Ideas on how to use less energy (Advertisement)

Windows 8 upgrade pricing ends Jan 31st

By YesYNot   Follow   Thu, 24 Jan 2013, 2:21pm   329 views   4 comments
In Reston VA 20194   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I thought some people might appreciate a reminder. Win8 upgrade prices go from $40 to $200 on Feb 1st. The win 8 version of media center is also no longer going to be free, but from now until Jan 31st, you can get a free license for that. I installed it on my HTPC & it seems to be working out well. I may get a couple of extra copies for my vista machines, but am not sold on installing for a work computer yet.

Viewing Comments 1-4 of 4     Last »     See most liked comments

1. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    679 threads
    5,961 comments
    Baltimore, MD

1   4:57pm Thu 24 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (2)  

Another reason to use Linux.

2. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    619 threads
    8,817 comments

2   5:53am Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

YesYNot says

Win8 upgrade prices go from $40 to $200 on Feb 1st

Yeah like that oughta sweeten the pot.

3. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    944 threads
    11,110 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

3   7:44am Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Buy now or forever be priced out of a crappy operating system. The price of operating systems only goes up. You could buy a license today and sell it after Jan 31 for a profit! Oh shit, you actually could do that. Forget I said that.

4. YesYNot

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    17 threads
    471 comments
    Reston, VA

4   11:19am Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

^ I don't know, but the 'oem' version that home builders can use is currently cheaper than $200, but much >> $40.
    If you upgrade to windows 8, it gives you an option for a basically fresh install. It does not reformat, and keeps your old files in a single folder. But, I think it gives you a fresh registry with no old program settings or crap like that.

^ Dan, for that reason, I think you will be able to get licenses much cheaper than $200 for a while on ebay.

YesYNot is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 121 milliseconds to create.