If the Whales had won, there wouldn't even Be a housing crisis--try the book!! (Advertisement)

Are you for universal backround checks for gun buyers ?

By marcus   Follow   Sun, 20 Jan 2013, 10:22pm   887 views   27 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Are you for universal backround checks for gun buyers ?

Yes

No

Viewing Comments 1-27 of 27     Last »     See most liked comments

1. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,654 comments

1   10:32pm Sun 20 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

BTW.. universal sounds far to wide a catch...try national

check for what... 2nd amendment rights.. got a list of ALL US citizens somewhere
    with issued national ID cards ... just flash your national ID card/voter card ...

well that opens a box of worms ... dont you think

2. swebb

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    30 threads
    601 comments
    Denver, CO

2   10:41pm Sun 20 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

It sounds good on the surface, but what does it mean? What does a background check entail? Is this just closing the "gun show loophole" or "private buyer/seller loophole" or whatever, or is it redefining something fundamental?

For the most part I'm in favor of some sort of checks for all buyers, but I'm also in favor of people being able to buy guns. I think there is some validity to the argument that an armed populous is a free populous. I also think that the "gun nuts" probably pose more of a risk to our country than the government they fear.

3. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,654 comments

3   11:06pm Sun 20 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

swebb says

I also think that the "gun nuts" probably pose more of a risk to our country than the government they fear.

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."

--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

--Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria in On Crimes and Punishment (1764).

4. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    330 threads
    2,460 comments

4   11:16pm Sun 20 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

As with most things, it depends. What exactly will the background check include?

5. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    686 threads
    5,988 comments
    Baltimore, MD

5   6:57am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

lostand confused says

As with most things, it depends. What exactly will the background check include?

I agree. The details are too important to leave out to make an informed decision. I think a better worded question would be something more along the lines of:

Should the gun show loophole be closed?

Since presumably there should be a good way to do this and still have gun shows.

6. marcus

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    189 threads
    6,671 comments

6   9:12am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

I was testing Patrick's new polling feature.

We already know from large polls that over 90% of American are for this.

7. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    330 threads
    2,460 comments

7   9:20am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I don't know. They used the Patriot act to catch men hiring hookers-Elliott Spitzer and a bunch of less well known people. What does it include-I am tired of giving too much power to our govt. Is it a stretch to actually ask them what they are going to do , how and why? Why, as in why they think this will lower violence??

8. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    624 threads
    8,864 comments

8   10:04am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

I'm sure we're all in favor of the Spirit, that one would expect is meant by "Universal Background checks" But like "Universal Healthcare" what in the fuck does that even mean?

Was it to hard to ask for "Mandatory" background checks on all firearms purchases? I don't' care anything that is ambiguously implied, because what passes, has never yielded the same results everyone just automatically assumed it would.

I would have to say, that it's not that I'm NOT for Universal background checks, as much as I'm not interested in finding out latter that universal in this case has less to do with what we would think it does and more to open up instances where our liberties are being chiseled away.

I say we go back to basics, if the law makers can't ask the questions the right way, then say no on every single thing, any of them propose.

Universal my ASS!

9. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    624 threads
    8,864 comments

9   10:06am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

marcus says

We already know from large polls that over 90% of American are for this

And 90% of American's are embarrassing stupid.

10. Moderate Infidel

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    711 comments

10   10:11am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

marcus says

I'm with stupid and he's not embarrassed.

11. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    619 threads
    7,193 comments

11   10:21am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

swebb says

It sounds good on the surface, but what does it mean? What does a background check entail?

Yup... The OP seems like a broad, open ended question..

What actually are we "checking" for in the proposed background check??

12. Moderate Infidel

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    711 comments

12   10:23am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Call it Crazy says

swebb says

It sounds good on the surface, but what does it mean? What does a background check entail?

What actually are "checking" for in the proposed background check??

Criminal history.

13. Thedaytoday

Follow
    Befriend
    46 threads
    530 comments

13   10:25am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

CaptainShuddup says

marcus says

and you should know your insights are often embarrassingly stupid

14. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    624 threads
    8,864 comments

14   10:31am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Well here allow me to predict how this goes down.
    There are about 100 security, bio scanner companies, Software vendors in Washington as the Jackals, Hyenas, and Lions are fighting over this Bambi carcuss. While America is pulling out their camera to capture the moment. They don't see the bloody gnashing teeth or hear the fierce roars of the beats. They are all saying a collective "AHHHH" as they snap a shot of poor Bambi, who's seen better days.

What I mean, there will be a lot of privacy intrusion interest that will get Carte blanche to background check people for everything and anything. Not just guns. Buy a car? Background check. Get any job? Background check. Get insurance? background check. enroll in school? Background check. Get married? Background check. Need a background check? Well first you must undergo a background check.

Oh but guns will still be stolen and bought and sold on the black market.
    Serine pastoral landscapes will still be disturbed by a gun wielding lunatic, that never had a background check.

15. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    624 threads
    8,864 comments

15   10:34am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Thedaytoday says

and you should know your insights...

You're one ignore deserving fuckstick.

16. Thedaytoday

Follow
    Befriend
    46 threads
    530 comments

16   11:25am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

CaptainShuddup says

Thedaytoday says

and you should know your insights...

You're one ignore deserving fuckstick.

Sticks and stones, fuckwit

Stop embarrassing yourself your a pathetic excuse of a man.

17. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    686 threads
    5,988 comments
    Baltimore, MD

17   11:32am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Moderate Infidel says

Call it Crazy says

swebb says

What actually are "checking" for in the proposed background check??

Criminal history.

Don't the existing checks already do that?
    Or is this the type of thing that's different in each state?

18. Thedaytoday

Follow
    Befriend
    46 threads
    530 comments

18   11:40am Mon 21 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

zzyzzx says

Don't the existing checks already do that?

Or is this the type of thing that's different in each state?

Nope, existing checks are not maintained.

Also noteworthy is gun shops do not need to keep inventory lists for the ATF!

19. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,654 comments

19   12:54am Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

CaptainShuddup says

But like "Universal Healthcare" what in the fuck does that even mean?

vs National for say Nationalist ( US Citizens only )...

20. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    314 threads
    8,634 comments

20   5:51am Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

No, because everyone is supposed to be armed at all times, preferably with weaponry that uses belt-fed ammo.

21. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (24)
    445 threads
    7,508 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website

21   6:05am Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Sure - why not. As long as we have people who are forbidden to have guns, they shouldn't be able to buy them.

Not sure how we can get the guy on the street selling a Saturday night special for $50 to call in a background check, tho. Free cellphones programmed to call them in?

Many areas of the country don't require gun registration. We don't track ownership - and I think it would be damn hard to start now.

22. dodgerfanjohn

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    1,090 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

22   7:48am Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Lol@ the idea that some how most criminals that use guns obtain them in a legal manner.

Let me give you a clue. Some guns that are illegally possessed are stolen. The vast majority are illegally shipped here with serial numbers and other identifiers already re-moved.

This is why further laws limiting guns possession are an absolutely futile exercise.

23. Moderate Infidel

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    711 comments

23   9:16am Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

dodgerfanjohn says

This is why further laws limiting guns possession are an absolutely futile exercise.

If guns are "possessed" we need to get the Catholic church involved.

24. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    135 threads
    4,951 comments

24   9:27am Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

And one day the background check is ran by the feds, takes 6 month to complete, and only allows government authorities to pass the check.

Where do I sign up for that totalitarian government again?

25. Moderate Infidel

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    711 comments

25   9:39am Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

FortWayne says

Try the Republican party.

26. Thedaytoday

Follow
    Befriend
    46 threads
    530 comments

26   12:11pm Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

FortWayne says

And one day the background check is ran by the feds, takes 6 month to complete, and only allows government authorities to pass the check.

Nope. Idiot.

27. Thedaytoday

Follow
    Befriend
    46 threads
    530 comments

27   2:28pm Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

elliemae says

Many areas of the country don't require gun registration. We don't track ownership - and I think it would be damn hard to start now.

No, it's possible. Why would you think otherwise?

marcus is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 144 milliseconds to create.