« previous   misc   next »

Windows 8 upgrade pricing ends Jan 31st

By YesYNot   Follow   Thu, 24 Jan 2013, 6:21am PST   462 views   4 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I thought some people might appreciate a reminder. Win8 upgrade prices go from $40 to $200 on Feb 1st. The win 8 version of media center is also no longer going to be free, but from now until Jan 31st, you can get a free license for that. I installed it on my HTPC & it seems to be working out well. I may get a couple of extra copies for my vista machines, but am not sold on installing for a work computer yet.

Comments 1-4 of 4     Last »

zzyzzx   Thu, 24 Jan 2013, 8:57am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (2)     Comment 1

Another reason to use Linux.

CaptainShuddup   Thu, 24 Jan 2013, 9:53pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)     Comment 2

YesYNot says

Win8 upgrade prices go from $40 to $200 on Feb 1st

Yeah like that oughta sweeten the pot.

Dan8267   Thu, 24 Jan 2013, 11:44pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 3

Buy now or forever be priced out of a crappy operating system. The price of operating systems only goes up. You could buy a license today and sell it after Jan 31 for a profit! Oh shit, you actually could do that. Forget I said that.

YesYNot   Fri, 25 Jan 2013, 3:19am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 4

^ I don't know, but the 'oem' version that home builders can use is currently cheaper than $200, but much >> $40.
If you upgrade to windows 8, it gives you an option for a basically fresh install. It does not reformat, and keeps your old files in a single folder. But, I think it gives you a fresh registry with no old program settings or crap like that.

^ Dan, for that reason, I think you will be able to get licenses much cheaper than $200 for a while on ebay.

YesYNot is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email

home   top   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net