« previous   misc   next »

Opinions on SODA?

By Patrick   Follow   Fri, 18 Jan 2013, 10:03am PST   12,687 views   151 comments
Watch (3)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

My wife bought me a Sodastream water carbonator and I like it because I can make fizzy water for about 30 cents a liter instead of paying $1 a liter in the store. OTOH I was kind of annoyed at their proprietary bottles and connectors which really do nothing more than hold and dispense carbon dioxide, but cost $15 to refill.

I'm getting kind of a good deal, but they're getting a really good deal because I know it can't cost more than $1 for them to refill that thing.

So... instead of being annoyed, I looked up the stock (SODA) and they have no debt, a P/E of 25, and seem to be growing rapidly. I bought some of the stock today. Mistake? What am I missing?

« First     « Previous     Comments 112-151 of 151     Last »

bgamall4   Mon, 13 Jan 2014, 1:58am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 112

I am so happy that this Palestinian company (products made on Palestinian land), which claims to be from Israel instead, got a beatdown in the stock market today.

SFace   Mon, 13 Jan 2014, 2:29am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 113

Mgmt is guiding a flat Q4 and likely a loss in Q1. There it goes based on cheap PE argument, (it's now expensive because forward earnings are poof, lol)

FY14 quarter estimate of 3.24 or so may be off by, I don't know, $3.00.

zzyzzx   Mon, 13 Jan 2014, 4:45am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 114

Down to $37.44/sh

zzyzzx   Wed, 5 Feb 2014, 1:37am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 115

Down to $35.65/sh

http://news.yahoo.com/canadian-minister-wades-sodastream-row-093112689.html

Canadian minister wades into SodaStream row

Ottawa (AFP) - The employment minister of Canada, a strong supporter of Israel, has waded into the spat over Oxfam breaking with US actress Scarlett Johansson for endorsing an Israeli soft drink firm that operates in the occupied West Bank.

Minister Jason Kenney, who is also minister of multiculturalism in Canada, extended an ironic thank you to Oxfam for bringing the Israeli firm SodaStream to his attention.

Last week Johansson made headlines when she quit her role as Oxfam ambassador after the NGO said her promotion of SodaStream was "incompatible" with her role at the international aid agency.

SodaStream, which manufactures machines for making carbonated drinks at home, has 25 factories around the world, including one that operates in a settlement east of Jerusalem.

"Bought a nice @SodaStream unit at the @HudsonsBayCo. Thanks to @Oxfam for the tip," the minister said in a tweet.

Oxfam calls for a boycott of any Israeli firm operating in settlements in the occupied West Bank, which are illegal under international law.

The minister's message also featured a photo of a SodaStream beverage machine with its brand name clearly visible.

It also bore the letters "BDSfail" in reference to the campaign calling for "boycott, divestment, sanctions" of Israeli products and goods.

Canada is a strong backer of Israel, and Prime Minister Stephen Harper visited Israel late last month.

smaulgld   Wed, 5 Feb 2014, 11:00pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 116

Coca Cola to enter home soda market http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2014/02/05/bad-news-for-sodastream-the-elephant-has-entered-the-room/

zzyzzx   Thu, 6 Feb 2014, 12:39am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 117

smaulgld says

Coca Cola to enter home soda market http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2014/02/05/bad-news-for-sodastream-the-elephant-has-entered-the-room/

Pepsi thinking about it too.

zzyzzx   Tue, 27 May 2014, 5:25am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 118

Just hit with some more downgrades.

clambo   Tue, 27 May 2014, 5:40am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 119

The Soda gadget may be fun to use but if you are interested in an investment, buy Coke.

zzyzzx   Fri, 27 Jun 2014, 12:49am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 120

SODA Down to 33.35/sh

clambo says

The Soda gadget may be fun to use but if you are interested in an investment, buy Coke.

So true. Coke is at 42.24/sh

zzyzzx   Mon, 14 Jul 2014, 3:32am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 121

SODA down to $29.00/sh!

Peter P   Mon, 14 Jul 2014, 4:09am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 122

Most people drink soda NOT because they want fizzy water. It is a consumption of brand.

Does Starbucks sell coffee? Or does it sell an emotion?

komputodo   Sun, 20 Jul 2014, 8:20am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 123

FortWayne says

I'll probably buy their shares, have to look into P/E. They do have potential.

FortWayne says

komputodo says

Does making or losing money in any way relate to stock prices?

Long term... yes.

Ah, to be so naive...My post was almost a year ago..what exactly is LONG TERM to you?

zzyzzx   Thu, 24 Jul 2014, 2:30am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 124

Going private for around $40/share.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sodastream-buyout-talks-bloomberg-160646571.html

jvolstad   Thu, 24 Jul 2014, 2:52am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 125

Society of Demented (Real Estate) Agents?

(SODA)

zzyzzx   Tue, 30 Sep 2014, 11:47pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 126

Back down to $29.16/sh

zzyzzx   Wed, 1 Oct 2014, 4:23am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 127

New 52 week low today!

$27.85/sh - down by more then 5%!

zzyzzx   Mon, 6 Oct 2014, 11:28pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 128

Down in pre-market trading:

$22.60 Down $4.97 (18.03%) 9:25AM EDT

http://www.forbes.com/sites/samanthasharf/2014/10/07/sodastream-shares-plunge-to-all-time-low-on-53-income-decline/

SodaStream Shares Plunge To All-Time Low On 53% Income Decline

Shares of SodaStream International were down close to 18% in pre-market trading Tuesday setting up the stock to open below $23 for the first time ever. The stock’s previously low of $27.44 was hit on Monday as shares were down 42.7% year-to-date before the morning plunge.

In a preliminary earnings report released Tuesday SodaStream estimated its third quarter revenue will come in at $125 million, down 13.5% from the same period last year and more than $25 million short of Wall Street analysts’ consensus call for modest year-over-year growth. The home carbonation system maker says its operating income will be approximately $8.5 million, down 52.8% from the same period last year.

The Israeli company’s 2014 woes began in early January when, in a preliminary earnings release similar to Tuesday’s, it told investors 2013 earnings would be 23% lower than it had forecast earlier. Things appeared to be getting worse in February when Coca-Cola and Green Mountain Coffee announced a partnership to develop an at-home soda making system.

Blurtman   Mon, 6 Oct 2014, 11:58pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 129

SODA flat today.

zzyzzx   Tue, 7 Oct 2014, 1:57am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 130

Blurtman says

SODA flat today.

SODA lost it's fizzle months ago.

bgamall4   Tue, 7 Oct 2014, 2:10am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 131

zzyzzx says

Blurtman says

SODA flat today.

SODA lost it's fizzle moths ago.

It is fizz, not fizzle. :)

komputodo   Tue, 7 Oct 2014, 2:31am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 132

zzyzzx says

The Israeli company’s 2014 woes began in early January when, in a preliminary earnings release similar to Tuesday’s, it told investors 2013 earnings would be 23% lower than it had forecast earlier.

What's wrong with those israelis? Don't they know that all they have to do is a share buyback? They could buy back every outstanding share except one and then any sales they made would look great on their EPS statement.

komputodo   Tue, 7 Oct 2014, 2:33am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 133

bgamall4 says

zzyzzx says

Blurtman says

SODA flat today.

Fizzle is how Snoop Dog would say it.. Like "Sodizzle losts it's fizzle"

Call it Crazy   Tue, 7 Oct 2014, 2:36am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)     Comment 134

zzyzzx says

Blurtman says

SODA flat today.

"Moths" drink soda??

komputodo   Tue, 7 Oct 2014, 2:44am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 135

bgamall4 says

zzyzzx says

Blurtman says

SODA flat today.

Fizzle is how Snoop Dog would say it.. Like "Sodizzle losts it's fizzle"
bgamall4 says

There are times when you have to take a moral stand, you dumb bruin.

An occupation has traditionally been looked upon as a form of slavery.

How easy it is to take a moral stand by not buying a product that you wouldn't buy anyways...It looks good on paper though.

zzyzzx   Tue, 7 Oct 2014, 3:20am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 136

Down to $21.79/sh

I still want to know if anyone here actually bought this POS stock.

zzyzzx   Wed, 8 Oct 2014, 3:41am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 137

Down some more:
$20.58/sh Down 0.95(4.39%) 1:39PM EDT

FortWayne   Sat, 11 Oct 2014, 3:09am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 138

I like their soda machine, but their syrups need serious work. They could be so much better if they improved on that. I'm going to send them an email as a consumer and as a shareholder (ha!).

zzyzzx   Fri, 2 Jan 2015, 9:57am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 139

Closed under $20/sh!

$19.72

zzyzzx   Mon, 23 Feb 2015, 12:29pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 140

Below $18/sh now!
17.92 Down 0.81(4.33%) 3:28PM EST - Nasdaq Real Time Price

jvolstad   Mon, 23 Feb 2015, 12:58pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 141

I buy cases of soda at Costco from time to time. It usually breaks down to around 28 cents a 12-oz can. I use my Costco AE card which give me 2% off.

Blurtman   Mon, 23 Feb 2015, 1:26pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 142

Lately my pee has been coming out carbonated. Is that a problem?

zzyzzx   Mon, 23 Feb 2015, 5:07pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 143

Blurtman says

Lately my pee has been coming out carbonated. Is that a problem?

It might help keep your toilet clean.

zzyzzx   Wed, 25 Feb 2015, 7:55am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 144

Down again!
17.34 Down 1.55(8.21%) 10:53AM EST - Nasdaq Real Time Price

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13058131/1/sodastream-international-soda-drops-today-on-fourth-quarter-revenue-miss.html
SodaStream International (SODA) Stock Drops Today on Fourth-Quarter Revenue Miss

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of SodaStream International (SODA - Get Report) fell 8.47% to $17.29 in morning trading Wednesday after the home carbonation product manufacturer reported its fourth-quarter earnings.

Adjusted earnings soared to $7.5 million, or 35 cents a share, from $700,000, or 3 cents a share, from the same period one year earlier. This beat the FactSet consensus estimate of earnings of 17 cents a share.

Revenue dropped to $126.5 million from $168.1 million, which missed the FactSet consensus estimate of $127.1 million. The company cited decreased demand for sparkling water makers and flavors in the U.S. during the holiday season.

HEY YOU   Wed, 25 Feb 2015, 9:26am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 145

Patrick,
We all gamble trying to make a easy fiat. I spend a $1 on the lottery & never miss by more than 6 numbers.

Patrick   Thu, 26 Feb 2015, 6:48am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 146

Ah well, it was a fun gamble. They had a few things going for them, like a product that's really useful, but what they did not have was a dividend.

Lesson learned (yet again): never buy any stock that does not pay a dividend.

SFace   Thu, 26 Feb 2015, 7:10am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 147

The product was not useful. Making your own soda taste nasty and people gave up on it. Hence revenue dropped like a mofo.

But companies with increasing dividends are winners. So dividends can go up or down. If you get the latter , you will lose $$ just as easy.

Patrick   Thu, 26 Feb 2015, 8:52am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 148

it works perfectly if all you want is fizzy water.

sure, dividends can go up or down, but a company that is consistently paying out a dividend has proved it has some real earning power, and the guts to return some of its cash to the rightful owners, the shareholders. without that, it's much less certain that the company should even exist (from the shareholder's point of view).

money talks.

zzyzzx   Thu, 26 Feb 2015, 10:45am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 149

I only buy stocks that pay dividends!!! I have no defined benefit pension plan, and never will. My plan is to just buy dividend paying stocks. When I have enough income from them, I can retire, or just not give a shit if I have a job or not.

CDon   Thu, 26 Feb 2015, 6:29pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 150

Patrick says

Ah well, it was a fun gamble

I find it remarkable in that during a time when the market went up approx. 30%, you managed to find (and invest in) a stock that lost over 60% of its value. This (and your decision not to buy 15 years ago in Palo Alto) are your only two publicly announced financial moves. Are you always so snakebitten?

zzyzzx   Wed, 6 May 2015, 9:03am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 151

17.77 Down 1.34(7.01%) 12:01PM EDT - Nasdaq Real Time Price

SodaStream Revenue Falls on Currency Headwinds, Low Demand

« First     « Previous comments    

Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email

home   top   share   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net