Revealed at last: The most wanted office perks

By tvgnus   Follow   Thu, 24 Jan 2013, 4:37am   524 views   11 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.centralvalleybusinesstimes.com/stories/001/?ID=22714

What motivates workers to stay with companies •  Being compensated well will always be a top consideration, but Nearly one-third of employers (32 percent) say that at least some of their top performers left their organizations in 2012 and 39 percent are concerned that theyll lose more top talent this year.

Viewing Comments 1-11 of 11     Last »     See most liked comments

1. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    850 threads
    10,950 comments

1   5:40am Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (2)  

It's all I consider, I usually interrupt the interviewer to let them know I'm not interested in perks. Because I've never seen a "PERK" that the Employee didn't damn well pay every penny for that benny or service. I just want to know how much it pays, that is the only benefit I'm interested in.

2. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    803 threads
    6,885 comments
    Baltimore, MD

2   7:11am Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

CaptainShuddup says

Because I've never seen a "PERK" that the Employee didn't damn well pay every penny for that benny or service. I just want to know how much it pays, that is the only benefit I'm interested in.

That and perks seem to go away over time. At least they did at Wells Fargo when I worked there. 401K, medical, dental, and vacation is all you really need.

3. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,037 threads
    12,786 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

3   9:36am Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Compensation and job security are most important. If a company offered you a contract guaranteeing employment for 30 year at $300,000 / yr in year 2010 dollars, any middle class person not close to retirement would take it even if there were no "perks" or benefits.

Compensation and job security are what really matters, and those are the two things that companies don't want to provide. Perks are just distractions to get people to forget about how bad the compensation and security is.

4. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    6,270 comments
    San Jose, CA

4   9:44am Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Flexible schedules are a requirement for high density areas like the SFBA. The roads can' t handle the peak volumes as it is.

5. Philistine

Follow
    Befriend
    689 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

5   5:47pm Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Monthly birthday parties in the company mess hall where I can eat WalMart birthday cake with strangers from the warehouse

$5 Target gift cards for everybody at the holiday party

The holiday party is non-partner/spouse and bottomless Franzia

Handies from the fat HR lady on Wednesday's

Microwaves and fridges that haven't been cleaned since 1986

6. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    395 threads
    10,832 comments

6   7:58pm Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Yams.

7. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

7   8:30pm Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Compensation and job security are most important. If a company offered you a contract guaranteeing employment for 30 year at $300,000 / yr in year 2010 dollars, any middle class person not close to retirement would take it even if there were no "perks" or benefits.

Compensation and job security are what really matters, and those are the two things that companies don't want to provide. Perks are just distractions to get people to forget about how bad the compensation and security is.

I wouldn't take that offer.

Over a certain income threshold, it be comes about how much you enjoy the work rather than what you get paid.

8. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,037 threads
    12,786 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

8   8:49pm Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Kevin says

Over a certain income threshold, it be comes about how much you enjoy the work rather than what you get paid.

If you make enough money, you can stop working for someone else and do the work you really want to the way you really want to.

9. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    262 threads
    5,729 comments
    Davis, CA

9   8:51pm Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Philistine says

Microwaves and fridges that haven't been cleaned since 1986

Hey, we work in the same office!

10. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    467 threads
    7,776 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

10   10:26pm Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)   Protected  

I would appreciate being treated like a professional, by a professional manager. Not someone who was promoted because he kisses ass.

11. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    395 threads
    10,832 comments

11   11:07pm Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I had a job for three weeks once and I just wanted to throw myself off the roof. How people put up with random strangers running most of their waking hours is beyond me.

tvgnus is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 73 milliseconds to create.