Hair club for men

By Quigley   Follow   Sun, 13 Jan 2013, 9:20am   880 views   11 comments
In Huntington Beach CA 92647   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Ok so I'm going to break the silence, nut up, and admit it. I am slowly going bald.
It sucks because I used to have some pretty decent hair. But ever since I turned 27 and a small bald patch began to creep over my crown, I knew it wasn't going to last.

What I've seen from the community at large runs the gambit. Half of my coworkers are bald or going so. Shaving your head and going "skin" is the "in your face I am what I am and I am proud" way of dealing with this. Comb overs are nasty and I don't know anyone who does that. Some do wear hats instead. Some may even still do wigs, since I see ads for those at times.

But others, like myself, want to keep their hair. Maybe you have a head that isn't the most shapely or symmetrical. Maybe you just enjoy a trip to the barber. Maybe you want to seem younger or better looking or something. Maybe it's cold outside and you need some insulation! Whatever your reason for wanting your hair back, it's valid. Your body is your own and you shouldn't feel bad for doing what you like with it.

So we come to treatments. There are a LOT of supposed things that supposedly work. But there is a LOT of ads and outright lies and misinformation out there. The balding male community is huge and the money to be made draws hucksters of every stripe like fruit flies to a day-old banana. What I want is reliable information on what works and what is a waste of money and what should be never attempted! Experience counts here. Please share yours.

I have been using Rogaine for about 7 years. My hair in front has stabilized, and looks decent. The balding on my crown has continued to slowly progress. I don't see it much, but it's pretty obvious to anyone behind me that I've got hair loss there. This is the only treatment I've been using. My assessment is that rogaine has slowed the hair loss to a creep, done pretty well actually, but it's no cure. I use the foam and apply it every day. It's taken the place of hair gel, and takes hardly any time to use.

My brother also has hair loss and he hasn't been using rogaine. He's quite a bit more bald than me.

My cousin went bald but then had new hair transplanted from elsewhere. It looks great, but he says its way overly sensitive! Like the wind blows and it's agonizing. Wierd! I don't think it would be worth it! Not sure if that is a common side effect or not.

Please give your honest experiences! Hopefully we can crowd source this thing a bit to cut through the BS and find some truth. Thanks . . .

Viewing Comments 1-11 of 11     Last »     See most liked comments

1. MershedPerturders

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    21 threads
    493 comments

1   1:15pm Sun 13 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

try spray-on scalp! you get laid in no time!

not only memeber also client.

2. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    718 threads
    9,914 comments

2   4:00pm Sun 13 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Quigley says

My cousin went bald but then had new hair transplanted from elsewhere. It looks great, but he...

Elsewhere?
    Well is it short and curly?

I dated a Nurse for a while when I was younger. She worked with an Agency, that placed her at different clinics and hospitals for day or week long gigs.

She came home one day stressed out and drank about a whole pint of Stoli before she even was able to sit down. She did a gig for a Hair loss clinic. She said one patient had a procedure, where his Bald front had a football section piece cut out of it, then the Dr took a thin narrow long spread knife and crammed in between his scalp and skull and worked all of his scalp skin loose from the skull, then proceeded to pull it to the front and stitched it closed. She said the guy came out of anastesia and was winching, which was making her wince.

Another way was they would take a small diameter plug of hair out of inconspicuous areas, separate each follicle, then implant them one by one more spread out over the obvious bald spot.

3. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    456 threads
    7,650 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

3   4:22pm Sun 13 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)   Protected  

A guy I know had snaps implanted in his scalp and literally snaps his hair pieces on. They're not sensitive and he has been so happy with it over the past 20 years.

I don't know what they're called but it looks pretty natural. His wife likes it.

4. B.A.C.A.H.

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    8 threads
    2,720 comments

4   4:56pm Sun 13 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The thinner my hair gets, the shorter I get it cut. To look neat. No combovers for me.

Combovers are pathetic.

5. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    107 threads
    4,071 comments

5   5:02pm Sun 13 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

I'm surprised nobody mentioned finasteride, the only pill ever approved for alopecia. It's available cheaply OTC in Mexico and many other countries, but it's part of the Rx regime in the USA so it costs many times more here.

6. turtledove

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    38 threads
    552 comments
    Premium

6   6:45pm Sun 13 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike   Protected  

Curious2 said exactly what I was going to say... I thought Propecia increased hair growth. That said...

I know you don't want to hear this... But, don't obsess over your hair loss. I don't know your personal situation (married or single).... Any girl with a brain isn't going to care one wit about your hair. Now I say this as a former cheerleader, popular type. I've dated the gorgeous but complacent.... I'll tell you... What makes an intelligent woman fall for a guy is a meeting of the minds. A guy who has the power to move people. A dumbass with lush hair is still a dumbass. Personally I find the vacuous stare of stupidity to cause brain cell loss. Own your look. Confidence is sexy and ageless. Just my very humble opinion. Sermon over.

7. Moderate Infidel

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    712 comments

7   7:00pm Sun 13 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Your normal, everyone else is disgustingly hairy.

8. everything

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    3 threads
    720 comments

8   7:30pm Sun 13 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Of course you want to keep your hair, losing your hair is the number one insecurity known to man, and your post has that written all over it.

I got my patch right when I turned 21, quite the stinger when I was young and insecure, looking to meet girls at the clubs/bars.

What works best is to get a decent head shaver and every two weeks cut it all to length, looks great all around, have not paid for a haircut in probably 15 years. And, I do a better job myself, I had my arm in a sling once and had to pay for it and she missed a couple of spots!, and all I wanted was shave it all off. I don't go skin!, I'm not shaving down to the skin every single day, or even for anyone, what is that?, another disguise for your thin or balding head?

What's funny, and if your tall, clumsy, or like to drink a few to many now and then, then it especially happens, you hit your head on something and people will notice the scratch or scab and say, what did you hit your head on?

I talked with doctors about it, sure it bummed me out, but I was not about to start dumping chemicals into my body, or on my body in order to fight my genetic disposition or mother nature. It's just a ploy to get your money, eventually you'll give up on the product, or decide the side effects are just not worth it, and with implants, well, lol, you'll have to just keep getting them as life goes by, eventually you'll probably look like a complete freak.

At some point, some age in life, like I said, the vanity will wear off and you'll stop spending money on something as foolish as keeping your hair, but do what you want, women do the breast implants, I see more and more body augmentation shops around, everyone wants to be a star.

I call it pre-occupation.

9. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    764 threads
    6,557 comments
    Baltimore, MD

9   7:07am Wed 16 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Obligatory:

10. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    764 threads
    6,557 comments
    Baltimore, MD

10   7:08am Wed 16 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

11. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    423 threads
    2,754 comments

11   7:14am Wed 16 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Well, my dad's side of the family all have great hair. All have a full head of hair-right upto their 70s and 80s. My uncle did not even start greying till his late 50s. My mom's side on the other hand-even the women don't have good hair!! So far, looks like I take after my dad's side-we shall see.

Quigley is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 81 milliseconds to create.