Innocent man imprisoned for 20 months. Guns do nothing to help him.

By Dan8267   Follow   Sun, 20 Jan 2013, 6:21pm   1,608 views   47 comments
In Boca Raton FL 33433   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

After 20 months in jail, cleric returns with relief, not bitterness, over flimsy terrorism charges

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-01-19/news/fl-margate-mosque-mayocol-b012013-20130119_1_izhar-khan-jamaat-al-mumineen-mosque-cleric-returns

Now, how exactly would being well-armed with assault rifles and high-capacity magazines have helped Izhar Khan? He'd had been killed by the police and gone down in history as a terrorist if he had guns.

Where are all the militias protecting innocent American citizens like Izhar Khan and his elderly, handicapped father from the tyrants in our government? Why aren't the create protectors of freedom trying to rescue Izhar's father, another innocent man? If guns mean freedom, then prove it.

« First     « Previous     Viewing Comments 8-47 of 47     Last »     See most liked comments

1. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

8   11:55pm Sun 20 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (3)  

Vicente says

Thanks for coming out.

certainly would include foreign nationalists..
    since the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to non- US citizens.

2. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    423 threads
    2,754 comments

9   5:29am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

Vicente says

Thanks for coming out.

certainly would include foreign nationalists..
    since the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to non- US citizens.

Maybe I misunderstand, but are you saying any non-white is a not a US citizen?

3. errc

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    46 threads
    2,344 comments
    32 male

10   7:07am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (5)   Dislike  

Kevin says

I think you misunderstand: The pro-gun crowd isn't in favor of non-white people having guns.

There's some gun control people could get behind

The same fools insist that the police and military be armed to the hilt. They are, after all, here to protect us dontchaknow!

I don't trust any nitwit whose first cry for gon control isn't disarming the peace officers. Nothing I fear more in this world than this out of control police state, and the people that ask for more of it

4. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    4,341 comments

11   9:18am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Vicente says

As a former NRA member, I am appalled by their history now that I read about it.

Back in 1968, they lobbied FOR the Gun Control Act.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/09/the-secret-history-of-guns/308608/?single_page=true

In 1968 the NRA was funded and populated by people who considered shooting a sport, not gun manufacturers and self defence fanatics.

5. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    718 threads
    9,918 comments

12   10:22am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

Khaaaaaannnnn!!!!!

Vicente says

Dan's point stands. The "militia" is very selective, only whites are due any outrage.

So you're saying that Black Panthers are only a figment of our imagination?

6. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    998 threads
    12,103 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

13   11:18am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Vicente says

Dan's point stands. The "militia" is very selective, only whites are due any outrage.

I'm not sure they even get outraged when whites are victimized by the government. There are plenty of white victims here that got no sympathy, nonetheless action, from the militia people. Christ, what would it take for these militias that allegedly are protecting our liberties to actually act?

7. FunTime

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    63 threads
    1,180 comments
    San Francisco, CA

14   2:57pm Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Dan8267 says

what would it take for these militias that allegedly are protecting our liberties to actually act?

I suspect it would take an event that unfolds very, very slowly. That would allow them to keep up.

8. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

15   6:34pm Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Dan8267 says

Vicente says

I'm not sure they even get outraged when whites are victimized by the government. There are plenty of white victims here that got no sympathy, nonetheless action, from the militia people. Christ, what would it take for these militias that allegedly are protecting our liberties to actually act?

Timmy McVeigh largely destroyed the american militia movement. In another 10 years, when conservatives try to re-frame him as a hero, the movement will be renewed.

9. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

16   7:47pm Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (3)  

lostand confused says

Maybe I misunderstand, but are you saying any non-white is a not a US citizen?

since when does the 2nd Amendment or any part of the Constitution apply to
    non-US citizens, who are subjects/agents of a foreign government ?

they should not be allowed have arms within the US borders... they have no right to do so.

where do I say white or non-white ?

10. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    998 threads
    12,103 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

17   7:55pm Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

thomaswong.1986 says

since when does the 2nd Amendment or any part of the Constitution apply to

non-US citizens, who are subjects/agents of a foreign government ?

Izhar Khan, the man falsely imprisoned for 20 months, is a U.S. citizen.

11. HEY YOU

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    825 threads
    2,021 comments

18   9:01pm Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

FunTime says

Dan8267 says

what would it take for these militias that allegedly are protecting our liberties to actually act?

I suspect it would take an event that unfolds very, very slowly. That would allow them to keep up.

Good one -"...very, very slowly." ROFLMAO

12. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

19   9:24pm Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Dan8267 says

dont send money to Pakistan and find it going to some terrorist organization.

13. Moderate Infidel

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    712 comments

20   9:56pm Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Looks like the justice system works sometimes.

14. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

21   10:56pm Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

Dan8267 says

You mean "don't be a Muslim", since that's the only thing this guy was guilty of.

15. Moderate Infidel

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    712 comments

22   11:02pm Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Kevin says

You mean "don't be a Muslim",

That's good advice for anyone.

16. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

23   11:44pm Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Kevin says

You mean "don't be a Muslim", since that's the only thing this guy was guilty of.

Suggest you read the article, clearly dont be connected in any way to Terrorist networks.

But It is unlikely a Irish Catholic would be involved in such matters.

17. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

24   12:12am Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

Kevin says

Suggest you read the article, clearly dont be connected in any way to Terrorist networks.

I seriously can't tell if thus is supposed to be sarcasm,

18. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    998 threads
    12,103 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

25   7:16am Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

thomaswong.1986 says

Dan8267 says

1. Money is speech according to the Supreme Court and therefore sending money to a political organization, even one hated by our government, is free speech. Perhaps free speech only exists for corporations today.

2. There is no evidence that Izhar Khan sent money to the Taliban. That is why all charges were dropped.

3. This means that a man spent almost two years in prison without trial on mere "suspicion" of doing something that should not even be illegal.

4. By the definition in the USA Patriot Act, every one of our country's founding fathers was a terrorist, especially George Washington. Should we arrest anyone who donates money to a Washington museum? Terrorism is a marketing term, not an objective group. Should we arrest anyone who gives money to a Baptist Church? They certainly are terrorist from my perspective.

5. The government has paid no price, made no compensation, offered no apology for imprisoning a person for almost two years without ever going to trial. If you don't think this is wrong, you are not a real American. This goes against every principle upon which our country was founded.

19. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    998 threads
    12,103 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

26   7:16am Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Kevin says

thomaswong.1986 says

Kevin says

I seriously can't tell if thus is supposed to be sarcasm,

Never confuse stupidity with sarcasm.

20. dodgerfanjohn

Follow
    Befriend
    33 threads
    1,297 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

27   7:53am Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan, how do you know all that?

The article wasn't clear or specific on any of those things. Furthermore, the article didn't at all explain the prosecutions actions.

21. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    998 threads
    12,103 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

28   7:42pm Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

dodgerfanjohn says

Dan, how do you know all that?

The article wasn't clear or specific on any of those things. Furthermore, the article didn't at all explain the prosecutions actions.

There are many articles on the Internet going into various details of the case as well as coverage by news outlets like RT News and NPR.

Do you have any specific questions?

22. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    152 threads
    5,231 comments

29   8:49am Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

A rifle didn't help that man, don't know if he even had one or simply did not wish to use it. But doesn't this story show you that government can and will use it's force if able to do it's bidding? Not the first time government used police or military force on it's civilians under pretense of it being for common good. Hitler killed a lot of people for common good when he could, and our government will do the same given the opportunity.

I think if we lose our guns the way Diana Nazi Feinstein wants us to. It will be only a matter of time before government starts rounding people up or closing down their businesses who refuse to pay government racket bribes...

23. Moderate Infidel

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    712 comments

30   9:45am Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

IDDQD says

Now, how exactly would being well-armed with assault rifles and high-capacity magazines have helped Izhar Khan?

It would have rallied all the right wing nutters to round up all the muslims and string them up from trees because it would have proved all muslims are terrorists.

24. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

31   9:56am Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

FortWayne says

I think if we lose our guns the way Diana Nazi Feinstein wants us to. It will be only a matter of time before government starts rounding people up or closing down their businesses who refuse to pay government racket bribes...

That damn Jewish Nazi wants to take your guns!

Might as well give up and kill yourself now. Please don't kill anybody else while you're at it.

25. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    152 threads
    5,231 comments

32   10:02am Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Kevin says

Oh come on Kevin, I am not saying she belongs to a Nazi party, she just acts as totalitarian as Nazi's did.

26. Moderate Infidel

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    712 comments

33   10:08am Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

FortWayne says

Oh come on Kevin, I am not saying she belongs to a Nazi party, she just acts as totalitarian as Nazi's did.

Ok Ronnie, be a good boy and take your calm me down meds now. here's your binky, that's a good boy, mommy loves you. Shh, it's alright, mommy will make the Nazi's go away.

27. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

34   10:08am Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

No. Not even remotely close.

Where are the labor camps? Where is the suppression of basic human Rights? Where is the systematic discrimination against anyone not belonging to a certain group?

Gin control doesn't make her a Nazi. It makes her dutch.

28. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

35   10:22am Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

FortWayne says

Kevin says

Feinstein as totalitarian as Nazi's? You are joking right? Either that or woefully ignorant on the degree of Nazi totalitarianism.

29. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    152 threads
    5,231 comments

36   10:34am Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

leo707 says

Feinstein as totalitarian as Nazi's? You are joking right? Either that or woefully ignorant on the degree of Nazi totalitarianism.

Her hands are tied now by laws, but she speaks like those limitations to her control over our lives is a problem.

30. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    152 threads
    5,231 comments

37   10:37am Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Kevin says

No. Not even remotely close.

Where are the labor camps? Where is the suppression of basic human Rights? Where is the systematic discrimination against anyone not belonging to a certain group?

Gin control doesn't make her a Nazi. It makes her dutch.

Her views of big government abridging rights makes her a totalitarist.

And you are talking about suppressing basic human rights? Our government has plenty of examples. We have Guantanamo, occasional incidents that Dan posts about people being falsely imprisoned without trial, how about Japanese Americans during WW2, or any other civil rights discriminations we do in any place we invade?

Our government is only tied down by the constitution and the public support for the rights. Once rights are taken away, I bet you'll see camps on American soil... kind of how prisoners do customer service calls now for $0.01/hour.

31. Moderate Infidel

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    712 comments

38   10:39am Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

IDDQD says

Moderate Infidel says

IDDQD says

Now, how exactly would being well-armed with assault rifles and high-capacity magazines have helped Izhar Khan?

It would have rallied all the right wing nutters to round up all the muslims and string them up from trees because it would have proved all muslims are terrorists.

Please quote correctly. The question you're answering was Dan's, not mine.

My bad, I meant to quote the original.

32. Moderate Infidel

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    712 comments

39   10:41am Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

FortWayne says

Her views of big government abridging rights makes her a totalitarist.

And you are talking about suppressing basic human rights? Our government has plenty of examples. We have Guantanamo, occasional incidents that Dan posts about people being falsely imprisoned without trial, how about Japanese Americans during WW2, or any other civil rights discriminations we do in any place we invade?

Our government is only tied down by the constitution and the public support for the rights. Once rights are taken away, I bet you'll see camps on American soil... kind of how prisoners do customer service calls now for $0.01/hour.

So Dianne Feinstein is the government now? I didn't realize she had absolute power.

33. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    152 threads
    5,231 comments

40   10:44am Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Kevin says

Where is the suppression of basic human Rights?

Her trying to take guns away is an example, 2nd amendment is a basic human right. No totalitarian types ever came in telling people they'll take their rights away, they always did it under the guise of bettering society or often the children. And generally first thing they always do is disarm the civilians.

Nazi's came into power w/ their sets of rules that were very liberal... take guns away, socialize everything, redistribute everything, bring back pensions, abolish income from interest, etc... and look how that turned out.

34. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

41   10:50am Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I give up. You're a moron with no sense of scale or perspective.

35. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    152 threads
    5,231 comments

42   10:58am Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Kevin says

A personal insult, sort of expected and typical, a last refuge of a man who could not refute the argument, unable to accept being wrong.

I'd honestly expect that type of response from 121212, not you Kevin.

36. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

43   11:48am Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

FortWayne says

Kevin says

A personal insult, sort of expected and typical, a last refuge of a man who could not refute the argument, unable to accept being wrong.

I'd honestly expect that type of response from 121212, not you Kevin.

Yeah, not the response I expect from Kevin.

Fort I don't think you are a moron, but I do think that your scale of perspective is a bit off here. You are talking about possibilities of what may happen. I agree that we seem to be heading down the road to a more totalitarian government, but I would certainly not put that on Feinstein or even the Democrats in general. There are some very totalitarian elements of the Republican party these days, but at this point I think it is very premature to call anyone a Nazi.

37. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    998 threads
    12,103 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

44   12:13pm Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

IDDQD says

Dan8267 says

Have you heard about Bad Elk v. United States? Google it.

I agree with the conclusion of Bad Elk vs US that a person has the right to use deadly force against police officers engaging in an illegal arrest.

However, just because this court decision is on paper does not mean that it is in practice. The Supreme Court also ruled that any postal mail recipient can ban receiving any mail (read junk mail) from a mailer based on the recipient considering it lewd or obscene, totally at the discretion of the recipient. The Post Office is legally obligated to not deliver mail from that sender to that recepient thereafter. This was decided in Daniel Rowan vs United States Post Office. Nonetheless, try to get junk mailers banned from sending you mail. Local post offices won't follow the law and local courts won't consider cases against mailers who violate the law even repeatedly.

In reality, 99+% of the time a person resisting unlawful arrest will be beaten and/or killed by the police. 99+% of the time, someone shooting a cop making an illegal arrest will be murdered by the police then and there or later at a traffic stop set up for the purpose of killing him.

I would love to see more instances like the case in Bad Elk v. United States where innocent persons kill corrupt cops in self-defense and the state admits that the innocent persons did no wrong. But that's not reality. I'm glad it happened once, but most of the time the innocent person is either murdered or unjustly imprisoned.

38. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    998 threads
    12,103 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

45   12:15pm Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Heck, I would support a citizen using force, even deadly force, to defend himself against assault and battery committed during a legal and legitimate arrest. If the police get out of hand and assault a person, they are criminals no different than someone without a badge.

39. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

46   8:02pm Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

leo707 says

Yeah, not the response I expect from Kevin.

Fort I don't think you are a moron, but I do think that your scale of perspective is a bit off here. You are talking about possibilities of what may happen. I agree that we seem to be heading down the road to a more totalitarian government, but I would certainly not put that on Feinstein or even the Democrats in general. There are some very totalitarian elements of the Republican party these days, but at this point I think it is very premature to call anyone a Nazi.

Anyone who equates even the worst of our currently elected officials with the evils of the Nazi regime isn't an intelligent person.

There's plenty of room to disagree with policies. There's plenty of room to have rational arguments. There's plenty of room to think that somebody is a bad person.

But Nazis? No. Not even close. That's why I say anybody using this line of reasoning is a moron: They don't want to actually debate an issue, they're just lashing out.

The gun control proposals on the table today are extremely mild compared to what we see in the rest of the developed world. If that makes our politicians "Nazis", then I guess the rest of the world is worse than the Nazi regime?

It's such an absurd argument that there's just no point in continuing to engage with people who use it.

I feel the same way every time some fucking idiot on this board compares taxes to slavery or a minor inconvenience to rape. Taking everything to the extreme is such a low form of debate that only an incredibly stupid person would use it as a serious form.

Dan8267 says

Heck, I would support a citizen using force, even deadly force, to defend himself against assault and battery committed during a legal and legitimate arrest. If the police get out of hand and assault a person, they are criminals no different than someone without a badge.

I live in seattle, so excessive force by police officers is something I've seen all too often, but this is really murky territory. Determining what qualifies as "excessive" can be in the eye of the beholder, and the officers definitely are entrusted with a different standard than the suspect (that's something essential to maintain rule of law).

I've heard it argued that the modern US police system is essentially derived from plantation / colony security: It's a model of containment rather than protection. Keep a certain group from harming another group. That's why cops don't really help protect people in bad neighborhoods in many cities, they protect wealthy people FROM the people in bad neighborhoods.

We definitely need a cultural shift to one where the role of a police officer is that primarily of problem solver and mediator.

I think adopting something like the British constable system might help: Have uniformed, minimally armed officers patrolling the streets and responding to situations where danger is minimal. Armed officers only get brought in on an as-needed basis.

Of course, we live so far apart here that this might not be practical. If calling for armed backup requires a 20 minute wait, a lot of things can go badly.

40. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

47   8:45pm Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Kevin says

I've heard it argued that the modern US police system is essentially derived from plantation / colony security: It's a model of containment rather than protection.

like Irish cops maybe ... back as early 1840s

« First     « Previous comments    

Dan8267 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 1523 milliseconds to create.