Beware-Internet Scammers Are Getting Very Good!!!!

By ohomen171   Follow   Fri, 25 Jan 2013, 4:52am   552 views   9 comments
In Pacifica CA 94044   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Yesterday I got a very official-looking email telling me that my American Express card had been frozen due to a security issue. I was told to go to a website and give information. On one hand, I thought the email might be legitimate as I had just used the card to buy a couple of books at a book seller in South Africa who I have done business with for decades. On the other hand I as very suspicious and felt uncomfortable about the whole thing. I took the time to call American Express. There was no security hold on my account. The whole email had been a trick to try to get me to give up all the information on my American Express card so that thieves could drain it of money. My friends be alert at all time.

Viewing Comments 1-9 of 9     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    804 threads
    10,040 comments

1   8:21am Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

You mean I won't be getting my percentage of the transfer from the email I received from the guy in Nigeria???

Damn......

2. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    274 threads
    3,479 comments
    San Francisco, CA

2   8:22am Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

CC / financial companies never correspond via email about this issues. The only thing you will get in your external email inbox is ATM transaction and shopping payment confirmations, but it is never interactive (you have to go through the phone for the other stuff).

3. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    392 threads
    10,763 comments

3   8:59am Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Never be pulled in any direction by any unsolicited communications, whether it be by email, SMS, telephone, fax or even postage. (Yes, fraudsters are using the post again, likely using scammy marketing lists that are designed for them by 'marketing' companies that provide postal info with their databases.)

Delete, hang-up, crumple and toss immediately. If you have any interest in checking the validity of a communication, pick up your last few monthly statements and use the numbers provided there and place a call inbound to them. They'll have your records and will be able to provide advice. If the information you received was bogus, and it always is, you'll help them by reporting it.

4. epitaph

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    15 threads
    416 comments

4   9:23am Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

File you tax returns asap. This will be another banner year.

5. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    51 threads
    1,748 comments
    Dublin, CA

5   10:31am Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

This problem will be solved quickly if we use our predator drones to surgically remove certain motherfuckers in eastern europe.

6. CL

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    184 threads
    1,882 comments
    Emeryville, CA

6   11:38am Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Further, you should not divulge any information whether on email or even the phone. You should only give out information if you are the one that originated the dialogue.

Another risk is from those who know you. They can call or write Mom, Dad, neighbors, etc and ask things about you and use that info to do other things. You might not even have a chance to thwart them is what I'm sayin'.

7. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,037 threads
    12,777 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

7   12:32pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The fact that such scammers aren't caught and prosecuted proves that all the human and civil rights violations we put up with to make us "more secure" aren't doing shit to increase security.

It would be trivial for the police to go through the motions a victim of a scam would go through and trace down the scammers if all this Big Brother bullshit did one damn thing to protect us from "bad guys". Think about that the next time the state says your teenage daughter needs to be strip searched to protect us from terrorists. They can't even get con artists stealing credit.

8. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    845 threads
    10,918 comments

8   9:37am Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

I should make an email filter that converts spam into fan mail.
    Replace things like "Enlarge your Johnson with just this one pill"
    with "Hey man your IQ test results are in, and you're awesome!"
    or "Every time I'm mad I think of you".

9. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,658 threads
    6,341 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA

9   9:56am Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

It would be a lot of fun to scam the scammers. There is already this site:

http://www.419eater.com/

But it would be even more fun to actually use spam for something productive. Back when I got a lot of physical junk mail I would dream of signing up for more of it and using it to heat the house. Fuel delivered to my mailbox, every day, free!

ohomen171 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 96 milliseconds to create.