Credit scores expected to continue to improve in 2013

By tvgnus   Follow   Tue, 22 Jan 2013, 9:15am   242 views   4 comments
Watch (2)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.centralvalleybusinesstimes.com/stories/001/?ID=22701

Californians have highest average scores •  Even the lowest average credit score of 689 is still considered to be a good credit score The national average credit score for mortgage applicants increased by four points over 2011 to 734, according to a review of more than 450,000 online mortgage applications received in 2012 by MortgageMarvel.com, of Mequon, Wis., a unit of Davis + Henderson Corporation (TSX: DH) of Toronto, Ontario.

Viewing Comments 1-4 of 4     Last »     See most liked comments

1. denise

Follow
    Befriend
    12 comments
    San Francisco, CA

1   4:31pm Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I got my credit score recently and was surprised to see it come in at only 731. I did have one 60-day late payment in 2007 due to an oversight, but other than that I thought I was about as good a credit risk as I could be.

I don't owe a dime to anyone. I've got two credit cards that I use all the time and pay off every month, both of which I've had for about 20 years. I had mortgages for 28 years that I paid off in 2010 that don't even appear on the report - why is that? - other loans stay on the report for years but the mortgage disappears as soon as it's paid off? I have a few store credit cards that I never use. I own my San Francisco condo outright and have sizable bank accounts and investments.

Who shouldn't be happy to lend me money? I don't get it.

2. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    6,420 comments
    San Jose, CA

2   7:18pm Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

denise says

I don't owe a dime to anyone. I've got two credit cards that I use all the time and pay off every month, both of which I've had for about 20 years.

And therein lies your problem. You no longer have a mortgage and you don't carry a CC balance.

3. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,039 threads
    12,939 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

3   7:59pm Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

New Renter says

And therein lies your problem. You no longer have a mortgage and you don't carry a CC balance.

You're credit score doesn't reflect how likely you are to pay your loan back on time. It reflects how likely the bank is to be able to milk you forever. That's why they give higher ratings to people in constant debt as long as they pay the minimum requirement.

4. Oxygen

Follow
    Befriend
    15 threads
    219 comments
    Brooklyn, NY

4   8:11pm Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

tvgnus is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 43 milliseconds to create.