'Imitation Calamari' made of Pork

By zzyzzx   Follow   Fri, 18 Jan 2013, 6:42am   844 views   13 comments
In Baltimore MD 21230   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/16/imitation-calamari-sliced-pig-rectum_n_2482063.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

'Imitation Calamari' Investigated By 'This American Life,' Suggested To Have Dubious, Pork-Based Origin

Though it has a shape and texture similar to the real thing, its component parts are decidedly different. While calamari comes from squid, the replica is supposedly made of hog rectum, otherwise known as "bung."

What's more, Steve Haruch, a journalist for the Nashville Scene, claims to have chowed down on pork bung and concluded, "prepared the right way, it could pass for calamari."

That said, a disconcerting report from Oceana, an ocean conservation watchdog, notes that seafood fraud occurs at shocking levels in major metropolitan areas, including Boston (48 percent), Los Angeles (55 percent), Miami (31 percent), and New York City (39 percent).

The group concluded that seafood fraud can happen at any step of a product's supply chain -- the restaurant, the distributor, or the processing and packaging phase.

I guess once it's fried, nobody notices and difference?

Viewing Comments 1-13 of 13     Last »     See most liked comments

1. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    724 threads
    10,008 comments

1   7:03am Fri 18 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

That's some damn fine example of taking a sow's ear and making a silk purse right there. I mean if they can take chicharon and make it look let alone taste like squid. Then I'm all for it. These people should win a Nobel Peace prize. But the real ones they keep in the back, that are reserved for the people that actually did Dickall.

2. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    425 threads
    2,766 comments

2   7:36am Fri 18 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

eek-I could have been eating pork's rectum when I went to the Chinese buffet?

3. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    767 threads
    6,589 comments
    Baltimore, MD

3   7:49am Fri 18 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

lostand confused says

Or worse.

4. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    724 threads
    10,008 comments

4   8:11am Fri 18 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

lostand confused says

See THAT'S why I always go for tentacles. You can't forge those.
    Though when you consider the cheap cost of squid, and the availability compared to entrails, it doesn't add up. I mean there are actually cultures that eat pork rectums, and they are also used as sausage casings. I would suspect that either price or volume would be prohibitive. Even Veal hearts, used for Antacucho a Peruvian delicacy has gotten out of hand over the last 10 years. We used to buy a case for like $12 which had about 5 to 6 hearts in it. Now you can only find them in single half sections. And you'll pay about $5.00 for that half a heart.

It's like people that suspect a Chinese restaurant could serve Cat consistently. When a place that has a high turn over would need about 3 or 4 cats a day. That would be a hard feat to round up that many feral cats in a given day. And to raise that many cats to maturity would also be cost prohibitive, have you seen the price of Cat food these days?

There are plenty of outlets that sells inferior beef, pork, or chicken cuts, for a hell of a lot cheaper than those alternative ways. And truth be told, you would probably be better off eating cat.

5. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    767 threads
    6,589 comments
    Baltimore, MD

5   8:51am Fri 18 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

CaptainShuddup says

It's like people that suspect a Chinese restaurant could serve Cat consistently. When a place that has a high turn over would need about 3 or 4 cats a day. That would be a hard feat to round up that many feral cats in a given day. And to raise that many cats to maturity would also be cost prohibitive, have you seen the price of Cat food these days?

Obligatory:

6. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    117 threads
    17,989 comments

6   9:52am Fri 18 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I only eat whole squids at Japanese restaurants.

7. Homeboy

Follow
    Befriend
    39 threads
    3,546 comments

7   10:54am Fri 18 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

Though when you consider the cheap cost of squid, and the availability compared to entrails, it doesn't add up.

Reminds me of the persistent rumor going around many years ago that McDonald's put ground up worms in their Big Macs. A lot of people believed it, until someone pointed out that worms actually cost more per pound than ground beef.

8. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    767 threads
    6,589 comments
    Baltimore, MD

8   11:31am Fri 18 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

It's a potential solution to our overfishing (really overpopulation) problem.

9. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    117 threads
    17,989 comments

9   12:48pm Fri 18 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

It is overpopulation.

We have not seen the full effect yet because much of the world is dirt poor. If the so-called middle class expands massively as some optimists suggest, we will have a problem of biblical proportion.

Population growth only benefits rent seekers.

10. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,892 comments
    San Jose, CA

10   3:04pm Fri 18 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Peter P says

Population growth only benefits rent seekers.

And organized religion.

11. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    240 threads
    873 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

11   5:22pm Fri 18 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

you haven't lived until you have had Deep Fried Puppy served with Hot Garlic Sauce.

12. HEY YOU

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    832 threads
    2,041 comments

12   7:10pm Fri 18 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

That pic looks almost as good as Granny's Chitlins. They were always great, fresh from a hog killing.

13. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    357 threads
    9,748 comments

13   8:09pm Fri 18 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

When people come over late to the White House after the chef goes off duty, Obama just throws white babies in the fryolator and serves them up with home-brewed White House ale.

zzyzzx is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 104 milliseconds to create.