Vintage 1989 RE Article- Bay Area versus Dallas

By tannenbaum   Follow   Fri, 25 Jan 2013, 1:28pm   522 views   9 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1989-12-09/news/8903160674_1_dallas-area-bay-area-bedroom

Same old story, only this time from 23+ years ago. What's the old saying - the more things change, well you know the rest.

Viewing Comments 1-9 of 9     Last »     See most liked comments

1. B.A.C.A.H.

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    8 threads
    2,727 comments

1   7:28pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Well that is interesting. The article is about a young couple who left the Left Coast for greener prairies in Dallas.
    I googled their names to see how things worked out in the big-D. Guess what! One of them has a linked in listing that says "San Francisco Bay Area."
    So yep, to finish your sentence
    "... the more things stay the same."

2. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

2   7:37pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

tannenbaum says

Same old story, only this time from 23+ years ago. What's the old saying - the more things change, well you know the rest.

my old employer who leased multiple buildings/property and employeed well over 10,000 employees in Santa Clara county packed their bags starting in the late 80s and started the move to Austin.. Today.. AMD is is more well known Texas company than Silicon valley. Others also moved... In to SouthWest and North West... Intel, HP, National Semi, SunMicro and many others. You had to been in SV to see the difference compared to today..

So ... no! it wasnt the same old story.. it was only the beginning.

3. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

3   7:42pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

"After they moved to Dallas, the couple took a two-bedroom, two-bath townhouse for $615 a month. Kristi said she had one friend who was paying $1,000 a month for a small one-bedroom apartment in Foster City, south of San Francisco, and another paying $1,500 a month for a two-bedroom flat in San Francisco`s Marina district."

in santa clara .. rent was $500 for 1/1,.. $450 or less in so san jose.

and of course NO HYPE .. nothing by anyone like you see today...

4. B.A.C.A.H.

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    8 threads
    2,727 comments

4   7:44pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

When AMD packed its bags, the new behemoths in Silicon Valley did not exist yet.

I am not at all thrilled with the shift from real manufacturing of real stuff using chemistry and physics, to Cool-and-Hip "media companies" (nothing tech about it). But it's still a large job base with good payroll for the region.

There have been waves of dominant industries leaving the region for greener pastures, to make way for new ones. What changes is who the employers are, what stays the same is the trend.

5. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

5   7:51pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

B.A.C.A.H. says

What changes is who the employers are, what stays the same is the trend.

Horrible trend.. one would expect more than 340 public companies we had early 90s or 400 by 2000.. but we are down to low 200s. I am waiting for a miracle to happen.. but far less than those who overpaid several times over than me.. they bet everything to see IF we will outdo the 80s and 90s.

Unless we sober up and re-shift back to a pro-tech pro-business attitude we will continue to fool ourself with these meaningless Cool and Hip media companies...

6. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

6   7:54pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

B.A.C.A.H. says

When AMD packed its bags, the new behemoths in Silicon Valley did not exist yet.

when AMD packed it bags we were, i think, far more larger than by 2000 by workforce employed. By 2000, the facilities vacancies were high at 15% and increased to 20-25% today.

7. B.A.C.A.H.

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    8 threads
    2,727 comments

7   7:59pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

but far less than those who overpaid several times over than me.. they bet everything to see IF we will outdo the 80s and 90s.

Yes and no.

Lotsa the new wave of buyers in The Fortress are elites from Asia, or their kids that they sent to graduate school here. If they got a foothold outside of places that are about to implode, they did not overpay.

8. justme

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    38 threads
    4,072 comments

8   8:20pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

tannenbaum says

he more things change, well you know the rest.

I was going to pull a W, and say:

The more things change, shame on you.

9. tannenbaum

Follow
    Befriend
    4 threads
    76 comments

9   8:34pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

B.A.C.A.H. says

Well that is interesting. The article is about a young couple who left the Left Coast for greener prairies in Dallas.
    I googled their names to see how things worked out in the big-D. Guess what! One of them has a linked in listing that says "San Francisco Bay Area."
    So yep, to finish your sentence
    "... the more things stay the same."

LOL. too funny. Well, on page 2 of the article the wife admits that they want to move back to California within 5 to 10 years, despite the greener pastures of Dallas. It appears that's exactly what they did.

tannenbaum is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 53 milliseconds to create.