« previous   misc   next »

Are you for universal backround checks for gun buyers ?

By marcus   Follow   Sun, 20 Jan 2013, 2:22pm PST   1,134 views   27 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Are you for universal backround checks for gun buyers ?

Yes

No

Comments 1-27 of 27     Last »

thomaswong.1986   Sun, 20 Jan 2013, 2:32pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 1

BTW.. universal sounds far to wide a catch...try national

check for what... 2nd amendment rights.. got a list of ALL US citizens somewhere
with issued national ID cards ... just flash your national ID card/voter card ...

well that opens a box of worms ... dont you think

swebb   Sun, 20 Jan 2013, 2:41pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 2

It sounds good on the surface, but what does it mean? What does a background check entail? Is this just closing the "gun show loophole" or "private buyer/seller loophole" or whatever, or is it redefining something fundamental?

For the most part I'm in favor of some sort of checks for all buyers, but I'm also in favor of people being able to buy guns. I think there is some validity to the argument that an armed populous is a free populous. I also think that the "gun nuts" probably pose more of a risk to our country than the government they fear.

thomaswong.1986   Sun, 20 Jan 2013, 3:06pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 3

swebb says

I also think that the "gun nuts" probably pose more of a risk to our country than the government they fear.

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."

--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

--Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria in On Crimes and Punishment (1764).

lostand confused   Sun, 20 Jan 2013, 3:16pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 4

As with most things, it depends. What exactly will the background check include?

zzyzzx   Sun, 20 Jan 2013, 10:57pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 5

lostand confused says

As with most things, it depends. What exactly will the background check include?

I agree. The details are too important to leave out to make an informed decision. I think a better worded question would be something more along the lines of:

Should the gun show loophole be closed?

Since presumably there should be a good way to do this and still have gun shows.

marcus   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 1:12am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 6

I was testing Patrick's new polling feature.

We already know from large polls that over 90% of American are for this.

lostand confused   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 1:20am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 7

I don't know. They used the Patriot act to catch men hiring hookers-Elliott Spitzer and a bunch of less well known people. What does it include-I am tired of giving too much power to our govt. Is it a stretch to actually ask them what they are going to do , how and why? Why, as in why they think this will lower violence??

CaptainShuddup   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 2:04am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 8

I'm sure we're all in favor of the Spirit, that one would expect is meant by "Universal Background checks" But like "Universal Healthcare" what in the fuck does that even mean?

Was it to hard to ask for "Mandatory" background checks on all firearms purchases? I don't' care anything that is ambiguously implied, because what passes, has never yielded the same results everyone just automatically assumed it would.

I would have to say, that it's not that I'm NOT for Universal background checks, as much as I'm not interested in finding out latter that universal in this case has less to do with what we would think it does and more to open up instances where our liberties are being chiseled away.

I say we go back to basics, if the law makers can't ask the questions the right way, then say no on every single thing, any of them propose.

Universal my ASS!

CaptainShuddup   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 2:06am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 9

marcus says

We already know from large polls that over 90% of American are for this

And 90% of American's are embarrassing stupid.

Moderate Infidel   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 2:11am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 10

CaptainShuddup says

marcus says

I'm with stupid and he's not embarrassed.

Call it Crazy   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 2:21am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)     Comment 11

swebb says

It sounds good on the surface, but what does it mean? What does a background check entail?

Yup... The OP seems like a broad, open ended question..

What actually are we "checking" for in the proposed background check??

Moderate Infidel   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 2:23am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 12

Call it Crazy says

swebb says

It sounds good on the surface, but what does it mean? What does a background check entail?

What actually are "checking" for in the proposed background check??

Criminal history.

Thedaytoday   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 2:25am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 13

CaptainShuddup says

marcus says

and you should know your insights are often embarrassingly stupid

CaptainShuddup   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 2:31am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 14

Well here allow me to predict how this goes down.
There are about 100 security, bio scanner companies, Software vendors in Washington as the Jackals, Hyenas, and Lions are fighting over this Bambi carcuss. While America is pulling out their camera to capture the moment. They don't see the bloody gnashing teeth or hear the fierce roars of the beats. They are all saying a collective "AHHHH" as they snap a shot of poor Bambi, who's seen better days.

What I mean, there will be a lot of privacy intrusion interest that will get Carte blanche to background check people for everything and anything. Not just guns. Buy a car? Background check. Get any job? Background check. Get insurance? background check. enroll in school? Background check. Get married? Background check. Need a background check? Well first you must undergo a background check.

Oh but guns will still be stolen and bought and sold on the black market.
Serine pastoral landscapes will still be disturbed by a gun wielding lunatic, that never had a background check.

CaptainShuddup   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 2:34am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 15

Thedaytoday says

and you should know your insights...

You're one ignore deserving fuckstick.

Thedaytoday   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 3:25am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 16

CaptainShuddup says

Thedaytoday says

and you should know your insights...

You're one ignore deserving fuckstick.

Sticks and stones, fuckwit

Stop embarrassing yourself your a pathetic excuse of a man.

zzyzzx   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 3:32am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 17

Moderate Infidel says

Call it Crazy says

swebb says

What actually are "checking" for in the proposed background check??

Criminal history.

Don't the existing checks already do that?
Or is this the type of thing that's different in each state?

Thedaytoday   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 3:40am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 18

zzyzzx says

Don't the existing checks already do that?

Or is this the type of thing that's different in each state?

Nope, existing checks are not maintained.

Also noteworthy is gun shops do not need to keep inventory lists for the ATF!

thomaswong.1986   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 4:54pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 19

CaptainShuddup says

But like "Universal Healthcare" what in the fuck does that even mean?

vs National for say Nationalist ( US Citizens only )...

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 9:51pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 20

No, because everyone is supposed to be armed at all times, preferably with weaponry that uses belt-fed ammo.

elliemae   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 10:05pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 21

Sure - why not. As long as we have people who are forbidden to have guns, they shouldn't be able to buy them.

Not sure how we can get the guy on the street selling a Saturday night special for $50 to call in a background check, tho. Free cellphones programmed to call them in?

Many areas of the country don't require gun registration. We don't track ownership - and I think it would be damn hard to start now.

dodgerfanjohn   Mon, 21 Jan 2013, 11:48pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 22

Lol@ the idea that some how most criminals that use guns obtain them in a legal manner.

Let me give you a clue. Some guns that are illegally possessed are stolen. The vast majority are illegally shipped here with serial numbers and other identifiers already re-moved.

This is why further laws limiting guns possession are an absolutely futile exercise.

Moderate Infidel   Tue, 22 Jan 2013, 1:16am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 23

dodgerfanjohn says

This is why further laws limiting guns possession are an absolutely futile exercise.

If guns are "possessed" we need to get the Catholic church involved.

FortWayne   Tue, 22 Jan 2013, 1:27am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 24

And one day the background check is ran by the feds, takes 6 month to complete, and only allows government authorities to pass the check.

Where do I sign up for that totalitarian government again?

Moderate Infidel   Tue, 22 Jan 2013, 1:39am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 25

FortWayne says

Try the Republican party.

Thedaytoday   Tue, 22 Jan 2013, 4:11am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 26

FortWayne says

And one day the background check is ran by the feds, takes 6 month to complete, and only allows government authorities to pass the check.

Nope. Idiot.

Thedaytoday   Tue, 22 Jan 2013, 6:28am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 27

elliemae says

Many areas of the country don't require gun registration. We don't track ownership - and I think it would be damn hard to start now.

No, it's possible. Why would you think otherwise?

marcus is moderator of this thread.

Email (Required, will not be visible)

Username (Just pick a name if you're new)

Watch comments by email

home   top   share   link sharer   users   register   best of   about   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net