, 11 Jan 2013, 3:07pm PST   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 290

mell says

Also I don't think it is as easy as taking someones debate demeanor as a predictability of violent acts

I don't mean to take his debate demeanor as an indication of violence. It was the other video on his website where he talks about being followed on the street during his trip that seemed psychotic to me. By psychotic I mean paranoid. Folks with psychosis are no more likely to kill other people than those who are not psychotic.

He looked ill to me.
mell says

maybe he really felt so strongly about this issue that it came from his heart.

I respect the fact that Alex Jones' may have been speaking from his heart and that he had a passion for the topic. I also thought I saw something more in the second clip on Alex Jones' website that looked like psychosis to me.

I also really value each person's individuality, quirks, disagreements and all of the messy things that people are. I certainly don't see psych meds as a panacea for the pains of existence. I am saying that this guy in the clip on his website looked like he was psychotic and paranoid. I want him to be a better advocate for what he believes in. I would be really interested in his history and a trial of medications.

Mell, I hope this falls into "friendly discussion" for us.

bg   befriend   ignore   Fri, 11 Jan 2013, 3:17pm PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 291

leo707 says

Yes, it could have been due to a number of issues

Since 1985 we have many more violent video games and a more casual approach to violence on TV and movies. Couldn't that figure in here, too?

thomaswong.1986   befriend   ignore   Fri, 11 Jan 2013, 4:31pm PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 292

Moderate Infidel says

I doubt most intruders are breaking into homes with m16's.

caught on video... sure looks like one! good thing the homeowner had a automatic..

SoftShell   befriend   ignore   Fri, 11 Jan 2013, 11:15pm PST   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike (3)     Comment 293

why would anyone want to make a case out of something that has already been demonstrably proven in spades??

iwog says

JodyChunder says

iwog says

Well if someone wants to make a case of my hypocrisy, he's welcome to present it. What ForcedTQ posted doesn't qualify.

David Losh   befriend   ignore   Sat, 12 Jan 2013, 1:39am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 294

msilenus says

It really is an interesting point of view.

I agree, but he also cherry picked his quotes from the era.

There are many quotes of citizens presenting military weapons for inspection. That wasn't the focus that he had.

He also never addressed side arms.

So I don't see in his opinion where he is banning guns, or taking guns away, he simply set parameters for having the guns.

David Losh   befriend   ignore   Sat, 12 Jan 2013, 1:40am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 295

SoftShell says

and if you want hunting weapons, you should buy a knife....

guns are for pussys...

Real men hunt men, only pussies hunt animals.

SoftShell   befriend   ignore   Sat, 12 Jan 2013, 2:43am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (3)     Comment 296

Real men hunt out of absolute necessity.
Pussys hunt with guns for sport.

David Losh says

SoftShell says

and if you want hunting weapons, you should buy a knife....

guns are for pussys...

Real men hunt men, only pussies hunt animals.

Moderate Infidel   befriend   ignore   Sat, 12 Jan 2013, 2:59am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 297

thomaswong.1986 says

Moderate Infidel says

caught on video... sure looks like one! good thing the homeowner had a automatic..

And bullets struck the neighbors house, possibly the bullets from the homeowners gun. Again a dog and shotgun would suffice cause obviously his aim wasn't so good. Also, What was in that house that four men heavily armed would want to storm it during the day? The fact he had surveillance cameras and was heavily armed seems a bit suspicious. Drug dealer perhaps?

The Professor   befriend   ignore   Sat, 12 Jan 2013, 4:00am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 298

Moderate Infidel says

Drug dealer perhaps?

More likely gun collector.

Raw   befriend   ignore   Sat, 12 Jan 2013, 5:57am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 299

http://www.tetrahedron.org/articles/info_schedule_battle/Anti_Government_Phobia.html

The Professor   befriend   ignore   Sat, 12 Jan 2013, 6:43am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 300

Raw says

http://www.tetrahedron.org/articles/info_schedule_battle/Anti_Government_Phobia.html

Got it! I think it's spreading!

msilenus   befriend   ignore   Sat, 12 Jan 2013, 7:33am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 301

David Losh says

I agree, but he also cherry picked his quotes from the era.

There are many quotes of citizens presenting military weapons for inspection. That wasn't the focus that he had.

He also never addressed side arms.

So I don't see in his opinion where he is banning guns, or taking guns away, he simply set parameters for having the guns.

Being the author of a majority opinion in a supreme court case means you can cherry-pick all you want. The only checks and balances on your behavior are your fellow justices, and the right of the executive to appoint successors after a quorum of your co-signers die of old age. Cherry picking or no, this is what the second amendment means until the grim reaper weighs in.

You're right that he's not taking away guns. He's actually overturning a law because it took away a particular kind of gun that he felt fell under the amendment. As CDon noted, a big part of what he's doing is saying where that protection ends. That means where on the weapon spectrum the government can start instituting bans, and what the government can do to regulate even protected weapons. He's obviously not legislating an AWB from the bench. But he's carving out enough room for Congress to write a new one, or to enact any number of other laws.

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   befriend   ignore   Sat, 12 Jan 2013, 11:19am PST   Share   Quote   Like (4)   Dislike     Comment 302

thomaswong.1986 says

Moderate Infidel says

This is why anything less than automatic weapons with belt-fed ammo should be illegal.

Think of the deterrent value of the same scenario, but the home owner cuts down these fuckers with a 50 caliber machine gun, lurches out into the drive way to chase down the last ones standing by the car and saws them into bits, bone and meat spraying the yard, driveway and street.

Then, in a show of total victory, he yanks chunks of their bodies off and throws the prizes to the neighborhood dogs.

Neighborhood Watch!

Booyah!

MMR   befriend   ignore   Sat, 12 Jan 2013, 12:24pm PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 303

Ok fair enough. But I'm glad you were able to address where Jones was factually incorrect. I take it Ron Dellums is more your style?

leo707 says

MMR says

Mental illness have been around for a long time and guns have been around for a long time, but mass shootings without a clear motive are a relatively new occurrence.

Guns and drugs aside spree killing has been going on a very long time. The term "run amok" has been around hundreds of years.

MMR   befriend   ignore   Sat, 12 Jan 2013, 12:25pm PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 304

Last time I checked California has the strictest anti-gun policies in the US. Working wonders up in East O.

MMR says

Ok fair enough. But I'm glad you were able to address where Jones was factually incorrect. I take it Ron Dellums is more your style?

leo707 says

MMR says

Mental illness have been around for a long time and guns have been around for a long time, but mass shootings without a clear motive are a relatively new occurrence.

Guns and drugs aside spree killing has been going on a very long time. The term "run amok" has been around hundreds of years.

Moderate Infidel   befriend   ignore   Sat, 12 Jan 2013, 1:33pm PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 305

MMR says

Last time I checked California has the strictest anti-gun policies in the US. Working wonders up in East O.

MMR says

leo707 says

MMR says

making a law that requires a criminal background check isn't "anti-gun". it's anti-criminal because "guns don't kill people, criminals do."

I live in Cali and bought two guns legally no problem. I'm also not a criminal. Yet.

Them damn kids better git off my lawn!

iwog   befriend   ignore   Sat, 12 Jan 2013, 1:42pm PST   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 306

MMR says

Bullshit. Almost any handgun can still be legally purchased and owned in California while they are by permit only in New York and Massachusetts. In Washington DC they are outright banned.

Just keep making stuff up. It's what Republicans are good at.

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Sun, 13 Jan 2013, 12:12am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 307

iwog says

MMR says

Bullshit. Almost any handgun can still be legally purchased and owned in California while they are by permit only in New York and Massachusetts. In Washington DC they are outright banned.

Just keep making stuff up. It's what Republicans are good at.

CA is an interesting situation in that we have strict gun laws by US standards (the strictest in the country according to some), although quite weak on an absolute scale or compared to anywhere else in the world. Yes, that includes Switzerland and Israel. During the last 10 years California has gone from having one of the highest rates of gun deaths to one of the lowest (for example compare 2004 to 2012).
The states with the highest rates of gun deaths per capita are Louisiana Mississippi and Alaska, all of which have very weak gun laws. No one statistic tells the whole story, but there is some reason to believe that the types of laws we have here in Cali do some good, while still allowing widespread gun ownership.

Bellingham Bill   befriend   ignore   Mon, 14 Jan 2013, 3:37am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 308

>Last time I checked California has the strictest anti-gun policies in the US. Working wonders up in East O.

yes, yes they did work in East Oakland not to long ago

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/30/AR2010073003254.html

rightwing nutball wasn't able to get the guns he really wanted, so he was unable to take out the cops who stopped him.

dublin hillz   befriend   ignore   Mon, 14 Jan 2013, 3:45am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 309

East O has a generational cultural issue when it comes to homicides/violence and gun control or lack there of over there will not be on any meaningful consequence.

thomaswong.1986   befriend   ignore   Mon, 14 Jan 2013, 1:07pm PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (2)     Comment 310

Boom in Daly City Cross roads Gun Show...

Estimated 10,000 attend gun show at Cow Palace.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/peninsula&id=8951843

DALY CITY, Calif. (KGO) -- There were huge lines and long waits to buy guns and ammunition at a gun show in Daly City Saturday. Organizers and attendees say the reason for the turnout is the fear the government is going to take their guns away, or at least impose heavy restrictions.

Gun show organizers say they had record attendance, about 10,000 thousand people showed up at the Cow Palace. The people we spoke to said they came because they fear that the president's task force on guns will result in tighter restrictions on ammunition, clips, and especially assault weapons.

"I cannot believe the number of people and cars," said gun show attendee Bob Daziel.

Daziel is as shocked at the turnout as are organizers of the Crossroads of the West Gun Show at the Cow Palace. Thousands of people came to Daly City, many of them for the same reason and the same concern.

Jayleen Heres just bought an AR15 assault rifle, "That's why we all need to get 'em now before they take 'em away." When asked if he has more at home, Heres answered, "I have three more at home this is the fourth.

thomaswong.1986   befriend   ignore   Mon, 14 Jan 2013, 1:12pm PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (2)     Comment 311

Tweet inShare
Bay Area gun show draws record crowd, odd items, colorful charactersiwog says

Profile of a Republican gun lunatic

oh !

Bay Area gun show draws record crowd, odd items, colorful characters

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_22363391/bay-area-gun-show-draws-record-crowd-odd

Sure, among the thousands of people attending the Crossroads of the West Gun Show at the Cow Palace in Daly City, there were plenty of conservatives wearing camouflage hats and touting rifles. But there were also many women buying stun guns and parents pushing kids in strollers. Children younger than 12 got in free, and one young boy who walked out proclaimed his love for the show by exclaiming "how fun!"

There were even some of the left-leaning folks the Bay Area is famous for.

That included San Jose resident Steve Cozens, a self-described liberal who had plenty of skateboarding gear, including the Vans shoes he wore as he walked out with a pack of bullets for the two rifles he's building.

"If there's a mob of 50 people coming down the street, and they've just burned five or six houses, I'm not going to wait for them to come to my house," said Cozens, a 50-year-old father who recently overcame his "intimidation" of guns and now thinks his Second Amendment rights are in danger.

JodyChunder   befriend   ignore   Mon, 14 Jan 2013, 1:12pm PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 312

thomaswong.1986 says

"I cannot believe the number of people and cars," said gun show attendee Bob Daziel.

Gun shows. Ha! Buncha bored fucks without much in the way of imagination or introspection.

I shoot cans in the desert. (Shoot, I drink my dessert from a can.) But gun shows are for only the worst sadsackssonofabitches.

thomaswong.1986   befriend   ignore   Mon, 14 Jan 2013, 1:15pm PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (2)     Comment 313

JodyChunder says

But gun shows are for only the worst sadsackssonofabitches.

In Daly City or San Jose.. you might get a couple hundred.. to get 10K its news alright..

JodyChunder   befriend   ignore   Mon, 14 Jan 2013, 1:20pm PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 314

Just losers, though. I bought all my guns like any lard-hearted, red-blooded American man would - on the black market (from the trunk of a '77 Monte Carlo in Death Valley). If you could compare the rosters of gun show attendees with the roster of the latest NAMBLA convention, you'd see perfect parallels. At least in San Jose, which, no offense, is like pussy mecca.

SoftShell   befriend   ignore   Mon, 14 Jan 2013, 1:20pm PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (3)     Comment 315

10k ain't news....this is news..

http://www.calexpo.com/events/crossroads-of-the-west-gun-show/

David Losh   befriend