Bobby Jindal: " GOP needs to stop being the stupid party"

By edvard2   Follow   Fri, 25 Jan 2013, 8:34am   5,034 views   111 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

I thought this was rather interesting: A rising star in the GOP at a major RNC convention not only said of the GOP "stop being the stupid party" but he also said:

"It’s time for a new Republican Party that talks like adults,” “We had a number of Republicans damage the brand this year with offensive and bizarre comments. I’m here to say we’ve had enough of that.”

OMG. I think this is actually one of the few times I've totally agreed with a Republican politician.

Most Liked Comments

Sort by time instead  
  1. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

1   10:40am Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (6)   Dislike  

The GOP should adopt a moderate libertarian platform. Oppose prohibition, stop the homophobia, stop the abortion bus, stop being anti science, scale back the military industrial complex, and focus on fiscal policies rooted in sound free market economics instead of religion.

They will gain all of the social issues democrats and moderates. They might lose the Evangelical vote if the democrats also change. They'll pick up a huge chunk of politically jaded non voters who have libertarian leanings.

Most importantly, intelligent Americans will actually have two legitimate choices again. Its impossible for me to even consider voting for a party full of anti science bigots.

2. justme

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    38 threads
    4,121 comments

2   9:57am Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Being the stupid-party worked well for GOP from 1980 to 2008. I think they will have a hard time stopping now.

They may try harder not to LOOK like they are the stupid-party. That also worked pretty well from 1980-2008. The question is, have the public gotten any smarter in the meanwhile?

3. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    268 threads
    5,955 comments
    Davis, CA

3   10:43am Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Jindal will be branded a RINO and relegated to the fringe just like all similar moderate elements before him.

4. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    116 threads
    4,363 comments

4   4:05pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

edvard2 says

I think this is actually one of the few times I've totally agreed with a Republican politician.

That's what he wants you think. If you look more closely though, he was only suggesting greater stealth next time. He didn't say anything about admitting that their platform was fundamentally wrong. He certainly didn't say anything about apologizing. He only said they needed to keep quiet about it. Basically, instead of being the loudmouth Rush Limbaugh party, he wants them to be the furtive Larry Craig party, because it's easier to fool people if you don't talk about what you're planning to do. And their party still depends, fundamentally, on fooling people into voting against their own interests. That's why they can't jettison the religious fundamentalists. They need $$$ from crony capitalists and endorsements from preachers in order to get the votes of religious fanatics. Half of all Americans believe the earth and man were created in their current form less than 10,000 years ago, as described in Genesis; they reject evolution and geology and they would probably still believe in geocentrism if their preachers told them to. Throw in a slick TV campaign, and scare the daylights out of people with war all over the world, and you can have a winning combination at the polls, as W demonstrated in 2004.

I'd love to see a major party stand for balanced budgets, peace abroad, freedom and prosperity at home. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough patronage money or sectarian bloodlust in that platform to compete with the existing major party patronage networks.

5. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    268 threads
    5,955 comments
    Davis, CA

5   8:26pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

cover up a full blown al Qaeda attach

Can you even conceive that this theory is completely insane?

I like a good conspiracy as much as the next guy, but this is a whole new level of just stupid. A conspiracy should at least be about something REAL and meaningful, not something a large chunk of Americans couldn't give a shit about whichever way it went down.

It's piss-ant bullshit that was CORRECTED later. Let's contrast this, did Bush and Cheney admit there were never any WMD and they shouldn't have invaded Iraq? NOOOOPE! Were there any concrete major military actions that hung on the outcome of which way the State Department reported their knowledge of Benghazi? NOOOPE!

6. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    116 threads
    4,363 comments

6   8:59pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Kevin says

Rand Paul is also an ultra social conservative.

His dad moved from Pennsylvania to Texas, so the acorn rolled downhill a long way from the tree. Same story with W and his parents. Not everybody in Texas is a jerk, for example Molly Ivins and Ann Richards and even Buddy Holly were all Texan, but most of the "men" get so riled up about God & Guns that they can't think about anything else. It might be even worse among some first generation Texans, who might grow up feeling a need to prove themselves "real Texans" and not closet Yankees.

7. marcus

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    203 threads
    7,517 comments

7   4:21pm Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Kevin says

This is such bullshit that it makes me happy. Republicans can't find anything legitimate to complain about, so they're wasting time grasping at straws.

I agree.

The interesting thing is that with their constant reinforcement from the right wing entertainment complex, they have no idea how stupid they look.

We are learning that dishonest propaganda eventually can have the opposite of the intended effect, even while the faithful are lapping it up and creaming their jeans.

Here's a favorite of mine, that has absolutely zero chance of putting a dent into the blind idiocy of the right wing dim bulbs that think there is some wrong doing here.

Major oops moment on Fox:

http://www.upworthy.com/the-one-where-a-national-security-expert-says-what-we-all-know-to-fox-newss-face?c=to2

8. Thedaytoday

Follow
    Befriend
    46 threads
    530 comments

8   12:15pm Sun 27 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

edvard2 says

Bobby Jindal: " GOP needs to stop being the stupid party"

Which is why Jindal should leave the party of fools.

9. Thedaytoday

Follow
    Befriend
    46 threads
    530 comments

9   12:16pm Sun 27 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Vicente says

Let's take the case of Jon Huntsman. Bobby Jindal is irrelevant.

Neither of them are future leaders of the GOP. They have no political power.

10. Thedaytoday

Follow
    Befriend
    46 threads
    530 comments

10   12:18pm Sun 27 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

Kevin says

Dead people can't be disgusted.

"In History I'll be dead..." GWB

10 seconds ago is history, yesterday is history, does that mean he is dead? No, typical GW.

11. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    4,826 comments

11   9:58am Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

thomaswong.1986 says

You didnt need Bush, Good ol Al Gore was talking about WMD and terrorists links long before the 2000 election..

If you can't tell the difference between talking about threats and sending in troops then you aren't qualified to participate in this discussion.

12. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    268 threads
    5,955 comments
    Davis, CA

12   3:14pm Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

when you take your first MBA class

Yeah MBA will give you the real scoop.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVDGmjz7eM

NOT!

13. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

13   3:49pm Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

either way, it just illustrates the hate by the left of anyone being successful.

Why would anyone " Hate" anyone that is successful? That's a fairly gross assumption. Clearly people on the left like music just like those on the right. They also like various companies that make the products they like. And of course many on the right Like President Obama who is a success as well.

14. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

14   7:48pm Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

either way, it just illustrates the hate by the left of anyone being successful.

Nobody hates anybody for being successful.

What I do *hate* is the moronic misunderstanding of progressive taxation. When you take your first economics class (MANDATORY if you're trying to get an MBA), you'll learn all about why progressive taxation has proven to be the most successful model in the world, and how it saved capitalism in the 20th century.

If a guy makes $400k a year, that's fantastic. Good for him. But yes, he should be paying a higher tax rate than the guy making $200, and the guy making $200 should be paying a higher rate than the guy making $50.

It's just sound economic policy.

By the way -- I am successful. I didn't quite hit $400k last year, but I came really close. I've started, run, and sold my own business more than once. Don't give me this bullshit lie.

Unless you live in a state with a B&O tax (I'm guessing you don't even know what that is), taxes come on your profits. As a result, taxes have fuck-all to do with the success or failure of a business or what you invest in it. If you want to invest to grow your business, that's called an "expense", and you DON'T PAY TAXES ON IT. All taxes impact are, at most, the disposable income of the person receiving the profits.

No real business owner makes any real business decisions based on what his tax rate is going to be (other than, perhaps, figuring out how to avoid paying taxes). They hire based on demand. They grow based on revenue. They succeed or fail not because of their tax rate, but because they figure out how to make a profit to be taxed in the first place.

If you want to talk about government policy that helps or harms small businesses, you can legitimately gripe about regulations, business license fees, etc. Taxes don't mean shit.

15. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

15   4:21pm Thu 31 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

CL says

And that dude was drunk and on coke the entire time he was a bad businessman.

Hey, hey. No need to be nasty, let's be fair.

Bush was not drunk and on coke the entire time he was a bad businessman. At some point he quit the drink and drugs and was a perfectly sober bad businessman for a good part of his career.

16. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

16   8:59am Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The thing is that I heard this on the radio: Many of the GOP leaders present were clapping. Obviously many agree and approve.

17. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

17   11:02am Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Vicente says

Jindal will be branded a RINO and relegated to the fringe just like all similar moderate elements before him.

Yep, I don't think his star is going to be rising much longer.

18. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

18   11:17am Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

edvard2 says

Hard to say. Its fairly clear from hearing the applause during his speech that other GOP members also know that they need to change direction. If they don't, they're going to become irrelevant.

I agree that it is hard to say, and it is possible that more moderate minds regain control of the party, but currently it is hard for me to imagine the GOP turning their back on FOX "news" and the Tea Party.

The Democrat party's leadership of today is arguably about as conservative as Regan. I could see the RINOs joining Democrats and a new "liberal" party emerging.

19. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    268 threads
    5,955 comments
    Davis, CA

19   2:37pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

edvard2 says

The thing is that I heard this on the radio: Many of the GOP leaders present were clapping. Obviously many agree and approve.

Clapping doesn't mean squat. People clap out of politeness, or just because they are the sorts of people who have bothered to show up to an event where Jindal was speaking. Does his audience represent a cross-section of GOP voters?

Boehner said today he wants to make abortion "a relic of the past".

The GOP is run entirely by zealots these days, there's just no getting around it. Trotting out a few fringers to say "see look how moderate & reasonable we can be!" just doesn't wash.

20. Thedaytoday

Follow
    Befriend
    46 threads
    530 comments

20   8:37pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Kevin says

The paul family is not "moderate libertarian". They're extremist libertarians who want virtually no government. That's not an attractive platform for very many people.

A moderate libertarian would accept the validity of government programs while working to minimize them.

The Rand Paul is also your tea party Representative

edvard2 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 203 milliseconds to create.