The Dangers of Taurine, Commonly Found in Energy Drinks

By Dan8267   Follow   Wed, 23 Jan 2013, 9:37pm   1,378 views   19 comments
In Boca Raton FL 33433   Watch (2)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/dangers-of-taurine/

Studies have implicated synthetic taurine in illnesses ranging from high blood pressure to strokes and seizures to heart disease. For these reasons it’s been banned in some Scandinavian countries after being linked to the deaths of three consumers.

Because taurine is utilized by the body during exercise and in times of stress, it’s become a popular ingredient in energy drinks. But taurine has a stimulating effect on the central nervous system that’s very unnatural.

Opinions on taurine and energy drinks?

Viewing Comments 1-19 of 19     Last »     See most liked comments

1. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    262 threads
    3,281 comments
    San Francisco, CA

1   9:47pm Wed 23 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Maybe the synthetic form is different, but generally I think this is a bit alarmist. Taurine actually has a lot of useful qualities, not only energy stimulation, also certain anti-microbial properties and has gained some interest in the medical community. My guess is that you have to really overdo it with energy drinks plus have a predisposition to develop a severe condition from too much taurine. Most stimulating agents at least temporarily raise BP, this should be known.

2. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    722 threads
    9,977 comments

2   6:40am Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

I've been put in the corner by energy drinks.
    I have learned, if your body is telling you it needs sleep or rest, and you drink energy drinks. It will revolt on your ass, your body has the keys, it will leave you out in middle of nowhere stranded with even out your cellphone.

Energy drinks, has the potential to be some seriously nasty stuff.
    I think there's times you should not drink the stuff, which is when most would think they need it the most.
    For a 2pm pick me up, where you're just tired from fighting monotonous bordoem, it's fine, but if you are using it to recover from a all night drinking binge, and you only had two hours of sleep. The stuff will kill you.

I think they should definitely ban the stuff until more can be determined on when it's safe to use, and when it's not safe to use, if at all. One thing for sure, they should not be sold to anyone under the drinking age.

3. Indiana Jones

Follow
    Befriend
    26 threads
    240 comments

3   7:32am Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

They will not ban these yummy slave-drinks (unless people start dying in the USA). These drinks, like coffee, are an important tool to get the workers to keep working, even though they are exhausted from overworking just to keep their job or to make ends meet. Or to keep workers from going into paralysis or revolt from the sheer numbness of their monotonous job in order to put money into the old man's wallet.

Only if the costs (death of too many workers-- think mandatory seat belt laws) outweigh the gain for the corporations (higher worker productivity) will they change things.

Free coffee , anyone?

4. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,000 threads
    12,204 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

4   8:05am Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Indiana Jones says

Free coffee , anyone?

And I thought I was cynical. :)

5. epitaph

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    14 threads
    378 comments

5   8:25am Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I don't drink anything that comes in a can, except those Brew Free IPA's they sell at Whole Foods.

6. Philistine

Follow
    Befriend
    682 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

6   8:38am Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

The best energy drink is 7 hours of sleep a night, a proper diet, and lots of water throughout the day.

7. Indiana Jones

Follow
    Befriend
    26 threads
    240 comments

7   9:42am Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

And I thought I was cynical. :)

Although I stand by what I said, the truth can be said a little more gently. Maybe I should've had my cup of slave-juice before I posted this morning. :)

8. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    456 threads
    7,663 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

8   2:15pm Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (2)   Protected  

I was in the grocery store today, and a worker was pushing Crystal Light, which is a powder that you add to water. It used to come in pitcher form like kool-aid, but now it seems to be mostly marketed to add to single serving water bottles.

So the woman politely asked me to try a sample. I told her that I couldn't drink it because of a food allergy (It's alot easier than saying that I don't use anything with aspartame), and she got snippy! She told me that it was healthy and that there was absolutley nothing in there that I could be allergic to.

So I told her that it contains aspartame, and she called me a liar! Then another woman came by and told her that she was full of shit... and it went downhill from there. I walked away and they stayed, arguing with a manager headed down the aisle. It was crazy.

I think she drank too much crystal light...

9. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    107 threads
    4,086 comments

9   2:37pm Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

They say Crystal Light ingredients vary by flavor, but all the ones I've seen contain aspartame, including the "natural lemonade."

One thing I don't understand about American retail: the juice aisle contains dozens of juices "from concentrate" but you can't buy the concentrate. In other countries, the concentrate is cheaper because it's more compact, easier to ship and shelve. Here, it's a premium item in the freezer section or sold as "mio" and it costs extra. If it doesn't need to be frozen after adding water, it shouldn't need to be frozen before adding water. Since it's 1/5 the volume and weight, it should be cheaper. It always bothers me a little to buy "from concentrate" when I would rather just buy the concentrate, which should be cheaper but instead costs more.

10. Oxygen

Follow
    Befriend
    15 threads
    214 comments
    Brooklyn, NY

10   3:07pm Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

5 cents a pill

11. uomo_senza_nome

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    787 threads
    1,542 comments

11   4:36am Sun 27 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

curious2 says

One thing I don't understand about American retail: the juice aisle contains dozens of juices "from concentrate" but you can't buy the concentrate.

If you want healthy food, you have to pay the price in America.

Follow that as the premise and you can understand everything.

The "from concentrate" stuff uses less concentrate and more cheap crap added into it and therefore sold at a lower cost.

12. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    722 threads
    9,977 comments

12   9:29am Sun 27 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

elliemae says

So I told her that it contains aspartame, and she called me a liar! Then another woman came by and told her that she was full of shit... and it went downhill from there. I walked away and they stayed, arguing with a manager headed down the aisle. It was crazy.

You did good Ellie. Way to spread the Patnet spirit.

13. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    456 threads
    7,663 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

13   10:31am Sun 27 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Seems to me like we've created a bunch of diseases with all of the food additives, pollutants in the air, and in my neck of the woods there was a shitload of nuclear fallout.

Hell, my friends & family even went outside to watch the clouds come. And my class reunions are getting smaller, what with the cancer and all.

14. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    722 threads
    9,977 comments

14   5:46pm Sun 27 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

elliemae says

Hell, my friends & family even went outside to watch the clouds come.

Wow so you were from a Nookular family? Did you guys live in a Streamliner and BBQ hotdogs and hamburgers by the front door to watch the Mushroom clouds? How far away did you guys live?

All of those Actors from the 50's and 60's that played in those Biblical epic saga, and Western movies in that era all have died from Cancer.
    Those movies were all filmed in the desert just miles from the test site.

15. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    107 threads
    4,086 comments

15   5:50pm Sun 27 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  
  16. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    456 threads
    7,663 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

16   8:11pm Sun 27 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

I wasn't here for the tests, came into the world a bit after. My friend's families tell about how they went outside to watch the clouds and were told that it was safe. Supposedly the radio reports told them to stay inside, but no one I know remembers it that way.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55709611-78/nuclear-utah-test-weapons.html.csp

I like this one better:
    http://www.nytimes.com/1994/01/11/us/cold-war-chill-lingers-downwind-from-a-nuclear-bomb-testing-site.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Remember that long after the tests, we were eating and drinking foods that were cultivated in contaminated soils. The milk produced by the local dairies were transported both north and south of here. So, even though the government valued the lives of Vegas residents over those of St. George, they still gave them cancer through milk products and other foods. And the hay grown in Enterprise & Beryl was used to feed animals all over the west.

Can anyone say "tainted meat?"

17. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,000 threads
    12,204 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

17   7:21am Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

elliemae says

I think she drank too much crystal light...

Maybe it's called Crystal Light because it contains crystal meth?

18. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    456 threads
    7,663 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

18   12:11am Wed 30 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Dan8267 says

Maybe it's called Crystal Light because it contains crystal meth?

If that's the case, it would actually be worth the money they charge.

19. Mick Russom

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    7 threads
    582 comments
    Belmont, CA

19   12:47am Wed 30 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

I've been put in the corner by energy drinks.

Same here. They will kill you.

Dan8267 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 87 milliseconds to create.