S&P Breakout, next Step

By SFace   Follow   Tue, 22 Jan 2013, 5:01pm   583 views   7 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

It looks like with Google and IBM, tech will likely be up tommorow and likely take the S&P past 1500. It has broken out, despite a lot of Apple weakness.

The question is where will the next top be before the inevitable pullback?

Just like last year there was a sharp rise in equity between Nov-Mar before the pullback, I think the pullback may come a little ealier in February around 1525 and ahead of headnotes from automatics.

Thoughs?

Viewing Comments 1-7 of 7     Last »     See most liked comments

1. gbenson

Follow
    Befriend
    17 threads
    426 comments

1   5:37pm Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The day I move back in to the markets, I guarantee a long prolonged slump after that..

2. uomo_senza_nome

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    787 threads
    1,542 comments

2   7:23pm Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

SFace says

I think the pullback may come a little ealier in February around 1525 and ahead of headnotes from debt ceiling.

SFace,

The House is expected to vote tomorrow on temporarily raising the debt limit, which pushes the deadline to Mid-May. This bill is welcomed by WH and Senate as well.

My initial thoughts was mid Feb as well, but I think they could keep running higher with some minor pull backs to take a breather.

3. mell

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    297 threads
    3,795 comments
    San Francisco, CA

3   7:37pm Tue 22 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Futures are even/red by now, the 1% gain evaporated already. I expect the top shortly as well, but shortly is bendable and can make and break your trading if its only off by a couple of weeks ;) I mostly trade non-cyclical stocks that I also have an interest in (such as small biotechs with novel ideas), but I have some FAZ/SRS junk just for a hedge - I am too lazy to hedge better than Direxions daily reset crap ETFs ;) But on a hard turnaround these run nicely (on the long run they always depreciate).

4. E-man

Follow
    Befriend (29)
    34 threads
    1,065 comments

4   7:34am Thu 14 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

@SFace,

So the S&P hit your magic number of 1525 yesterday. How are you hedging for the anticipated correction? Did you raise some cash and buy TVIX or something similar?

5. E-man

Follow
    Befriend (29)
    34 threads
    1,065 comments

5   7:36am Thu 14 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

uomo_senza_nome says

The House is expected to vote tomorrow on temporarily raising the debt limit, which pushes the deadline to Mid-May. This bill is welcomed by WH and Senate as well.

My initial thoughts was mid Feb as well, but I think they could keep running higher with some minor pull backs to take a breather.

Did they vote? How high is the new debt ceiling? How much higher do you think the market will go?

6. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    862 threads
    7,323 comments
    Baltimore, MD

6   9:36am Thu 14 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

gbenson says

The day I move back in to the markets, I guarantee a long prolonged slump after that..

Let us know when you get back into the markets. Or better yet, the day before.

7. EBGuy

Follow
    Befriend
    5 threads
    2,550 comments

7   1:55pm Thu 14 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I actually had faith in the GOP to raftify the Grand Bargain 1 & 2. Instead, they consistently snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. No more. They are going to burn this sucker down... the sequester is a comin' and ain't no one gonna stop it. At some point the markets react.

SFace is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 299 milliseconds to create.